Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: Biodiesel from bowsers in SA

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Central West NSW
    Posts
    213

    Biodiesel from bowsers in SA

    BD is available in bulk or from a bowser in a range of blends (B20 Premium and B100) from SAFF Farmers Fuels outlets. See http://www.farmersfuel.com.au/

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    1,654

    Re: Biodiesel from bowsers in SA

    I've been waiting for any South Australians to pop up in this forum, but I guess that with such as wide range of servos selling it at the pump, they are a bit spoiled. Unlike the rest of us, they don't have to whinge in forums about the lack of biodiesel and organise themselves together to buy it in drums.
    Robert.
    Site Admin.

  3. #3

    Re: Biodiesel from bowsers in SA

    Hi there,

    I am a regular user of SAFF Fuels Biodiesel in Adelaide.

    Don't get too envious of the "wide range of outlets" - most of the SAFF fuel outlets are independently owned and don't have BioDiesel pumps.

    I usually buy from SAFF Pooraka and have had good experiences.

    I am a tour operator with a 4.2 Diesel Landcruiser GXL 100 Series.

    Only problems are:

    1. supply - quite often they will not have any

    2. price variability - I travel quite a way to get the stuff and they are inconsistent in their price - they say "2cpl less than normal diesel", but they are not frequent changers of their prices so a price set in the weekly inflated market may stay inflated until their only supervisor gets in and makes the change.

    3. price inconsistency - they price at every station differently. Generally it is only at the SAFF Fuels owned stations that you can get Biodiesel anyway. They can vary by 8cpl and don't talk to each other

    4. Only available in Northern Adelaide - their Blackwood (Southern) station recently was sold and doesn't seem to be continuing with biodiesel

    Ciao for now
    Andrew
    Vivid Adventures Photography Tours

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    6

    Re: Biodiesel from bowsers in SA

    Hi everybody, I am from Adelaide, and have just joined the forum.
    I am taking a slightly different tac for sourcing a reliable source of oils, and am thinking I should aproach some farmers who produce some oils crops to make diesel.
    Does anybody have any contacts in this area that I may follow up...?
    I have unsuccessfully, tried to source used cooking oils, If anybody has a reliable contact of used cooking oils could you please let me.
    Thankyou.
    Michael Kennedy
    wtodamk@airnet.com.au
    0409690710

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    melbourne
    Posts
    421

    Re: Biodiesel from bowsers in SA

    Quote Originally Posted by wtodamk
    Hi everybody, I am from Adelaide, and have just joined the forum.
    I am taking a slightly different tac for sourcing a reliable source of oils, and am thinking I should aproach some farmers who produce some oils crops to make diesel.
    Does anybody have any contacts in this area that I may follow up...?
    I have unsuccessfully, tried to source used cooking oils, If anybody has a reliable contact of used cooking oils could you please let me.
    Thankyou.
    Michael Kennedy
    wtodamk@airnet.com.au
    0409690710
    How did you go with oil supply? If you are still scratching around let me know
    Cheers
    Chris

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    6

    Re: Biodiesel from bowsers in SA

    Hi Chris,
    I have not had any luck trying to procure any oils as of yet...
    It is extremely hard, and any prices for oils are too expensive..
    I wish I knew somebody as I would be purchasing around 400 - 500 litres per week of oil..
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    And on the other topic of being spoilt in SA with Bio-Diesel outlets, You have got to be kidding, there are only a couple of outlets and they are on the other side of Adelaide, making it a non viable proposition for me..

