Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vw 2.0 Tdi Driver With Car Issues

Hello everyone

I have been reading your forum and thought i might post. My reason for reading your forum is because i have a 2.0 vw golf tdi, with dsg. I have been having trouble with it of late and it is at the dealership being looked into at the moment, has been for a week now.

On wednesday the service manager rang and said they are replacing the fuel filter and they had a question for me. it was 'have you ever used biodiesel'. I havent, as im pretty sure it says in the manual not to, and im not even sure where it is available here. I only use BP diesel.

My car is having major cold running issues such as jerking and sort of 'misfireing'. it does some strange pop or something like it h olds its breath, just as though nothing is there, then it jerks back into life and goes again. it has plenty of power etc, but some strange issues. at speeds of about 50 k when you are using a light throttle, it is constantly hunting.

I hope they can fix it, or it will be up for sale shortly. Im rather scared. It was a strange quesition i thought, and just thought it might be of interest to your forum.

Re: Vw 2.0 Tdi Driver With Car Issues

It seems Biodiesel get's a bad rap from a lot of uneducated people in the auto industry but it is true there is bad Bio out there being sold to the unsuspecting public.

It seems there is little that can be done to stop the sale of bad bio but I have thought that an educational page could be set up here so that mechanics and other industry people could be refered to it so they can be educated as to what bio ( and Bad Bio) is and the issues it can and cannot create in a vehicle.

A lot of Mechanics seem to have a poor view of Bio it appears through ignorance so for those of us here that find such people, having a page to refer these people to could go a long way to changing the negative attitudes that exist in the auto industry.

If said web page(s) were also created in something like a printable PDF format, the info could also be printed out and given to the uneducated or interested population to give them the lowdown on bio and reduce the ignorance that surrounds its use.

In your case Ekko it could be that the service manager is ignorant and just thinks bio is bad news fullstop or he could be a little wiser and just know that there is bad bio going around atm. You should be aware ekko that Bio is very often not labeled at the pump so you may have gone to a station other than your normal one and filled up on bad bio without knowing it.

As I have suggested before, with the amount of bad fuel going round atm, I would be keeping a log and recipts of all the fuel I bought so any problems could be traced.

Maybe a " Fuel Report" section of the forums could be started so people can post locations of outlets they regularly use that have proved reliable as well as places selling fuel that has proved suspect.

Comment

A couple of years ago I had a similar problem with my Nissan and it turned out to be bad fossil diesel. I had been buying exclusively from discount outlets in the Kogarah area at very good prices. After I had the tank drained and flushed, and the filters replaced, the problem went away. I've never bought fossil diesel from a discount service station since.
      George

Comment

Bio is probably not the problem whilst simply bad fuel could be.

BP are committed to using a 5% biofuel blend to offset the problems they have with Ultra Low Sulphur. BP Global - Press - BP Brings Biofuels into the Mainstream Whether hydrogenated fats qualifies as biodiesel is also debatable. It is not biodiesel as we currently know it. ULS is not labelled at the pump nor do the Indian gas station attendants normally have any details of what thay are selling apart from "diesel fuel".

This goes for all suppliers and is not limited to BP, VP or other independants.
        Several other major suppliers are also adding biodiesel to offset ULS. I am not sure at exactly what stage BP or the other suppliers are at in their introduction of ULS or B5.

This board has quite alot of discussion on engine problems, warranties and responsibility for bad fuel. Bad diesel and funny diesel are not recent phenomena but have been around for years. Many years ago I was told to carry a spare set of filters, + tools and know how to fit them.

Comment

I hope to have it fixed soon. I heard nothing once again today, this is day 8. Im thinking about seling the car, which will cause me financial pain and break my heart. It took me a year to decide to buy a new car and then a diesel golf, and they were assuring me over and over that i should buy the diesel because of longevity and such. Im really worried, after all when out of waranty how much would this repair be costing me?

The newer golfs have a sticker inside the cap that says do not use biodiesel.
          ekko
          Biofuels Forum Newbie
          Last edited by ekko; 13 November 2006, 07:57 PM.

Comment

Ekko, I think you may perhaps be a little unwise to the ways of dealerships.
            You have to understand that the facade they put on about caring for the customer and all the singing and dancing BS is just that and reality is a different thing.

I can only say if the thing was mine and had been in there for 8 Days, they had better rebuilt the entire engine by now or I would be going Ballistic. My friend had troubles with his HSV a couple of years ago and they did rebuild the engine and the gearbox in 6 working days and gave him a drive car while the work was being done.
            Don't wait for them to contact you, get onto them and ask what is going on and hit them up for a date when it will be ready. Most dealerships are busy places because they barely put enough staff on to cope let alone have anyone just cruising round in case any priority jobs come along.

