Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: How many biodiesel users are there in Tas.

Re: How many biodiesel users are there in Tas.

Hi all,
    I hail from Hobart and after a couple of years thinking about it, have finally decided to get a diesel car (Merc 300D) and DO something about it. At this stage I'm unsure of going biodiesel or blended/straight SVO, and would love to talk to anyone in the area willing to share their knowledge and experiences with a noob.

Cheers, Ben.

Post Re: How many biodiesel users are there in Tas.

Hi Ben,
    Your big problem will probably be "can you get any used Veggie oil"?
    It is starting to be a problem especially as fuel prices rise and more people are trying to find ways to cut costs.
    If you have a supply then it will really come down to "how mechanical are you?"
    To go SVO, you will need to modify the car quite a bit. To go for Bio, you can just about mix it up in a bucket ( not recommended) .
    I only know of one guy that is running SVO but about 6 that are into making Bio, as I do myself.
    Does that help?
    CU Bob

Hi Bob,

Thanks for your reply.

Currently I am the 'securing waste oil supply' stage. I approached my local takeaway; as I suspected he already has a company paying him to pick up the waste, but was quite interested in my plans and being a nice chap said I could pick up a container when I'm ready to start experimenting. I know he doesn't go through a great deal of oil though (it's a corner store with a small takeaway section) so he was never going to be a big supplier anyway. This week I'm going to try a few other takeaways and restaurants around town, though I'm keeping my expectations low. If that fails I know a few operators well out of Hobart who mightn't be doing anything in particular with their oil.

As for your second question, I'm reasonably mechanical, but my main issue is that we've just moved house and the new house doesn't (and won't ever) have a garage. Now that you mention it, the idea of weekly mechanical meddling on an open sloping driveway sounds like a real PITA! I think you may have just answered my biodiesel-or-SVO question.

Good to hear that there are a few people doing the biodiesel thing around Hobart (competition for waste oil notwithstanding). Is there any kind of club or regular gathering of likeminded individuals occurring. I'd especially like to talk to someone about how best to set up a processor - for producing say 60-100L per month, no more - as there are so many different setups shown online, it's hard to know which way to go.

Thanks again.

Cheers, Ben.

Heck, for small amounts you could use an old urn and a couple of decent 20L drums...

Bad time of year for starting out unfortunately. The cold weather complicates things. Some of my mixes I go outside and poke it with a stick to see if it's still solid... Might have to park some of them till summer.

Hi Ben,
    Don't think there any clubs ETC but if you have any queries phone on 62950881.
    Have you been to http://www.biodieselcommunity.org/gettingstarted/
    they have a great tute on bio and of course the http://biodiesel.infopop.cc/eve/foru...rm/f/719605551
    info pop forum is the greatest.
    The latest thing is a process or that does not need water washing after.
    Look for http://www.graham-laming.com/bd/main.htm

and alsohttp://www.graham-laming.com/bd/ecosystem/state_diagram_new.htm
    for GLs one day process.
    CU bob

Hi, I am from Launceston and just looking at setting up, My brother runs farm machinery and I run 4x4 so we are looking into making enough for all vehicles used, just doing some research at the moment and looking for an existing kit or easy set up kit to build.
    Would also like to experiment on a fuel for our delivery scooter as well down the track, not that it's not cheap to run now but just interested in making my own instead of paying the oli companies.
    thanks and hope to chat to more soon.