silly thought. 100 ltrs of fuel or 100ltrs of food

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• silly thought. 100 ltrs of fuel or 100ltrs of food

now if was way out in the australian outback {enjoy enjoy} suddenly i break down a hundred miles from the nearest {track} radios gone on the blink etc etc ive got plenty of water but we are all but out of food {looks grim} But wait a minute ive got half a tank of SVO Not my choice of a diet thats for sure but i recon that it would keep you alive for months, WHY WONT ANYONE COME CAMPING WITH ME

Re: silly thought. 100 ltrs of fuel or 100ltrs of food

Hmmm I guess you could, although your diet wll lack some fibre.

My thoughts would be remove the fuel tank from the vehicle, open the top of it, light a fire under it and start deep frying anything that doesnt complain too much (grass, bushes, feral cat, spare passangers, etc) Do this on a frday night, and you should attract the passing attention of anyone who has had a few beers (likey to be many in the outback) and driving to the nearsest civilisation for a late night fatty nibble. Ensure you have enough feral cat to go around, as they will be a bit drunk and hungry, but after they are feeling full are likey to let you ride in the back of the ute for the $15.40 you just charged them for the "fast fried feline"
    cheers<BR>Chris.<BR>1990 landcruiser 80, 1HD-T two tank, copper pipe HE+ 20 plate FPHE, toyota solenoids and filters. 1978 300D, elsbett one tank system.<BR>

Comment

I think the Fried feral cat is probably a good option.

I'm not sure if you could drink enough oil on its own to get enough nutrient out of it before you threw it all up again or it gave you a case of Dihorrea that incapacitated you and did more harm than good.

They say oil is a food but I have never heard of anyone drinking a glass of oil or sitting down to a bowl of it.

Comment

I have friends that have undertaken expeditions in both the Arctic and Antarctica, and the diets for both expeditions consisted of such delicacies as diced metwurst in porridge covered in warm vegetable oil, and cheese and crackers with a dribble of veg oil. Both the guys I know that have undertaken such expeditions, have said that it tastes pretty ordinary when you first start out, but you do get used to it as it beats the alternative of death due to exposure because of lack of body fat.
        My recommendation would not be to eat or drink the veg oil in the outback as human body requirements and performance are very different in +40 to what they are at -40.
        My suggestion would be to pour the veg oil onto the ground, writing the words "HELP! NEED BEER!" and light it up when the rescue plane flys over.

On that rather stomach churning note, Im off to get lunch.

Adam

"Revolution Never comes with a warning!"
        Rgds

Adam

"Revolution never comes with a warning!"

Comment

Originally posted by dagwill View Post
          now if was way out in the australian outback {enjoy enjoy} suddenly i break down a hundred miles from the nearest {track} radios gone on the blink etc etc ive got plenty of water but we are all but out of food {looks grim} But wait a minute ive got half a tank of SVO Not my choice of a diet thats for sure but i recon that it would keep you alive for months, WHY WONT ANYONE COME CAMPING WITH ME
          Anyone who goes camping with more WVO than beer deserves to go alone!
          MQ Patrol - WVO since 2005

Comment

"Anyone who goes camping anywhere other than in a motel that doesn't have cable deserves everything he gets."- Geoff Waterhouse

When I first saw the title "100 ltrs of fuel or 100 litrs of food," I thought the idea was whether we should be growing crops like corn,sunflower ets for fuel instead of food. I have read some interesting stuff on the subject and am placing below the article that made me think that "100 ltrs of fuel or 100 litrs of food" might have been serious. The paragraph in red below is taken from the article below the red bit. See what I mean?
            We could get off WVO etc and into a deep meaningful discussion, if we are not careful.

