Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High acidity of Waste Cooking Oil

Hi all!
    I know that one problem using Waste Cooking Oil as biofuel is the high acidity value. The only way that I know for dacidify the oil is to add NaOH or KOH, that form soap (that you can easily remove by sedimentation and filtration).
    I'd like to know if someone knows other ways for deacidify the oil.

Thanks in advance,
    Leonardo Faggioli

Re: High acidity of Waste Cooking Oil

Any alkaline substance can be used to neutralise the Free Fatty Acids i nthe oil. some work fast, some work slow. All will create a soapy byproduct which will need to be removed.
    Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
    '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
    '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
    '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
    '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
    '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
    '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
    '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
    '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
    '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
    '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
    '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
    '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
    Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Comment

I am not an expert on this, but from my research it seems that most of the acidity in the oil is from water soluble salts and sugars (and other food remnants) which has been deposited in the oil. When you mist wash the oil it will remove these acidic water soluble particles and as a result lower the acidity of the oil.

It is important to properly dry the oil after mist washing as a little bit of water goes a long long way to destroying your injection system.

Comment

I have been experimenting with mixing WVO with glycerin by product to lower the titration number. I have been mixing the wvo and glycerin at a ratio of 4 parts WVO to one part glycerin and so far the results have been promising.
        The last tests I did lowered the titration from 9 to 6 in 24 hours with just a couple of shake up mixes. The oil did come down a little more over the next few days and mixing with a pump and heating may also help things along.

Perhaps a higher ratio of glycerin may work better but I was thinking that the 4:1 ratio was sustainable in I would always have that much glycerin left over from bio making to use on the next batch of oil.

Perhaps those just using SVO could get some glycerin from someone doing bio to lower the titration of their oil but is it at all nessacary to worry about the FFA content of the oil in the first place if you are using it in an SVO system?

Comment

i must admit the acid thing is a concern,but so far ive done about 88K over the last 5 yrs on filtered svo in my 1984 landcruiser.So far so good.the engine has done aprox 490K all up.IP never touched

Comment

Originally posted by david
            I have been experimenting with mixing WVO with glycerin by product to lower the titration number.
            I take it you dont do a 5% prewash?
            Joe Morgan
            Brisbane Biodiesel Site Admin
            http://www.brisbanebiodiesel.com

Searching tips using Google - SVO Dual tank systems
            SVO, Common Rail and Direct Injection - Vehicles converted to Used Cooking Oil

Comment

Hi All
              The glycerine addition to wvo so as to lower ffa's makes good sense, however it does involve an extra step, no big issue really
              Why does it make sense?
              If one thinks about it, the conclusion he will have to come to is this;
              What is in the glycerine from the last batch of biodiesel?
              Ah! Koh, Methanol, as well as a bit of suspended biodiesel and a bit of water or a lot of water
              Why then this mixture of the above, would not lower the ffa content of the oil
              Of course it will, the Koh will neutralise some of the ffas, the methanol will react with some of the oil, turning a bit of it into biodiesel, the water would most likely hinder the whole process, nevertheless the step will make a bit of soap further reducing the ffa's,
              All of the glycerine the soap any water and solids will settle out
              When you drain the "wash" glycerine out you will have a better oil than you started off with
              No doubt some of the fine solids in the waste oil will also be washed out of suspension all in all a good thing, but always with mixed results
              In so far as ratios are concerned I cannot see why "the more the better" approach would not provide a "better" result for any one wishing to take this approach
              It is good to know how, how much better is it when we also know Why
              When we know why and something makes sense It sits better in our head
              Cheers
              Chris
              Never give up :)

Comment

Originally posted by Tony From West Oz View Post
                Any alkaline substance can be used to neutralise the Free Fatty Acids i nthe oil. some work fast, some work slow. All will create a soapy byproduct which will need to be removed.
                Hi Tony,

What substance are you using to treat your oil please?

Thanks

Fitian
                Fitian
                <><

Comment

Originally posted by MB300D81 View Post
                  Hi Tony,

What substance are you using to treat your oil please?

Thanks

Fitian
                  I suspect these guys are posting on the incorrect board as acidity is more of concern to biodieselers who must calculate acidity in order to react the wvo with the correct amount of sodium methoxide to produce biodiesel. I have not come across of any problems experienced by WVO users.

Leonardo, you said you had a problem with the high acidity of your wvo. Can you tell us what problem this has caused if any, or are you worried about a potential problem, such as corrosion of fuel line components and engine etc.?

However, I have posted elsewhere on these forums of my trials with enzymes. (See http://www.biofuelsforum.com/svo_use...g_enzymes.html ) I'm suspecting that my inconsistent results with these trials could be due to acidity which the enzymes are sensitive to. One batch works great, the next doesn't, so this is is the area of my investigation at present.
                  Cheers
                  Bruce

1976 W123 300D (3 litre 5-cyl NA diesel running on SVO since June 2006)
                  1982 W126 280SE (Sadly is For Sale)
                  1993 W124 300D (3 litre 6-cyl NA diesel - being converted to SVO)

Comment

Fitan,
                    I do not treat my Used Cooking Oil as I am not making biodiesel.
                    Tony
                    Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Previous Vehicles:
                    '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
                    '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)

Comment

Originally posted by Tony From West Oz View Post
                      Fitan,
                      I do not treat my Used Cooking Oil as I am not making biodiesel.
                      Tony
                      Okay Tony I thought it is needed to treat the WVO before using it in our case.

Thanks.

Fitian
                      Fitian
                      <><

Comment

Fitian,
                        The only thing I do to my oil is to filter it to 5 micron, straight into the drums I use as veggie fuel tanks. In one of my 300Ds, I pour from these drums into the custom built 70 litre veggie fuel tank.

My oil is stored indoors both of my suppliers, so I do not need to dry the oil.

Note, If you have a source of biodiesel processing byproduct, the addition of 10% of the byproduct, in relativeto the volume of oil, will effectively remove any water, convert some of the FFA into soap and allow most of the solid contaminants to settle out.

The byproduct and oil are stirred together, no need for vigorous agitation, and allowed to settle for 12 hours. The clear oil is decanted off the bottom layer, ready for filtering or processing into biodiesel.

For biodiesel production, this will lower the %FFA in the oil.
                        If performing an acid/base 2 stage reaction, the loss of some of the FFAs will result in a lower vield of biodiesel from the oil collected.

Previous Vehicles:

Comment

Working...
                        X