Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2.8l TD rodeo problem - help needed

2.8l TD rodeo problem - help needed

Hi folks

I have been running my 1997 rodeo 2.8l td rodeo on bio for quite a few years now. THis winter it has been hard starting but usually is the case in the cold.

of recent times it has blown a lot of grey/light blue smoke on starting and has been very hard to start. Will fire but die.

on starting in the morning it just just fires but then stops. after a few starting attempts it I can just get it to go but it is as rough as hell and blows an almight amount of grey/light blue smoke like it is unburnt diesel - the smoke last for ages until it is really warm. Once I take off it is sluggish for 5mins then runs like a dream. Starts fine thereafter until it gets cold.

On warmer days it seems to start better but still blows a stack of greyish smoke

I had my fuel injector seal done less than a year ago. I changed all my filters but no improvement.

Anyone have any ideas? My old man thinks the motor is getting too much fuel? Is this possible? Could it be air into the system?

Keen for any help. I tested the glow plugs and they were getting current - but havent inspected the globes yet.

hoping its an easy fix???

FB

Re: 2.8l TD rodeo problem - help needed

Sounds like glow plugs, you need to take them out and connect each one to a battery and make sure that it glows red hot at the end. if it glows in the middle or not at all replace it. Faulty glow plugs can make the glow timer go haywire, so check them first.
    The other thing is maybe is your bio diesel, empty the tank and put some dino diesel in it and see what happens.

FB,

Working glow plugs will certainly assist for start. after start though it sounds like you are suffering from fuel starvation. I had a similar problem in my 1HZ a few years ago.

I bet you are getting heap of air in your system. check all connections. Does your fuel filter have a water trap underneath? if so check the little o-ring that is on the drain tap, as well as the o-ring between the trap and the filter (if there is one) the o-ring between the filter and the housing.

worth while checking the banjo nut/bolt at the fuel pump too.

If that doesnt solve it, go get some clear nylon hose the right internal diameter for your fuel system and install everywhere you can. dont throw your old hose out just yet. Can be bought from your trusty buy-the-world-in-one-trip-hardware store.

prime your system and get her running. any air leaks will be immediately traceable. There is no particular rush to take the nylon hose off, it will last a few months no problems, which will allow you plenty of time to troubleshoot across a variety of conditions.

depending on the age of your fuel lines, it may be worth purchasing some new methanol resistant fuel hose for the long term. do a search for that subject on this forum, it has been discussed at length several times.

let us know how you go.
    Regards,

Cade.

2006 Landcruiser HDJ100 (1HD-FTE) 20,000 on bio
    2006 Ford Courier(WLT Motor), 10,000 on bio
    2002 Landcruiser HZJ105r (1HZ motor) 250,000 on bio (sold)
    2006 Mazda B2500 (WLT motor) 80,000 on bio (sold)

99.99% sure that's a glow plug problem.
    Won't start cold but once hot starts like normal.

First check there is power to the glow plug rail, if there is:-

Rip out the plugs and test them. Chuck the stuffed ones and replace em.

Should fix the problem.

thanks for your suggestions.

I examined the glow plugs and they were all working fine but i replaced 2 anyway. THe problem is still there though.

There is a definite flat spot (missing heaps) when I rev the engine. When this flat spot is hit that is when the grey smoke pours out. It also pours out when idling when first starting up.

I guess the problem isnt just the starting now its also the lack of power and missing. It just seems like on startup it is flooded with heaps of fuel.

Where should I look next? Is it possible an injector has gone and fuel is pouring in? The motor is only 100k old, inj pump has had new seal last year. Dont think air is the problem as the primer pump is rock hard.

The car itself runs okay in general- although i have noticed a very fast tapping noise that gets louder the faster I go. Dont know if I am just being more observant now or it is a new sound.

Hopefully not a major problem?
    Cheers
    FB

FB,

It could still be air. Like I said I had a similar problem, which was air leaking into the fuel line. I had a flat spot too, right at 2500 rpm. below this was fine, and if it could climb above it was fine, but 2500 was the killer. right in the middle of the rev range. It appears that with bio being a little more viscous, it increases the likely hood of air leaks, and at a particular vaccum pressure, will cause more air leaks.

The funny thing is that I need to chase another really tiny leak again which is causing my car to smoke a little on the highway right on 100 km/hr. guess what RPM this equates to in top gear? 2500. at 95 no smoke and at 105 no smoke.

go looking for air leaks.
    Regards,

Cade.

2006 Landcruiser HDJ100 (1HD-FTE) 20,000 on bio
    2006 Ford Courier(WLT Motor), 10,000 on bio
    2002 Landcruiser HZJ105r (1HZ motor) 250,000 on bio (sold)
    2006 Mazda B2500 (WLT motor) 80,000 on bio (sold)

"Where should I look next? Is it possible an injector has gone and fuel is pouring in? The motor is only 100k old, inj pump has had new seal last year. Dont think air is the problem as the primer pump is rock hard. " Quote

I think if you had an injector pouring in or leaking then you may leave your engine open to hydrolock .Get you injector spray pattern checked is the only way to rule injectors out,I believe.
    It sounds like air still,like you have an air lock,try the ol' clear hose next to the injector pump trick and track back from there.

Good Luck
    Pete
    96 Dual Cab Rodeo B100% since Jan 2011

Grey smoke on start is usually unburnt fuel - often the result of bad glow plugs during cold starts. The other necessity for combustion is compression; low compression will not achieve combustion of the injected fuel and will result in grey smoke. If all else fails, check the compression.

Injectors.
    Johnnojack
    4WD Isuzu Jackaroo 3.1 170,000km on WVO,(2017) 2 tank home built system 6 solenoids. Mk. 9 version. Improvements under investigation

http://www.biofuelsforum.com/using_b...y_filters.html

Have a read of this as well. It may help.

But it sounds like air Maybe the IP is allowing fuel to draining back to the tank as the car sits, then as you turn the motor over, it pumps a bit of fuel in, the car starts and the air causes the smoke? five minutes later all the air is purged and it runs good. Mine was doing that for a while and I had to replace the fuel solenoide near the tank. I also worked through every joint and fuel line to get rid of any leaks. Eventually changed my filter type and all is good in my world. I had flat spots too for a while.

I dont think your injectors are stuffed. They dont in my mind produce those symptoms.
    Hope it helps

Chris