Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stolen WVO

Re: Stolen WVO

David,
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Jones View Post
    snip

By promoting Veg oil and increasing the demand for such a limited resource it, it's value will rise, as it has with the pressure commercial producers put on the various feedstock commodities. Once the value of WVO goes up, so will its appeal and more people will be looking to get it by whatever means from wherever they can.
    So you honestly believe that if the price of used cooking oil goes up then MORE people will want to use it??
    This does not make sense. Please explain how you come to this conclusion.

I would be happy for the price of used cooking oil to rise to $1.00 per liter or even higher. People would be less likely to squander it by taking unnecessary trips, where walking or using public transport is an option. I doubt that there would be as many people wanting to use Used Cooking Oil then. It would still be a better option for the environment than petroleum diesel.

The blame for a myriad of WVO related supply problems, including theft, can be spin doctored and attempted to be shifted in all sorts of different directions, but the underlying foundation of all problems sourcing purely from demand is undeniable.
    The words look good, but your meaning is lost somewhere.

Exactly what problems have their underlying foundation sourcing purely from demand?
    Perhaps you should list all of these problems.

hdj80,
    You seem to be confused, I was discussing the use of Used Vegetable oil, not plantation of food crop oils. The basis of your post seems to be related to biodiesel and palm oil and the impact of the USA using corn to produce ethanol.

Regards,
    Tony
    Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
    '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel single tank using 95% used cooking oil and 5% to 10% misfuel (where someone had filled diesel vehicle with petrol).
    '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab. Running on used cooking oil with 5% to 10% misfuel.
    Toyota Camry Hybrid - (Wife's Car)

Previous Vehicles:
    '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup. Died when supercharger stuck at max boost for weeks. Stretched head bolts.
    '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
    '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Donor for current Fatmobile coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
    '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
    '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
    Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tony From West Oz View Post
    hdj80,
    You seem to be confused, I was discussing the use of Used Vegetable oil
    Not really but I am happy you bought this up.

wvo collected by industry is dewatered filtered then sold to places to make the likes of "Dog food" when there is a short fall in wvo supply then the Dog Food industry (for example) source new SVO... So basically the only time that wvo is helping the environment is when it is saved from the rubbish...

If you have taken over collecting wvo from a waste oil collector then you are contributing to the problem... The more people collecting is just making the the Supply Demand problem worse. If you are promoting wvo collection then you are promoting the problem..

If you still think that you are environmentally friendly you maybe putting less polutants in the air but there are a lot of flow on effects that are increasing with every new bio fuel user coming on line? It maybe time to do some rethinking???
    HDJ80 (aka Kiwipete)
    Canberra

Quote Originally Posted by hdj80 View Post
    Not really but I am happy you bought this up.

wvo collected by industry is dewatered filtered then sold to places to make the likes of "Dog food" when there is a short fall in wvo supply then the Dog Food industry (for example) source new SVO... So basically the only time that wvo is helping the environment is when it is saved from the rubbish...

If you have taken over collecting wvo from a waste oil collector then you are contributing to the problem... The more people collecting is just making the the Supply Demand problem worse. If you are promoting wvo collection then you are promoting the problem..
    Some fat burners in France promote localy and non dewatered, non coloured, non flavoured ... produced oil so they manage the whole life of the oil.

0. they choose a local environment frendly oil producer
    1. they bring straight oil from producer to the restaurant.
    2. they pick up the waste oil
    3. they filter and use it as fuel in a 2 tank car
    4. the filter waste is used to heat a house

unfortunately there are not producer all over the country so it cannot be done

Paying $1 a litre would not help me a lot, but I can see Tonys point (after thinking about it all afternoon)

Taking Mount Gambier as an example, here most (guestimate 80-95%)waste oil goes to stock feed the rest to biofuel.

If there was such demand for biofuel that the price hit $1 I would probably drop off a supplier, and cut some trips (and probably use the bike some more) Of course someone else would pick up the supply, and stop using as much diesel. Of course all veggie oil would be ofseting diesel use, not just a small percent as is the case currently. Of course not great for my pockets, but environmentally a much better proposition than stock feed.

