Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: the new oil police?

Re: the new oil police?

ok so here we go, this is the reply.

Hi -----
    For licensing requirements and thresholds for the transport of waste, I refer you to clause 48 of Schedule 1 of the Protection of the Environment Operations Act 1997 (POEO Act) and clause 49 of the POEO Waste Regulation (pertaining to general requirements for the transportation of waste). Note that waste oil collected for recovery is excluded from the requirement to hold a waste transporters licence.

NSW Legislation
    DECC | Waste legislation

Regards
    --------
    DECC Information Centre

i will definitely take this to my oil guy. he wasnt too happy they threatened him with a fine as it was, i will see what he wants to do with his oil from now on. i take it this means that there is no fine for me and so there would be no fine for him too. meaning they threatened that he might face a fine and there is no such fine. it seemed strange because i had never heard of a shop being fined for giving oil to personal use people.

thanks for all the help and support on this. cheers.

I think we need this info in a sticky.

Thread Stickied.

Perhaps members from other states can make similar enquiries and post the replies here also.

Regards,
    Tony
    Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
    '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab. Running on used cooking oil with 5% to 10% misfuel.
    '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP)

Previous Vehicles:
    '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup. Died when supercharger stuck at max boost for weeks. Stretched head bolts.
    '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
    '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Donor for current Fatmobile coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
    '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
    '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
    Parts Car C220 1993 SOLD.
    '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel single tank using 95% used cooking oil and 5% to 10% misfuel (where someone had filled diesel vehicle with petrol).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
    Adding images and/or documents to your posts

I tried trawling through the legislation to extract the relevant clauses into a single document, but it's proving to be a nightmare. There are so many cross references to other regulations it's impossible to distil it into something comprehensible that we can show to restaurant owners.

I think the best document to use would be algaeoil's letter from the DECC, which states the law pretty clearly.

Would you be prepared to scan the letter in as an image (with DECC letterhead etc) and post it up here so we can all print it out algaeoil? I would suggest you delete or smudge out any personal details. It might also be a good idea to ask permission from DECC too.

PM me if you need any help getting the document scanned/posted.
    Sean

Having a trawl through google, trying a few words without much luck, I did find this, which sort of proves I didnt have much luck. http://www.edo.org.au/edovic/publica...galthreats.pdf

From reading it, (which doesnt include a section on used cooking oil), one tactic it suggests is going public, asking the company to explain its position, in front of an audience
    Perhaps a call to a TV station is in order?
    (or a call to the company asking if it would like to explain its position on TV?)
    cheers<BR>Chris.<BR>1990 landcruiser 80, 1HD-T two tank, copper pipe HE+ 20 plate FPHE, toyota solenoids and filters. 1978 300D, elsbett one tank system.<BR>

i also looked over the waste schedules prior to sending my letter off to the DECC and i couldnt find anything about waste cooking oil and small volumes. i figured it came under liquid waste an so possibly came under the <5000 tonne rule. this is why the reply from the DECC was so good in that it it explained where to look and gave reference to a fact that used oil doesent require a transport license. ussually you might get a letter back giving the link and telling you to look and decide for yourself. so i will thank the lady for that.
    there are indeed two separate schedules to reference to and it does make it a bit harder to get a grasp. as well as that there is so much different materials in the subjects that i spent a long time and still could not find what i was searching for specifically.

ill PM you and send you a copy pangit. this is as far as i know what to do with it.

FW: ‏
    Sent: Wednesday, 12 August 2009 6:36:52 PM
    To: --------

For licensing requirements and thresholds for the transport of waste, I refer you to clause 48 of Schedule 1 of the Protection of the Environment Operations Act 1997 (POEO Act) and clause 49 of the POEO Waste Regulation (pertaining to general requirements for the transportation of waste). Note that waste oil collected for recovery is excluded from the requirement to hold a waste transporters licence.

