Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Landcruiser 100 Series

Landcruiser 100 Series

I'm thinking about buying a Toyota Landcruiser 100 Series 4.2TD and was wondering if anyone has had any experience with is motor running on biodiesel? I had 2 of these in a business I had a few years ago and they are superb motors but have never run BD in one. I've been running BD in my Bravo now for over 2 years and I am confident about making the fuel but have been told that this motor may give problems with BD.
    Thanks
    Peter

Re: Landcruiser 100 Series

Peter
    I haven't heard of anyone running bio in a 1HD-FTE but I cannot see any problems they are pretty robust as you have already stated...

I have been running B100 in my 1HD-T for the past 3 years with no issues.... It would be interesting to know what problems you were told you could have? The only possible place for a issue would be at the electronic fuel pump...
    Also Peter
    HDJ80 (aka Kiwipete)
    Canberra

Hdj80, the observation came from a mechanic friend of mine who has been following my adventures with BD and it was about the landcruiser injector pump (I think). He is still away oh hols but I will follow up when he gets back.
    I am surprised that someone dosen't have one running on BD given the number of these vehicles that are around. Also, given the places around the world that landcruisers are used they would have to be suited to a wide range of fuel types. What is it about the fuel pump that may be a problem in your opinion?
    Thanks
    Peter

The seal's would be the only issue IMO. Although, the 1HZ and 1HD-T pumps that have been overhauled to cope with LSD all run well on bio. Still, there may be a few rubber components in the fuel pump.

The only other issue may be the computer, but after a few tanks it should "learn" to use bio and make the required adjustments to it's operation as it does with dino.
    Maverick
    Canberra

There was a Japanese racing driver who posted on here about 12 months ago re doing world trip in his 4.2TD Cruiser on bio to promote bio fuels. There is also another member of the forum but can't remember his name who runs his on bio. As far as I know he has said it runs fine on bio.

Peter<><

Google "Biodiesel Adventure"

Peter<><

Quote Originally Posted by maverick_sr71 View Post
    The seal's would be the only issue IMO. Although, the 1HZ and 1HD-T pumps that have been overhauled to cope with LSD all run well on bio. Still, there may be a few rubber components in the fuel pump.

The only other issue may be the computer, but after a few tanks it should "learn" to use bio and make the required adjustments to it's operation as it does with dino.
    The seals should not be a problem as after 94/96 they were bio compatable, but yes the electronics may have something to do with it ,,, but even so mechanically all should be ok and as Mav said it should learn to cope.... I have posted this question to a landcruiser 100 series list so hopefully you will have some answers/experiences soon.... LCOOL 100
    HDJ80 (aka Kiwipete)
    Canberra

"Google Biodiesel Adventure"
    Have included link for anyone interested:
    www.biodieseladventure.com

That's amazing! Just had a quik look at the site but will study further. Thanks for that PeterAC. Would like to have a look at the processor that went around the world with them and may have a lot of info about their set up etc.
    Chris (the mechanic) says that he would be more worried about the computer systems with L100 as seals can be replaced or carry spares. Also using dino bd blends of varying mixes. I appreciate everyones input on this. Don't think we'll go as far as those guys but a trip to King Ash Bay on the Gulf is on the cards this winter.

Peter
    Last edited by Sunshine Fuels; 8th January 2009 at 06:31 PM.

Hello Sunshine, the person I was thinking of was Matt, a senior member of this forum. I still don't know how to put links on this damn thing. Just do a search for '2001' and go down the list for 2008. He had/has a 2001 TD cruiser running on B100.

Cheers

Peter<><

Yes indeed, I would think that any Toyota after about 1996 will run fine. Been on a break for a week hence the late reply.

I was warned about the IP in these vehicles as they are a hydrid mechanical / electronic pump. My old mans car has had no issues at all running on my unfiltered bio, apart from cleaning the rubbish out.

I would not hesitate to get one and rub bio in it, cleaning out the tank would be the biggest issue, and as I have learnt the varnish they coat the fuel pickup pipe in the tank dissolves (after 5 yrs in my 80 series) on B100 and it bocks filters even better.

So use it and replace the pickup after a few years from a wreck and be happy.
    Matt
    Last edited by Matt; 10th January 2009 at 10:56 PM.
    Biodiesel Bandit

Landcruiser '98 80 series B100.