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    6

    Re: Biodiesel from bowsers in SA

    Oh I did forget to mention, that I have about 16 - 44Gallon (205 litre) drums for anybody who wants them. They have been used for carrying diesel.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    WA
    Posts
    4,111

    Re: Biodiesel from bowsers in SA

    Quote Originally Posted by wtodamk
    Oh I did forget to mention, that I have about 16 - 44Gallon (205 litre) drums for anybody who wants them. They have been used for carrying diesel.
    You should keep them for transporting veggie oil.
    You need to look up food processing industries in your state and speak to the manager or stores people to determine what they use and how they deal with the used cooking oils. You may be able to buy from them, outside of their oil pickup contract. It is amazing how much weight a few cartons of "liquid amber" can carry with the management and staff of workplaces. I believe the going rate for "Crownies" is around 250 - 500 litres per carton. Nothing appears on the 'books' but the workplace morale improves markedly.
    Tony
    Last edited by Tony From West Oz; 26th June 2006 at 01:03 AM.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    289

    Re: Biodiesel from bowsers in SA

    If you finally get lucky with a restaurant to pick up their WVO, those 44's will be like gold. The best way to be successful with a restaurant is to make the waste pick up as easy and "path of least resistance" and "no mess" as possible. You may need to cut up a 44, install a wire gauze, and leave it onsite for the restaurant. so hold onto them. Some recyclers sell cleaned 44's for $50, typical price.
    The first BD reactor i have ever seen, a "Golddiesel" plant, based on the Appleseed plant, is made from two 44,s welded to a frame with a few pumps and pipes, a few bells and whistles for good measure, and sold for SIX THOUSAND DOLLARS!!
    Dont trust anyone named Colin Gillam, who has been reselling the same Golddiesel plant now for years.
    A 44 with the top cut out, turned upside down and an elbow tap fitted to the 19mm out, then sitting on blocks to elevate it, makes a great settling tank, to drop out the water in WVO and to drop out the glycerine in unwashed BD.
    Last edited by darren leonadas; 28th June 2006 at 03:15 PM.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    melbourne
    Posts
    421

    Re: Biodiesel from bowsers in SA

    Quote Originally Posted by darren leonadas
    If you finally get lucky with a restaurant to pick up their WVO, those 44's will be like gold. The best way to be successful with a restaurant is to make the waste pick up as easy and "path of least resistance" and "no mess" as possible. You may need to cut up a 44, install a wire gauze, and leave it onsite for the restaurant. so hold onto them. Some recyclers sell cleaned 44's for $50, typical price.
    The first BD reactor i have ever seen, a "Golddiesel" plant, based on the Appleseed plant, is made from two 44,s welded to a frame with a few pumps and pipes, a few bells and whistles for good measure, and sold for SIX THOUSAND DOLLARS!!
    Dont trust anyone named Colin Gillam, who has been reselling the same Golddiesel plant now for years.
    A 44 with the top cut out, turned upside down and an elbow tap fitted to the 19mm out, then sitting on blocks to elevate it, makes a great settling tank, to drop out the water in WVO and to drop out the glycerine in unwashed BD.
    Darren
    You are spot on mate, I have come accross this outfit
    In a previous posting of mine I did mention that what I saw was about $1500 worth and in that I was generous
    In all fairness to the man you mention when I spoke to him he suggested that the units where to dear he also said to me that he is no longer involved with selling the units as the people that were making them up were not prepared to reduce their prices So he no longer sells these units, this was about two months ago
    In so far as drums are concerned I will be bringing some at the meeting at CERES to give away so ANYONE that is interested let me know and make sure you have some means of taking them home with you as well as something to tie them down with
    That is so I dont have to take them back home again
    Cheers
    Chris
    They are from
    Cheers

Similar Threads

  1. Biodiesel and Particulate Filters (DPF)
    By Robert in forum General Biodiesel Discussion
    Replies: 64
    Last Post: 28th October 2008, 11:53 PM
  2. Volkswagen's Position on Biodiesel
    By Robert in forum Australian Biodiesel Industry Forum
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 15th October 2008, 03:47 PM
  3. European scene Biodiesel
    By Chris in forum General Biodiesel Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 5th July 2006, 11:49 AM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 29th June 2006, 03:26 AM
  5. BAA Industry Strategy Meeting 2006
    By Robert in forum Australian Biodiesel Industry Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 2nd May 2006, 12:53 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •