clean coal,,,but i like oxygen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• clean coal,,,but i like oxygen

clean coal is gaining support rapidly,where co2 is removed from the smoke stack and burryed underground.Sounds great, but for every carbon atom ther are TWO oxygen atoms locked away for amillion years HELLO

Re: clean coal,,,but i like oxygen

Seems alot easier to do away with need for the reaction in the first place.
    Reduce usage and substitute alternatives where possible.

But then we are the ones buying those $700 Fujitsu airconditioners that consume 3.5HP as oppoased to a much cheaper evaporative model that uses a tenth of the power.
    or
    a top load washing machine that uses much more hot water than a front loader.

etc

Comment

Burying the carbon also has some other consequences that noone has really put much thought into. By burying it all we are effectively doing is taking the problem out of the sky and putting it into the ground. Sounds good in theory but its not really the solution. The solution is as you have stated, reduce usage and supply demand from cleaner sources. Carbon trading is touted as a solution but it really doesnt solve anything apart from making the company that manages the trading a fairly substantial amount of money. Reduce, re-use, recycle, and convince our government that it is worthwhile investing in 'Green Energy' infrastructure.

Global warming is real and it is happening. Last week was a great example, Bushfires in NSW, Snow in Vic and Tas, and big chunks of Antarctica floating around off the coast of NZ. The time to do something about it was yesterday, we will now continually be playing catchup.

Regards
      Adam

"Revolution never comes with a warning!"
      zigparacingtadpole
      Last edited by zigparacingtadpole; 20 November 2006, 10:54 AM.
      Rgds

Adam

Comment

I was just wondering if anyone had thought of another problem with pumping all that gas underground.

Baloons pop when you over inflate them !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
        Slippery
        Small steps taken one at a time.

Comment

It will leak out. the earth is not a sealed container. Especially since we have been drill ing holes to get oil out.

Any seismic activity could cause a fissure through which the CO2 could leak out unnoiticed. Then suddenly, we have a MORE rapid increase in CO2, the biosphere will shutdown.
          . Goodbye.
          Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
          '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
          '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
          '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
          '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
          '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
          '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
          '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
          '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
          '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
          '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
          '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
          '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
          Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Comment

Some thoughts..

Energy saving: If my calculations are correct, the average electricity consumption in Australian households is 2780 kWh per person per year. Anything less than that and you're on the right track.

Green electricity: Available from most power companies. Much cheaper than installing your own solar panels or wind turbines.

Carbon trading: If implemented correctly, it not only provides additional carbon sinks but also a pricing mechanism that encourages better fuel choices and energy saving. In economic terms: previously externalised costs are internalised.

CO2 sequestration: Interesting development work is being done on feeding CO2 from power stations to algae ponds. Subsequently, oil is extracted from the algae.

Comment

How much energy does it take to clean the coal up, or convert it to diesel or gasoline?
              How geologically stable are the areas that the carbon dioxide is being pumped into. They've been pretty stable for a long time, but that doesn't mean that the formations will be stable in the future.

pip pip

Comment

I always wondered why not remove the two oxigen atoms and turn CO2 into plain carbon. How much energy would that need?
                I agree that burying it is clearly not a solution by any stretch of the imgination.

Comment

I always wondered why not remove the two oxigen atoms and turn CO2 into plain carbon. How much energy would that need?
                  Just sunlight, and the equipment needed is called a tree.

Comment

Yup, chlorophyll is a pretty good catalyst! Carbon dioxide is so persisitant because it is so stable. It takes a lot of energy to break it up...

Comment

<<[quote=Tony From West Oz;9285]It will leak out. the earth is not a sealed container. Especially since we have been drill ing holes to get oil out.

Any seismic activity could cause a fissure through which the CO2 could leak out unnoiticed. Then suddenly, we have a MORE rapid increase in CO2, the biosphere will shutdown.>>

So then why pump the stuff underground if it will just escape again.

My earlier post was a little facetious, but, when you think about this, if an earthquake causes a fracture in the crust, resulting in a mass leakage of CO2, thousands, maybe even millions of people could be gassed.

Imagine an earthquake and CO2 escape in say Kobe or San Fran .

Not as far fetched as we might imagine.

Slippery
                      Small steps taken one at atime.
                      Slippery
                      Small steps taken one at a time.

Comment

the prob is not CO2 escaping the prob is reacting ALL the O2 to begin with. Sure you can capture all the CO2 and store it but whats the piont if we are left with NO OXYGEN left to breath

Comment

If we grow a tree to capture the carbon, then the problem is how to put the tree underground? Perhaps we could grow trees, use them for paper then burry the paper underground, storing the carbon in the ground with it?

Did I just make a logical argument for not recycling paper, but to put it into landfill?

Mind you anything makes more sense than burrying gas. There is the point of no O2 left, but even if we only do it a bit, then you still have the scenario Tony has illustrated. The earth is not gastight its not even watertight!
                          Maybe little Johhny H is going senile.....
                          Captain Echidna
                          Last edited by Captain Echidna; 1 February 2007, 11:03 PM.
                          cheers<BR>Chris.<BR>1990 landcruiser 80, 1HD-T two tank, copper pipe HE+ 20 plate FPHE, toyota solenoids and filters. 1978 300D, elsbett one tank system.<BR>

Comment

When they build that elevator to the moon, why not use a hollow core cable and pump it up there?
                            George

Comment

There is a veritable goldmine of information about carbon sequestration available on the www.
                              The link below is a good starting place.

Carbon dioxide sink - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

One of the great things about this forum is that it encourages me to think and research. I think it was one of this forums members (possibly Sauman) who said "the more I learn, the more there is to learn".

As I posted previously, I personally dont believe that carbon sequestration is the way forward, at least not in the long term. In the short term it may assist in slowing the rate of temperature rise until a better solution is found.
                              zigparacingtadpole
                              Last edited by zigparacingtadpole; 2 February 2007, 09:19 AM. Reason: Fix typo
                              Rgds

Adam

Comment

Working...
                              X