Thread: Methanol supplies

Methanol supplies

Hi
    I'm an absolute beginner and keen to have a go at a trial batch of BD. I'm stuck on trying to find a small quantity of methanol. Coogee Chemicals Kwinana will happily sell me 800 litres for $640, which is a great price but rather a lot for starters. Any tips anyone?
    Eric

Re: Methanol supplies

Hi Eric, methanol is used by the model aeroplane hobby and is mixed with oil and sometimes nitromethane to make a two stroke fuel for the model engines. If you ask at some of the hobby shops you might find one who will supply a quantity of methanol but make sure it is not mixed with any oil, you just want neat methanol. Most of them will have the fuel premixed and buy it in like that, but some carry bulk methanol for those that like to mix their own fuel.
    Another source could be people involved in racing cars, dragsters and the like. Some service stations here (QLD) sell 20ltrs for about $40.
    Regards
    Peter

Eric,
    The prices are a bit old, but try these companies:

Great Western Petroleum (Shell)
    22 Bracks St, Fremantle WA 6
    ph: (08) 9430 7888
    Methanol
    20L $43.00 ($2.15 @ litre)
    200L$214.50 ($1.07 @ litre)

Cooper & Dysart
    119 Kurnall Rd, Welshppol WA 6106
    ph: (08) 9351 8881
    Methanol
    20L $39.38 ($1.97 @ litre)
    200L$217.80 ($1.08 @ litre)

Recochem
    Bracks St, Fremantle WA
    ph: (08) 9433 4111
    DAA Ethanol (100% - no water)
    20L $93.50 ($4.68 @ litre)
    200L$327.80 ($1.64 @ litre)

Westfuel
    Ph: 08 9353 2566
    Methanol$183.50 per 200 L drum, delivered

BM Racing
    ph: 0419919343
    27 McIntyre Way, Kenwick
    200 ltr. Drum of methanol for $210.00

Please let us know how you get on.
    Tony

Excellent!
    Thanks very much. I will get back as soon as I get a chance.
    Eric

There is also the 2nd Coogee Methanol Agent in Osborne Park / Northern Suburbs to consider as well. RPW service Centre.

One thing to also consider with methanol supplies. is that many of the methanol suppliers are not supplying pure methanol. Many of them have caster oil and other additivies in them.

Coogee methanol is the only Pure Methanol in Australia that is refined and disributed from Australia. Drumed and sold direct to the user, there is no additives etc added to it at all.

One of our customers, who is making Bio Diesel locally asked me to hop onto these forums and let people know about us who were looking for not just methanol, but a quality methanol.

The Coogee Methanol is the one that the majority of racers use due to its high consistancy and purity.

Feel free to ask any questions on this if you wish and I will try to answer them.
    Want Methanol in Perth? Contact us at RPW - Largest Coogee Methanol distributor with stocks on hand at all times, with a delivery service.

How important is it to get quality menthanol? wouldn't the impurities just blend out during the methoxide mix and wash stage? I thought water % was more of a concern? I bought some methanol from a hobby shop with 1% water content but it cost me $25 for 5 liters. very expensive(this will be for some test batches before I get into the larger quantities).
    Last edited by biomyown; 20th December 2007 at 04:11 AM.

Hey guys, sorry to bump this old post, but I figure its so high on google search results its still got its use >.<

Just found

Watsons Express Transport = (08) 9258 4855
    (Welshpool)

is happy to sell racing methanol (no additives) $50 for 20L, you have to supply your own fuel safe container though

Sigma Chemicals, Balcatta also sell methanol $162 for 20L ....lol i reckon it'd b one hell of a pure methanol for that price though

That's horrily expensive, its usually $250 for 200 litres. Share it between mates or decant to 20 litre containers. Much better bottom line costs.
    Biodiesel Bandit

Landcruiser '98 80 series B100.

Your telling me, but to be fair they'd only charge $250 for 200L, but since i only want 20L, (am trying to convince the missus that i definitely do need 200L of flammable fuel in my shed >.<) there bumping up the price... i reckon if i pull of my 1st batch successfully I'll go ahead and shell out the money for a big barrel

I was wondering if anyone out there in WA would be able to let me buy 20L from there personal barrel??

Cheers

CCD,
    Did you check out the suppliers in my earlier (2005) post and the subsequent posts by others?
    I am sure that the prices they charge would be significantly better than what you were quoted.

It id normal practice to charge the customer, any costs associated with selling small volumes of a product normally sold in larger volumes. There would also be a cost incurred in holding the remaining 175 litres until someone else wants to buy a 25L container full.

Regards,
    Tony
    Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
    '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab. Running on used cooking oil with 5% to 10% misfuel.
    '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP)

Previous Vehicles:
    '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup. Died when supercharger stuck at max boost for weeks. Stretched head bolts.
    '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
    '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Donor for current Fatmobile coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
    '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
    '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
    Parts Car C220 1993 SOLD.
    '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel single tank using 95% used cooking oil and 5% to 10% misfuel (where someone had filled diesel vehicle with petrol).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
    Adding images and/or documents to your posts