Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dark red fluid

Dark red fluid

Hi all, I made a hurried batch a couple of months ago and it turned to glug. I then put the 100L into 2-3 litre plastic containers, intending to dump the lot over time. I had to go elswhere for a couple of months and when I got back the plastic containers had settled the goop and I seem to have a very clear liquid that is a dark red/brown color with semi solid goop at the bottom. Now I am wondering what this is? Is it meth coming out or bio? It runs like a clear liquid.
    Cheers
    Steven

Re: Dark red fluid

Take a sample,
    Put some on a dish and leave open to the air - does it evaporate? If not, it is not methanol, if some does, that was probably methanol. How much evaporated off? 50%, then that was likely the proportion of methanol in the liquid. Is the remaining liquid as viscous as oil? If so, that is what you have left - oil.
    Take 3mL and 27mL of methanol and shake it up. Allow to stand. Do you get some drops of the liquid at the bottom? How much? If you get 3mL, the liquid is unreacted oil, less dropping out indicates a proportion of biodiesel. If you get no drops falling out then it is likely to be well converted biodiesel.

You should be able to get an idea what your liquid is from these tests.

While it is not a qualitative test, it shouldbe a reasonable indication of its composition.

I hope this helps,

Tony
    Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
    '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel single tank using 95% used cooking oil and 5% to 10% misfuel (where someone had filled diesel vehicle with petrol).
    '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab. Running on used cooking oil with 5% to 10% misfuel.
    Toyota Camry Hybrid - (Wife's Car)

Previous Vehicles:
    '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup. Died when supercharger stuck at max boost for weeks. Stretched head bolts.
    '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
    '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Donor for current Fatmobile coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
    '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
    '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
    Parts Car C220 1993 All body panels, headlights, interior engine and ECU available.

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
    Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Thanks Tony,
    It turns out that I had very good diesel in the containers, pitty I threw about 6 of them out. I have now filtered them back into my large storage container and will now not assume a soupy goop will not yield good bio after settling.
    Cheers
    Steven

What proportion of each container did you recover as fuel?
    Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
    '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel single tank using 95% used cooking oil and 5% to 10% misfuel (where someone had filled diesel vehicle with petrol).
    '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab. Running on used cooking oil with 5% to 10% misfuel.
    Toyota Camry Hybrid - (Wife's Car)

Previous Vehicles:
    '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup. Died when supercharger stuck at max boost for weeks. Stretched head bolts.
    '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
    '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Donor for current Fatmobile coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
    '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
    '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
    Parts Car C220 1993 All body panels, headlights, interior engine and ECU available.

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
    Adding images and/or documents to your posts

if you make a goop agin throw a little bit of acid at it as this ussually fixes that crap quickly you can even use vinigar
    hope this helps
    Cheers
    Nick.
    Harold 2002 Toyota Landcruiser 105 series. 4.2lt turbo glide turbo, Too lazy to make bio nowdays times money. 3'' lift.

Roidio 2001 Holden Rodeo 4x4 2.8L TD. 2.5" exhaust sytem, H/E shower system. 4" Lift, Airbags, And lots of fruit, B100 for 55,000 . SOLD

Elsa 1983 Mercedes-Benz W123 300D. Still The Fastest Merc in Oz, Self built and Female proofed. COUSINS NOW

It was surprising, almost all of the containers were 90/99% bio. It must have been the earlier ones that had the residue and were thrown out. The stuff was sitting for about 9-10 weeks
    Steven

A similar problem:
    We made a 160 litre batch of bio using exactly the same method as for the last three years. It converted well. We settled it, then pumped it into the wash tank.
    After one 1-hour wash, we started to bubble air through the mixture. We returned some days later to a tank-full of thick goop (emulsion), like creamy yellow-pea/chicken soup. We transferred this to another 200 litre container which has failed to precipitate out even to small amounts of bio.
    The question to "alpine5gt" (or any other member with expertise) is: What proportion of which acid (sulphuric, hydrochloric, vinegar, nitric ??) should we use to try to fix the problem?

Many thanks,

Stephen

try 2litres of white vinigar if you like as its easy and safe
    Cheers
    Nick.
    Harold 2002 Toyota Landcruiser 105 series. 4.2lt turbo glide turbo, Too lazy to make bio nowdays times money. 3'' lift.

Roidio 2001 Holden Rodeo 4x4 2.8L TD. 2.5" exhaust sytem, H/E shower system. 4" Lift, Airbags, And lots of fruit, B100 for 55,000 . SOLD

Elsa 1983 Mercedes-Benz W123 300D. Still The Fastest Merc in Oz, Self built and Female proofed. COUSINS NOW

Hi all, I did'nt use any reactant, only time (with some sunlight) to get the goop to dissapear (I passed the bio thru a 1 micro filter to make sure.) I have now resumed picking up oil from a new supplier (same shop) It seemed I needed 1.2Kg of Pottasium per 100L oil. I did in 2 steps and not happy with the results. So I did what I did 2 months ago and this time added 300g in 1 liter of meth and added it to the brew and turned on the pump again for 1/2 hour, it looks good and will let it settle for the night before further process.

Oh, I must apoligize, the dark red fluid seems like it was mostly bi-product mixed with bio somehow. After tipping all the small containers into larger 20L jobs the mixing looks like very clear byproduct, it was very clear before the mixing. I will let it settle for a few weeks and see the result.
    Steven