Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Untreated veggie oil

Hi

I have been told that I can add untreated veggie oil to my tank with regular diesel, so long as I don't exceed 30%.

Is this right?
    I have a 2003 Mercedes C200D and a 2002 Landcruiser.

Thanks for your advice,in advance.

Terry

Re: Untreated veggie oil

Short answers. yes, at least for the short therm. Now for the fine print.
    Diesel engines like thin oil, not thick like vegetable oil. Adding some vegetable oil will make it thicker, and vegetable oil changes its thickness (or viscosity) with temperature, so on a cold day the ammont of vegetable oil you can put in will be less. Doing this is not making biodiesel, but blending the fuels. It may coke up the engine, especially when starting, so also depends on the length of trip you do.
    There are a few other ways. One is to chemically change the oil to make it thinner (biodiesel) another way is heat the oil to make it thinner (on this forum called SVO for straight vegetable oil) or change the engine to accept vegetable oil as is (elsbett are one of the few companies that do this, they are expensive, and they dont do a one tank kit for all engines)

And the untreated oil had better be filtered carefully to remove bits of chips, etc!
    cheers<BR>Chris.<BR>1990 landcruiser 80, 1HD-T two tank, copper pipe HE+ 20 plate FPHE, toyota solenoids and filters. 1978 300D, elsbett one tank system.<BR>

Comment

Re: Untreated veggie oil

Thanks Chris I'll try it

Comment

Working...
      X