Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Restarting Injection Line heater thread

Hi All,

I'd like to reopen the discussion on using injection line heaters, but focused on how it's done by the do-it-yourselfer, rather than focused on whether it's a good idea or not.

I like the idea, and I'd like to do it myself because it seems fairly simple. So for any of you electrically savvy types out there who may have done it, how does one calculate the required length of nichrome wire to reach a target temperature? Calculating the resistance and amperage of a length of wire seems fairly easy, but how do these figures translate into max temperature of the wire?

Any other details concerning how you you wired your heaters and the materials you used would be much appreciated as well.

thanks,
    Randall in bloody depressing Oregon, USA winter

Re: Restarting Injection Line heater thread

Hi Randall,

in one of my earlier prototypes we were able to calculate how long the wire needed to be to reach a desired maximum temperature (with help from a university electronics lecturer). The problem was that it took a long time to reach this maximum.

The Fattywagons line heaters were not long enough, and as a result I measured temperatures in excess of 180 deg C on their product.

This is why our heating elements are thermostatically controlled, allowing a fast heat up time but only to a chosen maximum temperature.

Regards
    Marcus

Multifuel Diesel Vehicle Conversions
    Powered by Waste Vegetable Oils
    3 Waratah Avenue
    Belgrave Vic 3160

Comment

The wire used in fattywagans heaters was 316 stainless steel 30 inches long, 76.20 centimeters long. .031 inches dia for 80 watt heaters, .035 inches dia for 100 watt heaters.
      he provided this info on another forumm after he stopped making them.
      hope this helps
      later mark

Comment

Hello, Im in Hawaii where the temp never falls below 60F (15C). Im planning to get a old Mercedes 300 and outfitting it with injector heaters and a fuel filter heater. Im eager to learn but am still learning about the process so talk slow and simple from time to time. So far I have found this info:

The nichrome wire used in fattywagans heaters was 316 stainless steel 30 inches long, 76.20 centimeters long. .031 inches dia for 80 watt heaters, .035 inches dia for 100 watt heaters.

1. I want it to function at 200F (93C) which seems to be a good temperature. What would I do to make it stay at 200F instead of going up to 2000F (1093C) Fuse, Temp Regulator, Thermistor?

BUT...
        Quote: "the acrevo study does recommend 302F (150C) for canola oil for it to atomize similar to petro"

2. Ive seen kits that were already insulated with some sort of wrap. What is that?

3. What about injector lines cracking?
        (at 150deg C, the issue I have is that the existing fuel lines are not manufactured for such extremes and, such rapid heating (and cooling) could lead (and has with some) to the fuel lines cracking.)

4. What about a second battery for the heaters?
        How would I wire that up? Especially if I do some minor audio improvements as well.

Comment

see the "Anyone using injector line heaters" thread

Multifuel Diesel Vehicle Conversions