mineral oil/paraffin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mineral oil/paraffin

hi. i have recently been adding paraffin oil to my diesel 4runner. i put about 40 ml to a full tank. it is meant to improve fuel economy and i think it will lubricate the fuel a little too. please tell me your opinions on this guys as i have only just discovered this trick.

cheers tim.

Re: mineral oil/paraffin

The lubrication one is easy. Just use Biodiesel it will lubricate your IP very well and without a problem.

Fuel economy I would like to see some real data like that which was tested with the Browns gas generator that is on here as well. Some before and afters doing the same type of travelling. I wouldn't just use it cause someone else said it was good, I would want to test it for myself. If I used it cause someone said it would save me money I would need to tow a trailer to allow the room for all the money saving devices and technologies and additives that are on the market with that type of claim.
    Dave

Comment

My opinion is that you would save far more fuel making sure your tyres were at the correct pressure, making sure you weren't carrying any unessacary weight around with you and your Vehicle was properly tuned than what you will ever save adding 40Ml of Kero to a full tank of whatever fuel. Of course careful and gentle driving habits have the largest impact on fuel economy than anything.

I have heard of people also putting Acetone in their fuel and many claim that works wonders but people I know that have tested it themselves say otherwise. Can't say I have ever heard of adding kero to the fuel other than to winterise it or thin down SVO. I did a test on a browns gas generator the other week and the results were extremely dissapointing. I have written the test up but haven't sorted the pics yet so I'll try to get round to that and post it soon.

I am of the belief that in some industrial circles, kero is actually considered a cutting compound or abrasive. If this is indeed the case, if bio wasn't enough of a lubricant, you would be better off adding 40Ml of 2-stroke oil for all the good it will do.

These fuel saving discussions always bring out people that comment on nothing else and always seem to believe in amazing products and substances and the discussions always add a bit of excitement when things get quiet so perhaps we may be in for some more entertainment?

In the end I think if you want to use a device or add something to your fuel and it makes you feel good because you believe you are saving money, go ahead, enjoy yourself and be happy. I mean this in the nicest sincerest way. People will tell you these things are rubbish and others will swear by them. In the end it's up to you to use your own good sense as to what you want to believe or otherwise.

Kero costs $3? a bottle so it's not like your risking $500 or $1000 on some device if it dosen't work. If adding some kero saves you fuel, terrifffic! If it dosen't work, not like you have lost anythiing significant or it's going to destroy your engine at that ratio.

Your Vehicle, your money, if it feels good, do it!

Comment

to my knowledge kero is a preety poor lubricant, and i thyink? someone is pulling your leg.However i have read that the addition of 1% of biodiesel to a tank of petro/diesel will increas its lubricating power by 65% If you dont know any one making biodiesel , [personal oppinion] i would think you would think be far better of adding 40 ml of black & gold canola oil to each tank

Comment

Mineral oil can apparently mean any one of the following:

Paraffin oil; Heat-treating oil; Hydraulic oil; Cable oil; Lubricating oil; Oil mist, refined mineral; mineral oil mist; oil mist, mineral, severely refined; Uvasol; Paraffin oils; Mineral oil hydrocarbon solvent (petroleum); Mineral oil (saturated parrafin oil); oil, petroleum; Nujol; liquid paraffin; white mineral oil; clearteck; drakeol; hevyteck; filtrawhite; frigol; kremol; kaydol; alboline; paroleine; Saxol; adepsine oil; glymol; lignite oil; blandol white mineral oil; carnea 21; Ervol; gloria; hydrocarbon oils; peneteck; primol; triona b; blandlube; crystosol; Molol; protopet; bayol f; crystol 325; fonoline; bayol 55; kondremul; neo-cultol; oil mist; penreco; perfecta; petrogalar; primol 355; primol d; tech pet f; Petroleum hydrocarbons; jute batching oil; paraffin oil (class); petrolatum, liquid; white oil; Mineral oil, aromatic; Mineral oil, paraffinic; Mineral Seal Oil; Electrical Insulating Oil; OIL MIST, MINERAL

Please be more specific

Comment

Working...
          X