I dont think dog food makers would switch to new veggie oil, I think perhaps less fat would go into dog food.

Another thing that I have been pondering is, this
    If there were less comercial collectors, there would be more oil for biofuelers.
    One thing affecting the profitability of comercial collectors is individual biofuel users.
    So to a point, isnt more biofuelers a positive thing?
    cheers<BR>Chris.<BR>1990 landcruiser 80, 1HD-T two tank, copper pipe HE+ 20 plate FPHE, toyota solenoids and filters. 1978 300D, elsbett one tank system.<BR>

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Echidna View Post
    One thing affecting the profitability of comercial collectors is individual biofuel users.
    So to a point, isnt more biofuelers a positive thing?
    The short answer here is no. A lot of other commercial organisations, you mentioned dog food producers, but farmers and many others also have a heavy reliance on WVO for their profitability.

Although WVO collectors are the bain of every SVO/Bio user they are essential for many other industries. If all WVO went to bio then who knows what other industries would suffer a significant down turn. It would be short sighted of us to assume SVO and Bio is more important to the environment or the economy then these other users of WVO.

I support Davids argument, everything is good in moderation, and I'd also hate to see the WVO landscape of Europe, the UK and USA be repeated here.
    Maverick
    Canberra

Quote Originally Posted by maverick_sr71 View Post
    The short answer here is no. A lot of other commercial organisations, you mentioned dog food producers, but farmers and many others also have a heavy reliance on WVO for their profitability.
    Biofuels is a term not restricted to WVO.
    Please click below for info on how you can help the victims of spinal injury, or just spread the word.

Thank god these " Tell everyone in the entire world" people don't manage our national parks! They would have a million people tramping through them every day so they could see the beauty of the natural enviroment and have them paying money so they didn't forget what they saw as they destroyed it for everyone else!
    Everyone should know simply because they think there are no alternative, everyone should know about WVG as they should know about wind, solar etc . power.
    And whenever too many people recycle wvo, what's the problem ?? you'd rather it to be in the sea, or in your tap water ???

I wanted to do the craddle montain 5 days track but the number of people was limited to avoid what you said upper ...

The problems, as very well documented is that people whom were using veg go back to using dino which defeats the whole purpose of those that want to get as many people involved as possible!!
    hopeless

I am not aware of that happening anywhere and believe that to be a pointless analagy.
    When the owner of the WVO doesn't know what to do with it or if he doesn't want to make any effort to dipose it correctly, he simply poors it in the toilets or in the nature.

So you have first hand experience of the point I am trying to make!
    Too much pressure or demand on a limited resource kills it for everyone!
    Try to apply it to veg oil and you may understand what I am saying a bit better.
    Exactly, that's why I said to myself, i'll try again later because too many walkers in the NP will damage it, this makes sense of course.

The NP manager wants to limit the use of the NP.

The use of WVO is limited by the amount of cooking oil, so the use of WVO is limited too, why would it be reserved to you ? and not to another ?
    The most important thing is to use it instead dino, whoever is using it !
    That can be you or your neighbour, I don't care as long as it is wisely used and makes less burnt dino.
    I still use wvo in France because where i live, there is less wvo users than wvo available. One day I hope all the wvo will be given and used wisely, and maybe that day i will have to quit wvo because of too many people using it, but there will be less pollution, the most important thing to me.

Your problem is that someone has stolen your wvo and should have asked before.
    I had the same problem once, the owner of the restaurant kept the wvo inside and i had to come into the restaurant to get it. Easy. And if someone wants some wvo of this restaurant, he may ask and we'll share or I'll show him another restaurant right next door, until all of them give their wvo.

I was just over Adelaide and thought I'd look to see where I might be able to buy Bio, to say I was shocked would be a gross understatement.

SAFF Retail Network - SA Metro

It was on average 5-7 cents/ltr cheaper then dino and it looked just like the stuff I make.

If the South Australian Farmers Fuel (used to be a subsidiary of the Farmers Federation) can do it why can't the other states Farmers Federation?
    Last edited by maverick_sr71; 16th October 2008 at 10:14 PM.
    Maverick
    Canberra