NSW Legislation
    DECC | Waste legislation

Regards
    ---------
    DECC Information Centre
    Dept of Environment , Climate Change and Water
    T: 131 555 F: 9995 5911
    info@environment.nsw.gov.au

i will take this mail to my oil guy this weekend and see if he feels he has been coerced into them putting a tank there and will go from there.
    i hope to get back my supply and also that all you will know where you stand too. a sticky is a great idea and even better if it can include state stances on this.

thanks again for all the help with this. ill be back to let yous know what happened and what the shop guy says about it.
    Last edited by algaeoil; 14th August 2009 at 10:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by algaeoil View Post
    i also looked over the waste schedules prior to sending my letter off to the DECC and i couldnt find anything about waste cooking oil and small volumes. i figured it came under liquid waste an so possibly came under the <5000 tonne rule. this is why the reply from the DECC was so good in that it it explained where to look and gave reference to a fact that used oil doesent require a transport license. ussually you might get a letter back giving the link and telling you to look and decide for yourself. so i will thank the lady for that.
    there are indeed two separate schedules to reference to and it does make it a bit harder to get a grasp. as well as that there is so much different materials in the subjects that i spent a long time and still could not find what i was searching for specifically.

ill PM you and send you a copy pangit. this is as far as i know what to do with it.

FW: ‏
    Sent: Wednesday, 12 August 2009 6:36:52 PM
    To: --------

NSW Legislation
    DECC | Waste legislation

Regards
    ---------
    DECC Information Centre
    Dept of Environment , Climate Change and Water
    T: 131 555 F: 9995 5911
    info@environment.nsw.gov.au

i will take this mail to my oil guy this weekend and see if he feels he has been coerced into them putting a tank there and will go from there.
    i hope to get back my supply and also that all you will know where you stand too. a sticky is a great idea and even better if it can include state stances on this.

thanks again for all the help with this. ill be back to let yous know what happened and what the shop guy says about it.
    Look forward to "your guy's" response.

Just one thing, Having a big guy's commercial drum onsite can be a good thing.
    My chippy goes through 60 litres every 3 days and way to much for me.
    I also tip the filtered fats and crud back into their drum.

Your chippy will be much happier however not having to tip hot waste oil
    into their drum but to just leave it the way you had been collecting previously.

Algeoil -----Nice to see this problem turned out right in the end it seems. I still think it's a good idea to leave 'them' the dregs & crap though. I've had a lot of oil; nicked by someone who I think is a prof collector so I'm going to leave a couple of barrells of crap for him & see what happens. My prob is finding out what day he collects but I know he's pretty regular..

Quite a while back I went through a lot of this as well (in NSW) with both the EPA and local council.

The general gist was that any producer of waste (as defined) was required to use a licenced waste pransporter unless the amount of waste they produced was less then 10 tonnes per annum, if they prduce less than 10 tonnes they can dispose of the waste in an approved or responsible way.

The local input relates to the management of food premises and so they can stipulate certain things such as amounts that can be stored before removal and so on. I found here that they just told all waste producers that they had to use a licensed collector - and basically referred to a local collector.

The definition of waste was a bit vague but in reference to veg oil the EPA defined it as waste as soon as the purpose for which it was purchased had been done ie as soon as it was used for cooking it was waste.

I was also advised that collecting the oil for additional use was not necessarily an approved disposal method. I mention this because collecting oil for recovery as mentioned in the quote may not be relevant in the case of using it for fuel (another grey area) as straight oil or biodiesel.

Generally I came to the conclusion that there was no legal risk to a shop owner to give or for you to receive waste cooking oil as long as it was under the 10 tonne pa limit.

I also concluded that there was quite a bit of legal word use bullying going on from perhaps both the local council as well as the licenced collectors.

Most shop owners just wanted to run their business and had enough to do without being threatened by some waste collector or fielding complaints made by collectors to the council.

The end point - it is still a bit grey but so long as the shop owner is happy for you to collect it and knows that you dispose of it responsibility neither of you have any legal problem.

The 10 tonne limit is where the paperwork starts to hit with a vengance with just about everything having to be tracked and accounted for and you start getting into the area of licenced waste producers and licenced waste collectors and books and forms in triplicate.

Geoff
    Telegraph Point NSW
    Landcruiser GXL '96 - 80:20 blends
    Pug 1.6 HDi - 308 Touring Wagon - definitely not game :-)

hey geoff, excellent post. thats heaps good info there. the ten tonne limit is good news because i get about 2 tonne a year only. that should be all ok now.
    atleast there is no fine faced ny the owner for supplying oil to me for recovery. he will be in the clear. if only i knew that on the day he was told he faces fines.

it might be a good thing to have a tank out back for anytimes they want to do a drop in a hurry or when im not on standbye.

i think we need to cover whats in this "grey" area, so that we have the relevent scenarios sussed out for what happens to the recovered oil. it would be good if anyone has any relevent info regarding this kind of thing so we can have it kept along in this sticky thread.
    thanks for the heat exchanger too! its at the post office i just havent had time to get there yet.. cheers mate.