If they do get busy working on the bank managers wifes car and they haven't heard from you, your car will just keep getting shuffeled down the line as a low priority job. I have worked for dealerships, I speak with inside knowledge and experience. The squeaky wheel not only gets the oil but the best mechanics to go all over the thing in double quick time. The rest just get parked out the back till there is nothing else to do which never happens.

The thing may need no more than a cleaning of the tank and a new set of filters so don't get ahead of yourself and think about selling the thing when there is likely not a thing wrong with it that the change of some consumable spare parts won't fix good as new. Maybe the IP is stuffed and they are waiting on a new one.... at the end of the day the car will be as good as new and there is no need for concern about anything other than where you get your fuel.

My suggestion would be to get on to them first thing in the morning and start making some noise and getting some answers as to what is actually going on and when you will get it back.

Comment

Originally posted by ekko View Post
              The newer golfs have a sticker inside the cap that says do not use biodiesel.
              Ekko,
              I don't expect you have a bad car, but a dealer who hasn't put the resources into solving your problem.
              If a VW TDI has "Nicht fur biodiesel" or the english equivalent on the inside of the fuel fller door, it simply means that there is a "DPF" diesel particle filter in the exhaust and biodiesel "may" react incorrectly with the catalyst in the DPF. This is nothing to do with the engine. VW PD engines are fine with biodiesel -and that's not your issue anyway.
              BP diesel is recommended by VW and you should have no problems about warrranty. By the way, you can extend VW warranty as long as you like if you get back to liking your car and don't want to worry about expensive repairs.
              Now, as the others have said - start harrassing your service dept. hopefully you have just got some dirty fuel and a clean-out will fix it.
              If you want honest expert advice on your particular car, try Audi, VW water cooled forum, Australia. Golf, Passat, Bora, vans. A3, A4, A6, TT. . Those guys will probably know straight away
              ..Neil

VW Touareg R5 TDI

Comment

Thanks guys you have made me feel a bit better. I do love that car, thats the worst part, but im so afraid about it being expensive to repair later.

Im sure they are doing what they can to fix it, they seem nice enough. But i guess im getting a bit unsettled after 9 days. PUblic transport isnt fun at all. Some ppl smell like hot sick. I want my car back, all working and going well.

Ill keep you posted and thanks again.

Comment

As Neil said, be the 'squeaky wheel that gets the oil', do not sit and wait, that will only prolong your agony.
                  DO NOT ACCEPT ANY HINT OF BLAME FOR THE PROBLEMS, they will try to get you to, but resist, otherwise they will screw you to the wall and try to charge you for hte repairs.

Tony
                  Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
                  '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
                  '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
                  '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
                  '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
                  '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
                  '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
                  '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
                  '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
                  '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
                  '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
                  '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
                  '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
                  Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Comment

I got my car back they have blocked off the EGR system and are getting me to trial it. the fuel filter was replaced but they tested my fuel and it was clean and clear. the car seems a lot better but i havent driven it far yet due to working but will let you know.

Comment

It took like 12? Days to do this and then they have done a patchwork job on it by blocking off the EGR system??

I'm assuming this car is under warranty so why are they doing something that could itself void the warranty and circumvent a system that would render the vehicle illegal ( to the letter of the law) to drive?

All I can say you are certainly a lot more patient and understanding than I am because if they had my car 12 days and then gave it back to me dodgied up, I would have gone nuts.

Did they give any explaination as to why they are circumventing the emmissions system and what they are going to do about the car in the long term?

Comment

The EGR system was replaced due to the egr module making a funny noise. My car is still exactly the same and yes they had it 12 days. They wanted to know by blocking off the egr if it was the egr at fault maybe faulty new parts, or something else. its something else as it still does the same thing. i think they are looking at replacing the gearbox ecu now they replaced the ecu and fuel filter to no avail. i know im tired of it. i rang vw and they said that cars arent made to last! but they would fix this one inside warranty. i did ask yes but when, but they are very good at shuffling your questions around.

Comment

"i rang vw and they said that cars arent made to last!" - what a classic comment, I wonder if they will incorporate that line into their advertising campaign.

Comment

Certainly a classic line there Terry but I guess in the back of our minds, we all know things really aren't built to last these days.

That said, I'd certainly like to think that a car was built well enough to at least last through the warranty period!!!

Comment

we would hope it was meant to last at least 5 years, and that they can actually fix it inside its warranty period. if they cant, i will take it to the motoring industry heads etc.

Comment

Working...
                              X