Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: SVO upflow design with photos!

Re: Critique my upflow design

Quote Originally Posted by pangit View Post
    As for the drill pump, won't it work with a battery drill on slow? Since it's a displacement pump shouldn't it work at any speed? And when you say the orange ones I'm assuming you mean like this one?
    Battery drills are fine However to overcome the internal friction of the pump you need the turning at a decent speed. Once again they will be too fast even at a 10th of the speed i run them. you want something real slow 3 litres p/m max i recon.
    Cheers Sean
    P.s have to catch up soon, Elsa is due out of the panel beaters in a week so the fastest and prettyest merc will be right to roll again.

Nick
    Cheers
    Nick.
    Harold 2002 Toyota Landcruiser 105 series. 4.2lt turbo glide turbo, Too lazy to make bio nowdays times money. 3'' lift.

Roidio 2001 Holden Rodeo 4x4 2.8L TD. 2.5" exhaust sytem, H/E shower system. 4" Lift, Airbags, And lots of fruit, B100 for 55,000 . SOLD

Elsa 1983 Mercedes-Benz W123 300D. Still The Fastest Merc in Oz, Self built and Female proofed. COUSINS NOW

Cheers Nick, I actually ordered a bilge pump in the end so I'll see how that goes when it arrives.

It would be good to see your Merc in action. Thought about converting it to WVO yet?
    Sean

Oh I see.

I think Dave Jones was joking ya know. But at least the 300D would still drive without the eletrics I would think. Anyways We should get back to seans upflow someday hey??
    Cheers Nick.
    Cheers
    Nick.
    Harold 2002 Toyota Landcruiser 105 series. 4.2lt turbo glide turbo, Too lazy to make bio nowdays times money. 3'' lift.

Roidio 2001 Holden Rodeo 4x4 2.8L TD. 2.5" exhaust sytem, H/E shower system. 4" Lift, Airbags, And lots of fruit, B100 for 55,000 . SOLD

Elsa 1983 Mercedes-Benz W123 300D. Still The Fastest Merc in Oz, Self built and Female proofed. COUSINS NOW

Nick,
    Point taken, I have deleted all off-topic posts (including mine) so that we can get back to critique Pangit's upflow design.

Regards,
    Tony
    Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
    '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel single tank using 95% used cooking oil and 5% to 10% misfuel (where someone had filled diesel vehicle with petrol).
    '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab. Running on used cooking oil with 5% to 10% misfuel.
    Toyota Camry Hybrid - (Wife's Car)

Previous Vehicles:
    '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup. Died when supercharger stuck at max boost for weeks. Stretched head bolts.
    '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
    '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Donor for current Fatmobile coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
    '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
    '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
    Adding images and/or documents to your posts

And I missed out on all the fun before the posts were deleted. But being a moderator I can read them anyway!

I didn't mind it going off topic really, as long as the posts remained friendly (which they were)!

Back on topic, I've tweaked the design yet again and am fairly happy with it now:

The major changes I've made are to incorporate the filtering/drying into one tank and have a separate sealed storage tank as per David's suggestion, and mount them on the floor instead of a raised stand as I don't really need bottom drains for them. I can just stick my drum pump in the bottom to remove any crap that may periodically build up (which should not be too often).

I've got all the bits I need, and will be assembling it over the next few weeks (time permitting). I'll post a photo of the finished setup when it's done.
    Last edited by pangit; 1st September 2008 at 01:41 PM.
    Sean

Finally after over 4 months it's done! It's almost identical to the final design, as you can see from the photos:

WVO goes in the small drum on right, and is pumped into the bottom of the upflow drum with a bilge pump (which runs off the car battery underneath). The little 400gph pump couldn’t pump it any higher than the level you see in the photo, so I got a bigger 1250gph pump you can see in the foreground, which I will plumb in shortly. I want it to be as slow as possible but still do the job (so it doesn’t disturb the crap at the bottom), so if it is too powerful I can adjust it with a variable resistor.

You can’t see it but there’s a drain valve underneath the upflow drum attached to the ¾” outlet. You can just about see the vent tube coming out from behind the upflow drum back into the small drum in case it overflows.

The WVO comes out of the top of the upflow tank (or the one half way up if I’m low on WVO – thanks for the idea Tim-HJ61) into the 5μ bag filter. The OKI bucket and the MDF lid have large holes so the oil drops straight into the drying drum. That's an old QB70 pump, now in it's third life and still going strong! (originally it was on my biodiesel reactor then my fuelling trolley)

This shows the drying drum in action, with the WVO being circulated and sprayed through the hose ring. I am using an aquarium heater and foam insulation to help speed up the drying time. I ran my first batch in it yesterday for 4 hours and it was nearly dry, so I reckon 5-6 hours to pass the HPT in good conditions.

I keep the lid and bucket in place to minimise splattering. The lid is raised slightly to allow the moist air to escape out of the sides. The fan is just temporary as I am getting a smaller one.

The storage drum is filled via the bottom 5μ cartridge filter. The sight tube on the left also has a vent (which can be sealed to keep the moisture out). The top filter has a 1μ element and goes straight into the car via the trigger nozzle. If the storage drum is empty I can fill the car straight from the drying tank. One thing I still need to do is graduate the sight tube on the storage tank
    Last edited by pangit; 15th December 2008 at 03:40 PM.
    Sean

Re: My upflow design - [updated 15 Dec with photos!]

Great Job mate, will work a treat
    TroopyHZJ75

100,000km on WVO and counting
    1991 HZJ75 Landcruiser Troopy
    Two Tank System- 90ltr Dino / 140ltr WVO
    30 plate HE
    CAV filter
    20 plate HE
    2 x 6 way pollack valves (one for delayed purge changeover)

Hi pangit,

looks the goods. Love the spray pattern in the dryer. Good luck,

God bless froggo.
    HJ45 Landcruiser Troopy
    Home made 2 tank system
    Blending in main diesel tank
    SVO/WVO Converted 18/01/08
    http://www.biofuelsforum.com/svo_users/3667-hj45_troopy_conversion.html

The drying works well, although the spray pattern can be a pain - if 2 jets are hitting each other from opposite sides they can create splattering. I keep the lid on and restrict the flow slightly to reduce it.
    Sean

The system looks very practical, thanks for the photos. Is your drying method working as you thought ie.approx 6 hrs?

Peter<><