check valves

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• check valves

Would a 3/4 inch swing check valve be too big on a appleseed type processor or would it suck in too much methoxide at once! in the states they are using 1/2 inch swing check valve a half inch ball valve to control flow
    any help much appreciated.
    sigpic

Re: check valves

I just use a ball valve myself, I don't bother with a check valve. My methoxide container is above my pump so I didn't see the need. I just open the ball valve a tiny bit so it sucks in 20L in around 5 minutes.
    Sean

Comment

Hi
      I think 20 litres in five minutes maybe a little quik i was thinking more along the lines of 20 litres in fifteen minutes anyway i think the check valve is a bit of a safety feature to stop oil running back up the methoxide line which could cause a spill.i was really worried more about being able to easily control flow im not sure if i can do that with a 3/4 inch ball valve
      thanks captain
      sigpic

Comment

Hi Captain caveman, on my appleseed I installed a 1/2" gatevalve on the SUCTION side of the pump so there is no way that oil will go backwards into the methox line unless of course the pump stops. But while the methox is being sucked in I keep an eye on it.
        hope this helps.

Cheers Fantom

Comment

Its ok if you watching the methoxide going in, but could be a problem if you had a power outage or the pump fails and your not around to see it

thank captain
          Captain_caveman
          Last edited by Captain_caveman; 16 October 2006, 10:15 PM.
          sigpic

Comment

Idea number one to stop the oil spilling over into the meth-oxide bottle is a non return valve. Available from plumbing or hydraulic suppliers, the units you need are those that operate on flow not pressure (you are using it in a suction line, before the pump).
            For those of you that want to get a bit trick heres idea number two, install a 1/2" irrigation solenoid in the line between the methoxide container and the pump and power the solenoid using a plug pack that is powered by the same point as the pump. The ball valve on your meth oxide container acts to adjust flow but in the event of power failure, or something going pearshaped and you kill the power to the pump the solenoid will drop out and prevent flow of oil into the meth bottle.

Thats my two cents worth, hope its some help.

Adam

"Revolution never comes with a warning!"
            Rgds

Adam

"Revolution never comes with a warning!"

Comment

Originally posted by Captain_caveman View Post
              safety feature to stop oil running back up the methoxide line which could cause a spill.
              Just found that out the hard way on the weekend!!

Comment

sorry to hear about it
                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                X