Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2001 Rodeo 4JB1 T 2.8 piston / engine failure

2001 Rodeo 4JB1 T 2.8 piston / engine failure

Everybody take a big breath (especially me). I have been hard at it for the last 2 years making fuel for my 2001 Rodeo 2.8lt. With about 50,000 kms and 5500 litres under my belt I thought all was going well and there was only sunshine on the horizon as far as saving money and running around the country on a sustainable fuel. A couple of weeks ago will heading into town I lost power, put the clutch in thinking it was a fuel problem (blockage etc) and the engine raced away red lining on the tacho. Quickly let the clutch out and pulled over and had to stall it to stop the motor. Climbed out and there is a big cloud of smoke disappearing off to the north with the wind. Took the filler cap of the rocker cover and she is fuming pretty bad. Tried to start, one compression gone and a nasty clicking sound. Oh **** this is something serious I think.
    It took me another week to get the head off and was greeted to a nasty big crack in number 2 piston, a 1 cm round hole in the cylinder liner and serious scoring in the bore. My father (mechanic with 50 years of experience) pulled it out and pulled it down and it turns out that one of the retaining clips off of number 2 piston is gone and the gudgen pin has been floating about and running on the bore. Pretty sure the piston failed first, burning through and weakening the clip and then everything has gone to **** after that.
    I was pretty happy with the combustion chamber and internals looking very clean; I could rub the carbon off the top of the piston with a piece of rag and the aluminium would shine underneath. My father was thinking it was just a freak thing and the clip had let go or the piston had failed on its own – not the fuels fault. On closer inspection of all four pistons what I thought were tooling marks where they have been stamped turned out to be cracks, pretty much in the same location on each piston which was one of those blood draining from your head sort of moments.

Check out the photos and the rest of this post on the photo called "top" at http://www.flickr.com/photos/56529054@N08/?saved=1 as I can't seem to post any more text here as too long
    Last edited by contenderoz; 14th December 2010 at 10:48 AM.

Re: 2001 Rodeo 4JB1 T 2.8 piston / engine failure

gday contenderoz

now im not much of a mechanic at all so ill say that first up.

i had perhaps a similar problem with the exact same engine (1998 4jb1 2.8TD) but that was at about 250000km. The problem was diagnosed as a failed oil pump. no way of knowing this until the engine was stuffed. i think i do recall a cracked piston as well.........

it is quite easy to jump to the Biodiesel as the culprit, but having done 50000km it seems to me very unlikely. i would look in to the performance of your oil pump and oil pressure. the 4jb1 has been notorious for oil pump failures - but generally a lot more km on the clock.

just a thought. i have now done 75000km on the new engine on bio and no dramas.

cheers

FB

FB

This is sounding similar to another thread.
    Might be something with the 2.8 Isuzu.

Thanks for the replies so far. I want to continue running biofuel but the whole deal has left a bit of a sour taste in my mouth and I don't know how I will ever get a clear answer on weather it was the fuel / a combination of fuel and not changing the air filter for ages (I have since learnt how critical the air-fuel mixture is for combustion temperature) or a failing of the 4JB1 engine. One thing I can say for sure is that the piston design does make them more suseptable to cracking. A simpler old school design with a more solid / flat top would not be as prone to cracking as a result of higher combustion temperatures or more violent combustion.

Any other Rodeo owners out there that can chip in with their milage on B100. I think this will be the best way I can find out if my B100 is causing problems or not.

Thanks Al
    Last edited by contenderoz; 17th December 2010 at 01:54 PM.

If you do a bit more searching you should find a similar thread.
    I can't think of his user name but think he was from Tamworth way.

Thanks Neil,

I can remember following that thread when it was running and have just read it all again. I have not really learnt much more from it, only it turned out for old mate with the problem being stuck rings and nothing terminal.
    Is RODEONICK still on the forum, I would be interested to here how far he has gone with his TF Rodeo. I will see if i can pm him. Al

Quote Originally Posted by contenderoz View Post
    Thanks Neil,

I can remember following that thread when it was running and have just read it all again. I have not really learnt much more from it, only it turned out for old mate with the problem being stuck rings and nothing terminal.
    Is RODEONICK still on the forum, I would be interested to here how far he has gone with his TF Rodeo. I will see if i can pm him. Al

The thing that stuck in my mind reading your post was the other posters same
    description of the engine racing and big puff of smoke, sounded very
    similar to how you described it.

g'day g'day

Sorry i can barely be bothered with this forum anymore but ill give all you dao folk an update.

A couple of months ago i noticed my dao turbo had excessive shaft play and slight oil leaks, i had a brand new jackaroo 4jx1 turbo lyin round so i thought about changing it over but the flanges and centre bearing assy are differently orrientated (the 4jx1 is heaps bigger). My injectors were original and my glow plugs had just been renewed so i thought stuff it, the car has over 300k (100k on bio) under the belt so ill put a freshy in her seeing as im doin the mid life upgrade of the other items. Then the crazy reckless nick came out and said ill frount mount intercool, thermo fan and water/meth inject her while im at it.
    So then i was thinkin this is gonna take a while and i need my vehicle for towing. So ebay bargain searching started. I picked up a 97 dual cab with 389k on it and a blown motor for under $1100. Brought it home stripped the canopy, racks uhf spotties hi lift jact etc and sold them off made $800 back.
    I started the 97's engine to diagnose, massive blow by so i figured stuffed pistons or rings so then then started the strip by pullin the whole engine out put it in a stand and went nuts. piston 1 hole right through it caused by crack, pistons 234 all starting to crack.
    Last edited by RODEONICK; 3rd January 2011 at 08:11 PM.
    Cheers
    Nick.
    Harold 2002 Toyota Landcruiser 105 series. 4.2lt turbo glide turbo, Too lazy to make bio nowdays times money. 3'' lift.

Roidio 2001 Holden Rodeo 4x4 2.8L TD. 2.5" exhaust sytem, H/E shower system. 4" Lift, Airbags, And lots of fruit, B100 for 55,000 . SOLD

Elsa 1983 Mercedes-Benz W123 300D. Still The Fastest Merc in Oz, Self built and Female proofed. COUSINS NOW

The cause of this cracking is by overfueling.
    EGT GAUGES SAVE TURBO DIESELS. GEDDIT.....
    We can all say better off with a flat piston but fact is their not efficient. The dao piston design is really good but like any hot piston facing direct injection squirting cold, irregular pattern, poorly timed or excessive fuel well ill just say its a tough life.
    The biggest killer of diesels is too high EGT's it melts or weakens everything.

anyway i brought a full rebuild kit for the donk for $1100. So did the usual but some extras as i was building it for performance and to withstand the massive boost im chasing. (25psi) balenced crank,blueprinting,head port and polish etc etc.
    had to get custom intake and exhaust manifold to suit the turbo and frount mount.

so next i ripped out my daos engine and set aside to go into the 97 as its still good just not good enough for my power lust. ( IM selling the 97 with my engine in it to a mate.)

so in went the new engine into my car withnew clutch etc now accross to a mates place where he managed to fit the intercooler between the condesor and radiator by clever manipulation. we pissed off the engine fan and opted for 2x 12 inch thermos wired to temp switch and manual override for times when chasing max power by pulling more air over the cooler.
    All cooler piping had to be custom made my me and my mate plus hi flow dump pipe to match up with my existing 2.5 inch muffer free exhaust and various other brackets and stuff for fuse box being moved etc etc as you know change one thing change 5 as a consiquence.

anyway its running now (not driving yet) few issues to sort tommorrow, turbo oil return pipe leaking ( replaceing with flex braided line) Cooler pipe contacting gaurd ( p-clip to stop movement) and boost and egt gauges to be electrically conected. ( the egt probe is allready installed in the custom dump pipe we made up.)

So heres the list:
    new engine
    frount mount intercooler
    twin thermofans
    bigger turbo
    custom manifolds and dump pipe
    new injectors
    glow plugs
    injector pump
    walbro boost pump

any way hope this is of some interest to you. Im trying to get double factory HP and im pretty confident ill get it.
    Remember have a go do it yourself it really aint that hard.
    Cheers
    Nick.
    Harold 2002 Toyota Landcruiser 105 series. 4.2lt turbo glide turbo, Too lazy to make bio nowdays times money. 3'' lift.

Roidio 2001 Holden Rodeo 4x4 2.8L TD. 2.5" exhaust sytem, H/E shower system. 4" Lift, Airbags, And lots of fruit, B100 for 55,000 . SOLD

Elsa 1983 Mercedes-Benz W123 300D. Still The Fastest Merc in Oz, Self built and Female proofed. COUSINS NOW

Sounds great Nick, good work. I presume the 4JX1 turbo has been made to fit the 2.8 ?
    Johnnojack
    4WD Isuzu Jackaroo 3.1 170,000km on WVO,(2017) 2 tank home built system 6 solenoids. Mk. 9 version. Improvements under investigation