Cav filter questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cav filter questions

I'm wanting to buy a cav filter for my conversion and I'm hoping someone can fill me in on some questions I still have.

I'm wanting to wrap the coolant hose around the filter for added heat. There should be no problem with this I hope, the clear bowl is glass isn't it?

I've heard about the cav filters with a priming button on top but I haven't been able to find one on the net. Where can I get one? If it doesn't have the priming button, how do you prime the VO line?

I found this cav filter advertised as a "DIESEL FUEL FILTER SYSTEM,NEW,CAV TYPE, FUEL WATER SEPARATOR" on ebay.

eBay Australia: DIESEL FUEL FILTER SYSTEM,NEW,CAV TYPE, FUEL WATER SEPA (item 130047904308, end time 24-Nov-06 21:52:33 AEDST)

It looks as thought it is a slightly larger filter and I was wondering what the difference is between this and the standard small clear bowl type.

Thanks for your help!

Re: Cav filter questions

Hello Urvey,

I bought my CAV from this seller of Item number: 150025930070.

He has the normal size. I needed to place the filter where I can reach under the glass bowl to release any crap in it also to be able to place a plastic container under the bowl while I am chnanging the element. I saw the long one but I did not like it too. I think it is not hard to fine the filter with a pump on top but you more likely to find it under a different name other than CAV maybe.

When I change the element I make sure the seals are fitted even around the bowl - do not over tighten the bowl or it will crack. I undo the top bolt - Do not lose the washer - then place a little funel where the bolt goes and fill the filter with vegy oil. I bought half a meter of clear water hose with inner diameter to fit on top of the bolt housing and give it a good suck to get all the air out. You can use a black coolant hose but you may end up with vegy oil in your mouth since you can not see through it. Yucky but okay with vegy oil. It is Safer to use a clear hose if you are testing your system with biodiesel.

I am not sure what car you are converting and what set up you are going to use. So I am going by what I learnt from Tony and Bruce while converting my 300D.

Happy to help

Good luck

Fitian
    Fitian
    Was here
    Last edited by Fitian; 21 November 2006, 01:48 AM.
    Fitian
    <><

Comment

Hi Urvey,

I am using the same filter you have shown here & it works fine, same filter cartridge as the what everyone else seems to be using, but just a larger glass bowl. I have fitted a custom made heating plate between the filter cartridge & bowl to make sure the oil stays nice and hot.
      Priming isn't a issue for me as my fuel pump is located before the filter.

Cheers.
      MQ Patrol - WVO since 2005

Comment

I got a CAV assembly with built in primmer from BJ diesels in Dandenong.
        They are now part of MTQ. The web site is -
        MTQ Engine Systems(Aust)Pty Ltd - Locations

The assembly was about $120 - not as cheap as the normal type but solves the primer problem.

You can also get metal bottoms for these filters as fitted to MF135 tractors. Some other alternatives are as fiollows- MF - Air / Fuel Filters
        Last edited by smokey2; 21 November 2006, 07:32 AM.

Comment

I've got one of these which I now only use for diesel. It didn't flow enough for my 3.0 litre hiace. I worked out that it would flow enough for diesel which is about a 3 viscocity but not for vege, even at 65c.
          So after a long and frustrating battle with power loss I finally converted to a 1 micron filter at tank entry. No "on demand" filter. That solved the problem. I should point out that with a restrictive "on demand" filter, it gives more scope for air leaks into the sysem, which is an absolute menace if it's looped.
          I suppose my rotary pump type may not be as tolerant as others.

Comment

Originally posted by tbird650 View Post
            I've got one of these which I now only use for diesel. It didn't flow enough for my 3.0 litre hiace. I worked out that it would flow enough for diesel which is about a 3 viscocity but not for vege, even at 65c.
            So after a long and frustrating battle with power loss I finally converted to a 1 micron filter at tank entry. No "on demand" filter. That solved the problem. I should point out that with a restrictive "on demand" filter, it gives more scope for air leaks into the sysem, which is an absolute menace if it's looped.
            I suppose my rotary pump type may not be as tolerant as others.

Hi tbird650,

what is your conversion setup on your hiace? I have a friend that I'd like to help converting his car. Do you think you can help please?

