Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: 1hz wont rev heaps of smoke

Re: 1hz wont rev heaps of smoke

On my last LC I removed the hand priming pump and replaced it with a temp sensor, seemed the perfect place to put it right before the IP.
    The in tank screen filters are a PITA and any opportunity you have to remove a tank and get rid of them, do so, if not before going out of the way to remove them.

Quote Originally Posted by farmerpete View Post
    "There's also a gauze filter on the inside of the IP that veggie users find gets clogged with gunk "Tim you mentioned this on page 1 of this thread..... Please explaaaaain ?Cheers Peter

Peter,
    Some IPs have a gauze or sintered brass filter where the fuel enters the IP. A lot of people didn't know about this and had issues, despite replacing all other filters in the fuel system.
    If all else fails, remove the pipe going to the IP and check for a gauze or sintered brass filter there.
    Tony
    Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
    '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab. Running on used cooking oil with 5% to 10% misfuel.
    '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP)

Previous Vehicles:
    '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup. Died when supercharger stuck at max boost for weeks. Stretched head bolts.
    '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
    '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Donor for current Fatmobile coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
    '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
    '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
    Parts Car C220 1993 SOLD.
    '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel single tank using 95% used cooking oil and 5% to 10% misfuel (where someone had filled diesel vehicle with petrol).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
    Adding images and/or documents to your posts

So I've replaced a few fuel lines with plastic hose and there is heaps of air. Starting was poor ...after 4 or 5 cranks as well.
    In the end I ran a 10mm hose from the tank straight to the prime pump which I relocated next to the injector pump. Prime pump has been tested for soundness an is ok
    Way less air now but it does return by the end of the day
    Motor starts first crank when all air has been purged.
    I researched a little and found injectors are way past refurbish time at 300 000kms so that is on the cards next. Poor injector performance can also cause black/ white smoke and no revs
    Evidently the "suck" side of the injector pump can get a little weak due to a spring getting old. This is why getting on the primer pump when the engine is falling apart and smoking at 2500rpm gives me an extra 500rpm and no smoke.
    A low pressure fuel pump will fix this issue until the injector pump needs a full refurb altho I read that someone said 7-8 psi max pressure for the electric pump.
    I still haven't opened the tank to check out the in tank fuel pick up filter but will when spraying slows up with the hot weather
    Tony - I pulled off the intake pipe to the injector pump. No filter but gunk in there that needed cleaning out
    So in short ..much air was being sucked into the fuel line at various points.
    I've removed 90% of the air and engine rums better and starts better.
    Air is still getting in and needs more investigation.
    Electric pump will make up for poor suck from the IP pump
    Drop the fuel tank and remove in tank filter.
    Incidentally my local guru diesel mechanic thought my 1HZ had piston slap on 50% veg/diesel . A tick tick tick sound. Luckily I discovered it goes away when I go back to 100% dino diesel
    More results later
    PS I just picked up a 98 E300 turbo diesel mercedes benz with 200 000 kms for $3200. Removed and cleaned out the fuel tank and does she go like the clappers on veg oil. very happy so far... My 83 yo dad has one as well
    Cheers
    Last edited by farmerpete; 24th November 2016 at 06:19 PM. Reason: info

A fair outcome thus far.
    White smoke is unburnt fuel / low combustion temperatures. This can be caused by the wrong fuel or fuel starvation (Air in fuel line)
    Black smoke is due to over fueling, with normal combustion temperatures.
    Tic, tic sound is usually injectors - 'nailing' / 'rattling' which is an indication that they need overhauling (if it sounds like there is someone hammering on the engine)
    Most (non EFI) fuel pumps will only deliver up to 8 psi.
    Not sure of the fuel lift pump diagnosis as most of these use the cam to compress the spring, filling the chamber with fuel. The spring provides fuel pressure. Easy to test, get a pressure gauge on the outlet and use the primer (the old white style should be replaced immediately, they allow air to leak in, with the new sealed black type) to pressurise the system. Search online for the specs for fuel pressure. Crank engine and compare the pressures. If low, repair the pump.

The OM605 / 606 engines are great. Get a full set of fuel system O rings and be prepared to change them if there are any cold starting issues. What happens is that if an O ring leaks air in, the fuel drains back to the tank. There is no hand primer, so you have to crank the engine to get fuel thru and if the O ring is leaking you may not get it primed. A non return valve in the fuel line will help avoid this, but fuel could still flow back to the tank via the return line, allowing air to enter the IP.
    Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
    '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab. Running on used cooking oil with 5% to 10% misfuel.
    '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP)

Previous Vehicles:
    '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup. Died when supercharger stuck at max boost for weeks. Stretched head bolts.
    '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
    '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Donor for current Fatmobile coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
    '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
    '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
    Parts Car C220 1993 SOLD.
    '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel single tank using 95% used cooking oil and 5% to 10% misfuel (where someone had filled diesel vehicle with petrol).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
    Adding images and/or documents to your posts

I used google pictures and went to the web pages of multo problems involving no power / smoking 1hz engines
    So one bloke did what I did...checked the filter screen in the injector pump inlet and couldn't see one but he went down in the hole about 60 mm with a piece of wire with a hook on the end and found one
    So did I... and found one. I did look at some stage previously but didn't really know what I was looking for
    Pulled it out with a twisted picky thing and blocked to buggery. Its built of delicate fine s/s mesh
    Cleaned out with SCA degreasing spray and a .22 calibre soft nylon barrel brush. the filter had no plastic base so left crap at bottom of hole.
    Fortunately the fuel intake down that hole is about 2 cm off the bottom so sucked out out the contents thru a small plastic hose by mouth.
    Back flushed with gravity thru the return line with diesel to make sure its all clean and sucked out again
    Back together with the external fuel tank on the ladder and no facet pump attached
    No bubbles ....
    4500 rpm and black smoke
    ...that made for a big smile. Didn't check for air bubbles in the return line.
    Still need to check for air leaks as I put the fuel system back together to find what is allowing air in
    I took some photos will post soon
    Thanks to ewes all for your inputs.
    I just realised the engine probably hasn't revved to max for 7 or 8 years because this was developing slowly
    Last edited by farmerpete; 26th April 2017 at 12:39 PM. Reason: found answer to the problem

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	24022017_001_.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	23.5 KB 
ID:	2242 factory fail safe filter underneath the intake line on the injector pump