Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Blending WVO w/ RUG and Kero??

Blending WVO w/ RUG and Kero??

Does anyone blend in their diesel? I run WVO, but want to get better lubrication in my diesel tank. I have seen 70% WVO 20% Kero 10% RUG. I used this last summer and my lift pump went out on my Cummins. But it does have 100,000 on that pump. But my engine is much louder on diesel than on WVO.

What do you blend and for how long???
    94' 5.9L Cummins (230 HP)

Re: Blending WVO w/ RUG and Kero??

Your blending ratio will depend on the lowest temperature you encounter when starting. Here where it's warm all year I use WVO with 30% jet fuel and could probably use less. Opinion seems to be that any blend with more than a few percent of VO will have enough lubricant property.
    My 1HZ Landcruiser (precombustion motor) likes the kero/veg blends but I find I can easily use too much RUG and cause detonation and rough running. If kero/jet fuel is not available, look at heating oils, and if they are as thin as Kero they may be a good blending choice. A few percent of RUG can aid starting at lower temps. Keep thinning until your cold startups are about as quick and clean as they are on diesel and you could be OK. Regards, Combustor.
    HZJ78 Cruiser on blends in East Kimberley.

Quote Originally Posted by WVOdrvr View Post
    SNIP
    I run WVO, but want to get better lubrication in my diesel tank.
    SNIP
    How much better lubrication do you want?
    Adding less than 5% WVO to your diesel will improve the lubricity of the fuel way above ULSD and above LSD also.

It sounds like someone has been sprouting the IP manufacturer bulletins to you.

Regards,
    Tony
    Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
    '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel single tank using 95% used cooking oil and 5% to 10% misfuel (where someone had filled diesel vehicle with petrol).
    '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab. Running on used cooking oil with 5% to 10% misfuel.
    Toyota Camry Hybrid - (Wife's Car)

Previous Vehicles:
    '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup. Died when supercharger stuck at max boost for weeks. Stretched head bolts.
    '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
    '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Donor for current Fatmobile coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
    '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
    '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
    Parts Car C220 1993 All body panels, headlights, interior engine and ECU available.

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
    Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Hi WVOdrvr,

I run a two tank system. In the wvo tank I use 95% WVO and 5% Rug blend.
    In the diesel tank I blend in summer 50% WVO, 40%Diesel, 10% Rug. In winter 20% WVO, 70% diesel, 10-15% Rug.

I have stopped the blends now in my start up diesel tank and only add 2-5% wvo to improve the lubrication.

I noticed on the blend when starting from cold carbon deposits were forming on the injectors and glowplugs. There was often a puff of white smoke out of the exhaust which signals unburnt wvo.

I have seen 70% WVO 20% Kero 10% RUG. I used this last summer and my lift pump went out on my Cummins.
    I don't know what type of ip you have, but on a blend when you start the engine cold it may add extra strain on the ip if the blend is thicker than normal diesel.

God bless, froggo.
    HJ45 Landcruiser Troopy
    Home made 2 tank system
    Blending in main diesel tank
    SVO/WVO Converted 18/01/08
    http://www.biofuelsforum.com/svo_users/3667-hj45_troopy_conversion.html

Quote Originally Posted by froggo View Post
    Hi WVOdrvr,

I run a two tank system. In the wvo tank I use 95% WVO and 5% Rug blend.
    Do you get vapor lock or anything with the blend? I run 2 FPHE that brings my temp up to 160 to 180 degrees before my lift pump. Will this create pre detonation or vapor lock if I mix RUG??
    94' 5.9L Cummins (230 HP)

Hi WVOdrvr,

I run 2x30fphe's and have never had any issues with max 10% Rug during summer.

There is a limit to the amount of Rug you can use so you may need to experiment a bit to find what suits your vehicle.

God bless, froggo.
    HJ45 Landcruiser Troopy
    Home made 2 tank system
    Blending in main diesel tank
    SVO/WVO Converted 18/01/08
    http://www.biofuelsforum.com/svo_users/3667-hj45_troopy_conversion.html

I have been running various blends of WVO and unleaded gasoline (RUG/Petrol) since Feb, 2007 on a 1983 Chevy 6.2L diesel with a Stanadyne Rotary DB2 IP. I have started the engine with no difficulty on an 80/20 (WVO/gas (petrol)) mix down to 3F (-16c). I have found that by blending as little as 5% gasoline (petrol) in the summer, and as much as 30% in the winter, the engine starts and runs as if it was running on diesel fuel.

Wth RUG blends I find that cold starts are Ok but restarting when hot can be difficult. The motor will run like a hairy goat for maybe a minute. I believe the RUG is vapourizing in the injector lines etc and doesn't inject nicely till temps normalize downward.
    I wonder if the engine compartment being VERY cramped in the Hiace has anything to do with this heat soak issue?

My engine is almost 30 years old, so it runs a little rough at first on whatever fuel I run on, even 100% diesel fuel. But, I do not have the runs rough hot problem you are reporting.

I doubt seriously if the petrol in your blend is vaporizing in the injector lines, because volitilization is a product of pressure, and the fuel in the injector lines is going to be under high pressure. If you are having a vapor lock problem then it is mostly likely going to occur in the low pressure portion of your fuel supply, which is before the lift pump. And, if that portion is not heated, then you should not be having a vapor lock problem.

Maybe your glow plug temperature sensor is bad, so it is not detecting the the glow plugs need to be powered at hot start.

Jeffrey, you might be onto something here with the point about GP's. I made mine manual switched when all the problems with burning them out was frustrating me. Am planning to re-instate the stock set up there. Thanks.
    As a test today, I doubled the RUG amount in the tank and it wasnt any worse.
    I'm happy to say I've not had any IP failure and this van has had lots of vege put through it in 5 years come May.