Cheers,

Fitian
            Fitian
            <><

Comment

Tbird,

I'm a bit confused by "filter at tank entry" and "on demand" filter, can you explain this further?

I also have a rotary IP and no lift pump on diesel. I've nearly finished planning my design so any ideas would be greatly useful.

Thanks for your help everyone!

Comment

The hiace has a transparent plastic tank which has a 1micron filter at the filler point......there is no other filter between tank and injector pump. This setup came about because of the restrictive nature of my CAV296 paper based filter element. .....It would flow enough diesel to run at full power...... vege being a bit thicker in viscocity was more of a challenge for it......and as soon as it became "compromised" by fats or whatever, it became even more restictive with still more power loss.
                I wouldn't try my setup with an existing steel type tank because you'd never know what kind of crud would be lurking in there.
                A conventional setup uses an inline filter element which must flow enough fuel to the injector pump or a situation of starvation will result.
                The more you put your foot on the accelarator the more fuel must be drawn in....."on demand".
                My setup completely does away with this "on demand filter". Basically I figure whatever can get through the 1micron filter is "welcome" to proceed to the I.P.

Urvey: mines a rotary I.P. too.....it has its' lift pump internally. It's a rotary vane type. They don't like starvation, in fact they become a bit noisy probably due to cavitation. When they are starved, vacuum leaks are even more of a problem.

MB300D81: happy to help... My setup uses 5metre hose-in-hose with 10mm diameter tube for fuel line. I have G.P. heater with a 100c thermostat. Actually it burnt out the G.P. this week so I'm running slightly more thinned down mix till I decide what to do. Thats the second G.P. in a short time thats burnt out. The fuel gets injected up to 65c with only the h-i-h heater. That's using a thermocouple to measure the temp on number 1 injector pipe. I loop the return when on vege.
                Hope this helps....let me know what else you need.

Comment

T'Bird,
                  Try using a 24V GP. They will still heat the oil up, but will not get as hot as the 12V or 8V ones. Ask for a GP for a 24V diesel - Nissan Patrols were 24V IIRC.
                  Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
                  '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
                  '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
                  '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
                  '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
                  '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
                  '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
                  '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
                  '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
                  '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
                  '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
                  '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
                  '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
                  Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Comment

Speaking of CAV filter ... When undoing the bottom screw it releases some oil together with any crap in the glass bowl. Does this allow air in the system?

Regards,

Fitian
                    Fitian
                    <><

Comment

Yes, Unless the filter is mounted lower than the oil level in your veggie oil fuel tank.
                      Otherwise you will need to bleed after draining.

Tony
                      Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Previous Vehicles:
                      '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
                      '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)

Comment

Originally posted by Tony From West Oz View Post
                        Yes, Unless the filter is mounted lower than the oil level in your veggie oil fuel tank.
                        Otherwise you will need to bleed after draining.

Tony
                        Tony,

Do you drain your CAV filter completely or you just let a reasonable amount of oil out? When can you really tell that the element is due to be replaced please?

Thanks.

Fitian
                        Fitian
                        <><

Comment

Fitian,
                          I only drain the flter when I wish to change the element. Normally this would be determined by the fuel pressure under acceleration dropping below 10"Hg Vacuum.

I have never found any sediment in the CAV bowl. I believe that this is because I pre-filter all of my oil cold, prior to refuelling the 2 tank conversion.

Tony

Previous Vehicles:

Comment

Originally posted by Tony From West Oz View Post
                            Fitian,
                            I only drain the flter when I wish to change the element. Normally this would be determined by the fuel pressure under acceleration dropping below 10"Hg Vacuum.

I have never found any sediment in the CAV bowl. I believe that this is because I pre-filter all of my oil cold, prior to refuelling the 2 tank conversion.

Tony
                            Thanks Tony,

This means I am on the right track then.

Regards,

Fitian
                            Fitian
                            <><

Comment

I have another Cav related question.

I'm presently working out where to put a temperature sensor in my conversion design. Someone recently suggested that I put my temperature sensor in the head of my filter, as it is the last component before my valve. Can this be done with a cav? I don't really understand the concept.

Cheers

Bryan

Comment

Working...
                              X