Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hydrogen generator update

Re: Hydrogen generator update

The only gas that could be called HHO gas is steam.

It is a pet peeve of mine, because the term HHO was coined by con artists trying to sell this idea for something that it was not. The more people use the term, the more likely it is for others to pick it up, and believe the lies that are all over the net about "browns gas" or "HHO generators" that can run your lawnmower off nothing but a teaspoon of water for 20 years...

What you are making is a mixture of two gases.

Oxygen gas (O2) and hydrogen gas (H2)
    Please click below for info on how you can help the victims of spinal injury, or just spread the word.

HHO is also called Browns Gas.
    It is the combined unburnt gases of 2 Hydrogen TO 1 Oxygen.. upon burning it becomes a minute amount of water..

Quote Originally Posted by Pert View Post
    HHO is also called Browns Gas.
    It is the combined unburnt gases of 2 Hydrogen TO 1 Oxygen.. upon burning it becomes a minute amount of water..
    What people refer to as "brown's gas" is a mixture of two parts hydrogen gas and one part oxygen gas. I hope when you said "combined", you just meant that they were mixed together, because the oxygen and hydrogen molecules are certainly not joined in any way.
    Please click below for info on how you can help the victims of spinal injury, or just spread the word.

You have it in one Troy.. but it is certainly not steam

Hi all
    Now my thinking may be flawed, but..

"Energy in Energy out"
    So why not try to generate hydrogen with "other" energy not the petrol engine? What I was thinking of was an alternator to hydrogen producer running off the drive line. A switch would activate the 30amp load on the (drive line) only on braking or deceleration. This would act as a weak brake, and produce hydrogen fuel with "real" surplus and "new" energy.
    The momentum stored in the slowing car is transferred to heat in the brakes, this system would hijack a some of this energy to generate hydrogen fuel to be burned later.
    Gravity could add to the energy. Think of a car free wheeling down a hill, gravity is helping to speed it up, again this system would hijack a some of this energy to generate hydrogen fuel to be be burned later.
    Whilst I concede the volume of Hydrogen produced will be less than that direct of the engine, but would not the gas produced, be energy of net gain?

Cheers

Hi all
    Now my thinking may be flawed, but..
    "Energy in Energy out"
    So why not try to generate hydrogen with "other" energy not the petrol engine? What I was thinking of was an alternator to hydrogen producer running off the drive line. A switch would activate the 30amp load on the (drive line) only on braking or deceleration. This would act as a weak brake, and produce hydrogen fuel with "real" surplus and "new" energy.
    The momentum stored in the slowing car is transferred to heat in the brakes, this system would hijack a some of this energy to generate hydrogen fuel to be burned later.
    Gravity could add to the energy. Think of a car free wheeling down a hill, gravity is helping to speed it up, again this system would hijack a some of this energy to generate hydrogen fuel to be be burned later.
    Whilst I concede the volume of Hydrogen produced will be less than that direct of the engine, but would not the gas produced, be energy of net gain?

Cheers

David A - I'm not sure if that was an original thought, or if you read it somewhere, but it's inspired!

A setup like what is used in hybrid cars, with electric brakes, could be used to generate hydrogen. It's obviously not enough to run the car, but it could help save some fuel.

Nice one!

Pert - It's still not clear to me exactly what you are trying to say.

Sorry.. was in reply to Troy who said HHO is just steam

Quote Originally Posted by Pert View Post
    Sorry.. was in reply to Troy who said HHO is just steam
    HHO gas, is steam. What you produce from water via electrolysis, is not HHO, it is hydrogen gas, and oxygen gas. HHO is a misnomer.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Jones View Post
    instead of makin hydragen and doing double conversions to the energy why not just use a motor generator and put the power you make into a battery and use the genarator as a motor when you need the extra power.
    a permanant magnet motor will genarate power as well be a motor but good luck finding the space to fit anything like this in the first place and then getting rego and insurance for the car with all this hangin off of it.
    carnt possibly see how this wood be practical or worth it.
    You have just described a hybrid car...to an extent.

Hi All
    I am seriously setting out to follow this line of thought through, I am on the forum to see if the collective can help me solve some of the problems.
    My objective is to supplement my unleaded car engine with Hydrogen gas via the carburettor in an attempt to find a few extra kilometres that were not purchased in Saudi Arabia.
    The plan
    Generate power with a wind generator (or any other “free” energy) fed into a Hydrogen generator (electrolysis) and then store the resulting Hydrogen gas for use in the car.
    Problem STORAGE
    I would hope to fit an alternator to hydrogen producer running off the drive line of my car. A switch would activate the 30amp load on the (drive line) only on braking (switching with brake light relay) or deceleration (pressure switch on accelerator pedal). This would act as a weak brake, and produce hydrogen fuel with "real" surplus and "new" energy.
    Problem STORAGE

Does anyone have any insight into Hydrogen gas storage?