Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 1hz wont rev heaps of smoke

Re: 1hz wont rev heaps of smoke

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Mark View Post
    Actually, it works for everyone that's done it (and if you hunt around 4Wd forums you'll find plenty). There are absolutely no down sides to it and plenty of upsides.
    I don't know that any one is saying that adding a low pressure pump is a bad idea. What we are saying is that there most likely is another problem that still needs to be resolved.

The pump has other benefits, like priming. No problem with that.

In this section of the forum, we're pretty used to having to deal with much greater viscosity problems than the difference between dino diesel and BioD no matter the installation.

I installed a Posiflow in the early days when I was having trouble with flow and viscosity in my HJ61. It worked okay on a blend, but wouldn't push anything over about 50% veggie oil and in fact led to greater problems because I assumed that because I had a pump, then the problems would be resolved. They weren't, and the pump restricted flow on the thicker oils.

The solution for my setup was to install 12mm fuel lines so the IP lift pump did not have to suck as hard. I've now heated those lines as well. These solutions are failsafe and will not let me down in the bush off road somewhere, which always worries me about having an extra electrical component.

Installing a pump may appear to resolve the problem, but there must be an underlying problem that is always worthwhile tracking down and resolving.

Tim

Tim,
    Thanks for your support.

Mark,
    I am not dismissing the addition of a fuel pump as a worthwhile exercise.
    I am trying to identify the problem which is causing the fuel starvation.

White smoke = fuel starvation and this was reinforced by Wayne's action of pumping the primer, to restore power.

Once the fault has been repaired, I am happy for him to add a lift punmp , IF he feels the need to do so.

Until he has repaired the fault, adding another variable (aka Fuel pump) may just confues the issue and make diagnosis more difficult.

Thanks fro your suggestions,

Tony
    Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
    '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab. Running on used cooking oil with 5% to 10% misfuel.
    '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP)

Previous Vehicles:
    '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup. Died when supercharger stuck at max boost for weeks. Stretched head bolts.
    '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
    '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Donor for current Fatmobile coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
    '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
    '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
    Parts Car C220 1993 SOLD.
    '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel single tank using 95% used cooking oil and 5% to 10% misfuel (where someone had filled diesel vehicle with petrol).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
    Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tim-HJ61 View Post
    I don't know that any one is saying that adding a low pressure pump is a bad idea. What we are saying is that there most likely is another problem that still needs to be resolved.

The pump has other benefits, like priming. No problem with that.

In this section of the forum, we're pretty used to having to deal with much greater viscosity problems than the difference between dino diesel and BioD no matter the installation.

I installed a Posiflow in the early days when I was having trouble with flow and viscosity in my HJ61. It worked okay on a blend, but wouldn't push anything over about 50% veggie oil and in fact led to greater problems because I assumed that because I had a pump, then the problems would be resolved. They weren't, and the pump restricted flow on the thicker oils.

The solution for my setup was to install 12mm fuel lines so the IP lift pump did not have to suck as hard. I've now heated those lines as well. These solutions are failsafe and will not let me down in the bush off road somewhere, which always worries me about having an extra electrical component.

Installing a pump may appear to resolve the problem, but there must be an underlying problem that is always worthwhile tracking down and resolving.

Tim
    Not necessarily. I had my IP rebuilt with Viton seals for BioD a couple of years ago by Diesel Australia in Qld. They did a good job except...it seemed to be down on power. I at first thought I was imagining it, and given the expense involved in my mechanic pulling it out again, I figured I'd leave it.

When I was moving to VIC, however, and it wouldn't pull 100kmh up any kind of hill I knew something was wrong. It was still driveable, however, so I figured I'd leave it until it got a major overhaul (including a turbo).

When I had this done, Ray at Turbo Engineering said that the (???) part of the IP wasn't working properly (some pressure-related thingo). I'd told him I wanted a lift pump fitted, and he said that'd fix the problem. To cut a long story short that's what I did - I could have pulled it out, sent it back and asked them to fix the (???) bit, but fitting the lift pump solved the problem and it runs faultlessly now.

Interesting comments about the posi-flow and SVO. Hadn't heard that before. My first lift pump was a Walbro FRB-51 - bigger, noisier, chunkier, and more expensive. By the looks of it I'd say it'd have a wider tolerance for viscosities than the much smaller posi-flow.

was this issue fixed?

sounds like a restriction in the fuel from tank to lift pump, the extra visc of bio adds to this and it will suck air into the line from the smallest of leaks (you don't have to see oily spot where air gets in)

that tank filter looks like a first point of call just for the maintenance side of it if nothing else

cheers Murf

I have been trying to find out if there is a filter on the hzj79r pickup for bloody months- nay years.
    I have the original posters problem to a tee. Blown down the supply line SOO many times .That tank has gotta be opened up.
    No need to ask questions now. Got it all from looking in the archives.
    My problem partially goes away when I pressurise the fuel tank at the filler ( suspected air ingress somewhere ).
    Much worse in colder weather - I run 50/50 veg diesel
    12 mm fuel lines a good idea
    Kudos to the members who replied to Gibbo and our problem

[/QUOTE]
    Last edited by farmerpete; 27th August 2016 at 06:38 PM. Reason: spelling

Pete don't discount the idea you may have 2 problems at once, blocked filter in tank, if your filter is like the photo for sure it is one problem. You may also have an air leak, likely the primer pump. The rubber diaphragm gets rotted by oil or bio and cracks. Can't be repaired but I have capped off 2 of mine. No more primer pump though, but I have another solution for that and it doesn't involve jumping up and down on a round bit of steel. Good luck with getting to your filter.
    Johnnojack
    4WD Isuzu Jackaroo 3.1 170,000km on WVO,(2017) 2 tank home built system 6 solenoids. Mk. 9 version. Improvements under investigation

Oh yeah ... forgot to say that prime pump is shot as well.. yet another variable.heh

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnojack View Post
    Pete don't discount the idea you may have 2 problems at once, blocked filter in tank, if your filter is like the photo for sure it is one problem. You may also have an air leak, likely the primer pump. The rubber diaphragm gets rotted by oil or bio and cracks. Can't be repaired but I have capped off 2 of mine. No more primer pump though, but I have another solution for that and it doesn't involve jumping up and down on a round bit of steel. Good luck with getting to your filter.

Priming pumps can leak air into the fuel line. Repair or remove and bypass the primer, then see what issues remain.
    Regards,
    Tony
    Last edited by Tony From West Oz; 28th August 2016 at 10:07 PM.
    Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
    '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab. Running on used cooking oil with 5% to 10% misfuel.
    '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP)

Previous Vehicles:
    '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup. Died when supercharger stuck at max boost for weeks. Stretched head bolts.
    '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
    '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Donor for current Fatmobile coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
    '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
    '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
    Parts Car C220 1993 SOLD.
    '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel single tank using 95% used cooking oil and 5% to 10% misfuel (where someone had filled diesel vehicle with petrol).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
    Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tony From West Oz View Post
    Priming pumps can leak air into the fuel line. Repair or remove and bypass the primer, then see what issues remain.
    Regards,
    Tony
    I had the same problem I put a sealed one on and put a inline electric pump which fixed the problem

"There's also a gauze filter on the inside of the IP that veggie users find gets clogged with gunk "Tim you mentioned this on page 1 of this thread..... Please explaaaaain ?Cheers Peter