Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is the best car to get for someone who knows nothing about cars?

What is the best car to get for someone who knows nothing about cars?

I'm looking to spend about 10 grand on a diesel car so that I can get on the Biodiesel train. So far I have only found 4 wheel drives which are a little intimidating as I know nothing about cars and how to tinker with them. Does anyone have any recommendations for us auto-challenged eco-warriors?

Re: What is the best car to get for someone who knows nothing about cars?

I've just been in the same position as you, and I ended up getting a 4WD for around that price, but I wanted one anyway. Trying to get a cheap diesel sedan/wagon in Australia is very difficult, as it's only in the last couple of years manufacturers have started offering diesel variants of smaller cars in any quantity (such as the new Astra).

You could get an old Merc in good condition for around that price, such as an early 80s 300D, which are supposed to be one of the most bomb proof cars around. Although at that age you couldn't expect even a Merc to run perfectly without some TLC being spent on it. There are a few WVO users here have them, so they may be able to help.

Also there are some older diesel Peugots, but again I wouldn't want to buy a cheaper one without knowing it's been well looked after, and being able to do some maintenance myself.

you could go an get just about any older toyota dual cab ute, or nissan for that money second hand.

Nice agricultural engines in em no fancy dancy eletronic crud to have havoc played with it and if you can find a friendly mechanic to do the work on it he might even show you how to go through the routine works of it.

As a bonus parts are relatively cheap.

Dave

"In a Landrover the other car is your crumple zone."

A Malvern Star with a Shimamo internal hub transmition. ??
    (only joking) Just because its a Diesel doesn't mean it has to be a big chunky 4WD. Even GMH is bringling out their Holden Astra in a Diesel these days. I have a 1980 Mercedes Benz 300TD which i am very happy with, and have not had any drama with the fuel change , considering its 20 years old and been running on fossil all that time.
    I paid $9000.00 for it , but its in really good nick. I sometimes feel i may have been ripped off, when i see online in the trading post the same car (no photo) for $4000.00
    If you've got ten grand to spend, why not get finance for the other $13,000 and get a brand new Holden astra or any of the European HDI cars.
    If your worried about getting good Biodiesel up to spec. Then Just get any old donk. The classic five cylinder series of diesels in Merc.s and Toyota 's and Landrovers is a reliable donk.
    Good luck.
    Last edited by darren leonadas; 13th August 2006 at 04:03 PM.

Tata Motors has a model called Indica.It's doing very well in India.The car was designed for Indian Roads.A lot of people are swearing by it.Yes it runs on BD ...no worries.
    It is priced very well to.They have a office in Brisbane.Worth investigating.As you could get a new car.Spare parts are cheap to.
    Give them a go.

Cheers
    Sauman

SCOTT,, If i had my ten grand over again, (thats what my budget was too) I wouldn't bork at this one, Merc. benz for $10,000.!
    Its in Victoria, but i'm sure you could find something similar in Sydney,
    Cheers Darren.

Marc1 Guest

That is an interesting question but so hard to answer.

First thing that comes to mind is that if you know nothing about cars before you buy one, you will still know nothing after you buy, so whatever you buy will make no difference .

Ok ok, the second thing that comes to mind is:
    If you know nothing about cars, why would you buy one in the first place ... (?) no sorry forget it.
    If you know nothing about cars, buy a new one, for the next two years the dealer will make you feel right at home (meaning he will make sure you feel like you know nothing at all) and charge you accordingly until the warranty runs out and you run out of the dealership wondering where did those $2000 for the last service go.

Third...If you know nothing about cars, why buy diesel? Diesel engines are notoriously specialized and require special knowledge, special tools, fastidious cleanliness, and other attributes usually not found among professional mechanics particularly between the ears.

Forth....I know I know you want a diesel engine to play with Biodiesel. Uff oooright ...so here we go:
    Buy a naturally aspirated engine not a turbo. Buy a run of the mill brand like Toyota or Nissan not some fancy new European car who's instruction manual includes 5 classes of yoga to change the glowplugs.
    Buy an older model without electronics, you will be able to do something like changing the air filter and if you are adventurous, prime the pump when you run out of Biodiesel.
    An older 4 cylinder Toyota Hilux or a Nissan King cab or even a Patrol with some room to stick your head in and look around may be just the ticket. Of course I would prefer a Mercedes 170D to tinker with but that is just me http://www.practicalclassics.co.uk/p...;p=-1630656632
    4WD are good cars, I own one, they do cost more to keep on the road but they are also more fun.

</IMG></IMG></IMG></IMG></IMG>

After reading the posts, I think this perhaps is not a possible question to answer, as we all have different oppinions as what is "not knowing much about cars" and what we need a car for, as we are all different.

By some definitions, there is talk of rebuilding engines, and I consider myself knowledgeable, but would not consider doing a rebuild. (perhaps I am getting old, or the more I learn the more I realise I dont know)

My thoughts on the merc in the trading post (a w124 model, 5 cylinder diesel, 420,000K's) is it has too many miles, but my use is often "critical" (no phone service, often on a 400k trip, school the next morning as a teacher, which means you cant call in sick without preparing for the relief techer)

Someone says 4wd are fun. I am sure they are, (I they allow people to get stuck in more remote areas) But apart from getting a boat stuck on a ramp, I have never needed one.

What I consider to be the best diesel I dont own, and actually sold one knowing it, because it did not suit my needs. I guess it is what are your needs? Do you have a family? Will things falling off it annoy you? What are your mechanical abilities?

Here are some diesel picks, in non 4wd. The only two I have owned, so will not comment on others.

The merc (own a 5 cylinder one, drove a 6, not much different)- Dont plan on good pickup. OK for room, and travels at speed limit well after a delay. Robust engine.

Gemini- getting old, but great cars. Ok in traffic, can swap drivetrain into a petrol body, fast. (I did get booked for 117!) Not much room though.
    cheers<BR>Chris.<BR>1990 landcruiser 80, 1HD-T two tank, copper pipe HE+ 20 plate FPHE, toyota solenoids and filters. 1978 300D, elsbett one tank system.<BR>

I have a 2 wheel drive twin cab 1994 hilux diesel. It is simple, very reliable, cheap for spares, plenty of go once its wound up (will go 130), and economical (8L/100km). Will run well on bio. I would go a toyota much more than a nissan. 3 weaknesses, rubber timing belt, aircleaners, and need to change oil at 5000km (they go bang around 8-9000km)

Marc1 Guest

Yes go the Toyo... I agree.
    What is that going "bang" at 9000km?
    As for changing oil, any diesel of any make should change oil at 5000K as clockwork if you want your engine and turbo to last.