Thread: what are the licences needed to make your own ethanol for your car in WA?

what are the licences needed to make your own ethanol for your car in WA?

I am interested in making some ethanol legaly for use on the Farm.
    What are the "hoops" that I must jump through before I even start building a still?
    Can anyone advise me how hard it is to actually get the appropiate permits/licences and keep them?

Cheers
    Sandman.

Re: what are the licences needed to make your own ethanol for your car in WA?

You would need to contact the Excise people at ATO and discuss with them what you would like to do.

I am not aware of any individual in WA who has successfully been licensed to make reasonable volumes of ethanol for any purpose, let alone specifically for fuel, although it may be easier to get a licence for fuel ethanol as it can be denatured relatively easily by the addition of petrol, as it comes from the still. There may be some corporations which have licenses.
    There would be significant record keeping requirements if you were to be granted a licence, and excise on the fuel may be payable.

Good luck.

Tony
    Last edited by Tony From West Oz; 12th July 2009 at 12:59 AM.
    Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles on oil based fuels:
    '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
    '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)
    '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car) [sold]

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google

Adding images and/or documents to your posts

It is basically the same process as is involved in registering as a biodiesel manufacturer.

Not surprisingly, the ATO wants its cut, and it wants decent book keeping to make sure you're not slipping some out the back door. There is also a requirement that you allow for any on site inspections that they see fit (but I haven't seen anybody yet!)

I'm thinking of setting up a consultancy to get people past this hurdle, so drop me a line if you're interested.

Quote Originally Posted by Nuciferos View Post
    It is basically the same process as is involved in registering as a biodiesel manufacturer.

Not surprisingly, the ATO wants its cut, and it wants decent book keeping to make sure you're not slipping some out the back door. There is also a requirement that you allow for any on site inspections that they see fit (but I haven't seen anybody yet!)

I'm thinking of setting up a consultancy to get people past this hurdle, so drop me a line if you're interested.
    AND they would require you to have a secure storage location for both the production facility and the bond store for the product.

Regards,
    Tony
    Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles on oil based fuels:
    '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
    '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)
    '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car) [sold]

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google

Adding images and/or documents to your posts

The process is more tedious than difficult. Start by having a look at the ATO web site, they have all of the info and forms to do it.

You will also need to form your own company, not difficult or expensive either.

Alternately, I can do it all for you for a reasonable price.