Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 40,000 kms Without Petrol Stations

40,000 kms Without Petrol Stations

In March the Green Way Up boys will be taking off on their expedition to drive from the bottom of Australia to the top of Europe without filling up at a petrol station. They will use a portable biodiesel processor to make their fuel.

You can find more information on their website or by joining their facebook page.

The team will be making a 6 part documentary from their adventure - here is a quick handy-cam flavoured version.. YouTube - TheGreenWayUp's Channel

Bob is the team engineer and the portable processor designer - he'd love any feedback and would happily answer questions.. bob@thegreenwayup.com

Re: 40,000 kms Without Petrol Stations

Good luck fellas!!!

Doing this trip on 100% veggie oil, without the methanol and caustic needed for the BioD processing, is a dream of mine that is unlikely to be fulfilled, so I will follow your exploits with interests.

Tim
    Toyota Landcruiser 1988 HJ61 Manual Wagon
    12H-T turbo Direct Injection.
    Twin Tank setup runs on 100% WVO after warm up. 30 plate FPHE with 80C output, 12mm fuel lines
    Start up and shut down electric fuel pump feeds IP direct.
    Front 4WDSytstems Lokka, Rear ARB airlokka for quick escapes up sandhills. Performance GTurbo with 600mm FMIC gives 450nm @ 1700rpm at 20psi boost.

Young guys and adventure, I also wish them luck, they'll need it.

Some quick sums show that 40,000 km in a ute (newish from the photo) will require about 4,000 litres of Bio. They will need ~800 litres of Meth for this. Where are they goin to get it in the middle northern India, Pakistan etc?? If the thing on the ute in the photo is the processor, it looks like it only does 20-40 litre batches at best.

Where do they get the water for washing the bio? What are they going to do with the waste water and glyc? How are they going to dry the bio?

The amount of time to make 4000 litres of bio with a small processor, tells me these guys do not have a clue with the realities of biodiesel, unless they plan on making very ordinary, unwashed fuel.

If they are lucky they will have major problems before they get past northern Queensland.

Bill

I like that idea. Go out rent a brand new common rail turbo Hilux. Fill it up with bio then go out thrash it doing some circle work.

That proves it can run on bio and will be all good for a 40,000k trip.
    I wish i had thought of this testing method. It looks like so much fun.

In the last couple of hours I have had a look at the different videos on youtube.

The boys stole the oil from the back of restaurants, hired a ute, I assume they ran it on the bio they made without telling the hire company. They made a batch of bio without washing it properly, and probably did not know to dry it. I wonder what they used as a power source to heat the oil and run the pumps, my bet is they plugged into 240v power. Have they checked that they can get 240v power where they are going??

They also tried to drink the bio. If this had been hardly washed then the guy who drank it was lucky not to poison himself.

What vehicle are they intending to use if they had to hire something to "experiment with" ?

There is nothing funny in what they are trying to do. It is an embarassment to the biodiesel community. There is nothing sustainable in what they are attempting, nor should they call it "green".

Bill

If only i had the balls like these fellas when i was their age.
    I do think it will be extremely challenging and tough at times but hey that is what the spirit of adventure is about, if it was easy and pushed no limits, what would that prove?
    As for Bushbill's comments i think you should encourage these young men, as without young fellas like them attempting things like this, the world would become very mundane very quickly.

Best of luck lads, I will be sure to follow your bioadventure

1 day with 5 responses - love it, cheers everyone. We certainly will need all the help we can get!

We're not travelling in a rodeo - that was a mates ute we borrowed for filming (the 83 hilux we run our biodiesel through didn't look so good on camera!). For the actual expedition, we're taking a 6 tonne truck that burns approx 16L per 100, so we're looking at approx 6,500 L of biodiesel to get to Norway!! that's a lotta biodiesel. Can't tell you what make and model just yet - 90% there to locking down that sponsor.

We'll be producing biodiesel along the way with a 150L processor. Cleaning it with a dry wash, then get rid of the wash with microfiltration... down to 0.3 of a micron. We will be carrying a tank full of methanol to allow us to bring our processor on the trip - approx 100L methanol tank will get us 500L of fuel - or more, at least 3500km... Of course we'll also have to carry caustic soda in fair qantities. Heat for the processor will be provided by an exchanger using the engine radiator system (PID controlled) and pumps will be 24V vehicle power. To get rid of the glycerine we're thinking of a side project - making soap! Yet to completely figure that one out.

The reason we had to 'experiment' is because we hadn't been running our fuel through a common rail - and the truck we're now looking at for the trip injects at 1600bar pressure. Renting the hilux was the cheapest option for that one! I can now confidently tell you, 100% biodiesel works in common-rails. Even the stuff we threw in, filtered to 50 micron - on the expedition we're doing 0.3 micron, so shouldn't be any clogging issues there...

RE shotting biodiesel, check out this video.

Not trying to be funny, we're about creating conversations. I hope we're not embarassments to the biodiesel - at the very least we are the ones out there trying to show it's possible. Lastly, we are called the 'green' way up, but by no means are we advertising ourselves as 100% eco friendly. Here's what we think on that.

Cheers Biodiesel Forum, love us or hate us, we enjoy hearing from you.

Bob,

Something is reminding me of a scene from the Long Way Round where Charlie Borman cracks the s...ts because he couldn't get his favourite bike and all the gear given to him via sponsored deals. No doubt he got well paid for his time too - good luck to him and those who mirror him and Mr McGregor.

There is many years of experience on this forum that'd be willing to guide and support newcomers endeavors, but we're not in your league of getting sponsored vehicles, film crews etc etc. Perhaps you could help the rest of us in gaining sponsorship to promote what we do in our everyday driving, and this would spread your word of sustainability even further.

Those of the forum that have run common rail engines on their own BioDiesel can give you many accounts of their successes - hiring a vehicle to prove an already proven point and showing off about it hasn't gone down so well with the aged warriors has it?

Also those of us that have travelled extensively around Australia collecting oil on the way are also more than happy to guide newcomers that wish to follow in our path, so the journey can be easier for you.

I sense some doubts from the forum about aspects of your planning. Not being coy and asking us for ideas and alternatives might elicit some very helpful solutions.

Tim
    Toyota Landcruiser 1988 HJ61 Manual Wagon
    12H-T turbo Direct Injection.
    Twin Tank setup runs on 100% WVO after warm up. 30 plate FPHE with 80C output, 12mm fuel lines
    Start up and shut down electric fuel pump feeds IP direct.
    Front 4WDSytstems Lokka, Rear ARB airlokka for quick escapes up sandhills. Performance GTurbo with 600mm FMIC gives 450nm @ 1700rpm at 20psi boost.

Watched the videos, O boy! you guys have a lot to learn.
    Johnnojack
    4WD Isuzu Jackaroo 3.1 170,000km on WVO,(2017) 2 tank home built system 6 solenoids. Mk. 9 version. Improvements under investigation

Talking Re: 40,000 kms Without Petrol Stations

Just watched them too. To be honest I'll be surprised if you get there. High altitude and a northern winter should be fun....

I am sure you blokes will a have an absolute blast along the way though.

Barring the not so in-frequent mishap, breakdown and failure of your brewing rig as you bounce accross some mongrel goat tracks for hours on end days at a time through places that you wont be able to speak the language to request some welding rods off the local black market man because your wash tank just fell off, I think it would be a good trip.

It could also be quite entertaining when you try to cross a border with a truck loaded with Methanol and glycerine without the appropriate licences for transport of large quantities. How are you going to get your super flammable rig on a ferry?

You've probably got all the possible sticking points solved though.

Sort out your life insurances first though and make sure it has allowances for "Death by madman in Turkmenistan" as a claimable event.
    Regards,

Cade.

2002 Landcruiser HZJ105r (1HZ motor) 250,000 on bio (sold)
    2006 Mazda B2500 (WLT motor) 80,000 on bio (sold)
    2006 Ford Courier(WLT Motor), just purchased