Another thing, I find it interesting how a number of different threads have a bearing on each other, pity there isn't a way of coordinating them and save having to read them all individually
            Regards to all
            Geoff
            P.S. Comments on the article are welcomed either here or by private messages. I would personally prefer here, we all might learn something about each other

Three: Fuel or Food
            Anything that grows on a farm can be turned into fuel. Turning soybean oil into diesel and corn into ethanol are the big stories in the media right now, but any farm product will work. Farms are even good places for wind turbines.
            As the price of energy rises, our mouths will compete with our cars for agricultural produce. Prices will
            A Huge Reversal in Crop Fortunes
            by Tom Dyson
            October 12, 2006
            Imagine what would happen to this country if Citigroup failed tomorrow. Well, that’s how bad it was in the Panic of ’57.
            In 1857, the Ohio Life Insurance and Trust Company imploded. It triggered a waterfall on Wall Street. Stocks dropped 50%, and more than half of Wall Street brokers went into liquidation.
            A two-year depression followed. They called it the Western Blizzard. The trigger that started it all? Crops were terrible that year.
            Ohio Life and Trust had made huge investments in agriculture businesses. When the crop went bad, it blew up.
            Up until about 50 years ago, crops were a big deal. If crops were good, America was rich, stocks went up, and people felt good. But if crops were bad, you’d get bank failures, credit crunches, and long lines outside soup kitchens.
            It’s different these days. No one is interested in wheat and corn as investments. For one thing, there’s plenty of food for everyone. Huge improvements in farming techniques mean much higher crop yields, so in the United States at least, there’s never any danger of food shortages.
            Also, agriculture has been in a long bear market, so the public has lost interest in betting on crop prices. I looked at 100-year charts of corn, wheat, oats, soybeans, cattle, and hogs. I found stagnant prices across the board. They’ve gone nowhere in 20 years.

If you look at prices adjusted for inflation, prices have always fallen. But 20 years ago, prices started accelerating downward so fast, now the charts look like upside-down hockey sticks.
            Here’s the thing: I think we are about to see a huge reversal in crop fortunes. If I’m right, corn and wheat prices will shoot through the roof. Hog and cattle farmers will become millionaires. Iowa land will go for more money, per square foot, than Florida land.
            Sounds like hyperbole? It’s not. This is already happening.
            • Wheat prices just exceeded 2003 levels and are now making 10-year highs. Prices on Monday hit their maximum allowed increase... a 7% one-day gain.
            • Corn prices are up 50% in 12 months and are closing in on 10-year highs.
            • Oat prices are up 17% in a little more than a month and are also about to hit 10-year highs.
            There are four elements driving this bull market.
            One: Supplies of Sunshine and Rainwater
            This year’s crop looks bad... worse than everyone had expected. You may have read about the horrendous droughts in Australia and Argentina, but did you know the U.S. crop is far worse than even the USDA predicts?

I received this e-mail from an Iowa farmer recently:
            Talked to a very knowledgeable man yesterday with many farm contacts in Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, and Nebraska.
            “In every case, any corn that was harvested whether in test plots or fields, the yields have consistently been below last years’ numbers. Remember, these are the states that the USDA has said will have yields higher than last year. If this is a trend that has legs, corn could be explosive in the next six months.”
            Two: Inflation
            Farming is energy-intensive. Fertilizer and pesticide production is the most energy-intensive of all farm inputs. Plus, you need gas to run tractors and move your produce to market. As the price of inputs rises, so must the price of the final product.
            Three: Fuel or Food
            Anything that grows on a farm can be turned into fuel. Turning soybean oil into diesel and corn into ethanol are the big stories in the media right now, but any farm product will work. Farms are even good places for wind turbines.
            As the price of energy rises, our mouths will compete with our cars for agricultural produce. Prices will rise.
            Four: Water
            Facts from the New Scientist:
            Every teaspoon of sugar in your coffee requires 50 cups of water to grow it. Growing the coffee itself requires 140 liters of water, or 1,120 cups. The 250 grams of cotton needed to make a single T-shirt uses 25 bathtubs of water.
            Crops use about 75% of all water withdrawn from rivers, aquifers, and lakes. One-third of the world’s population is living in water-scarce areas.
            Water and energy are scarce. Demand will increase. Inflation is rising. Result: Crop prices have to rise.
            This bull market is in its infancy. As you’d expect, access to these markets is difficult. Without playing the futures market, there are two simple ways to get exposure to agriculture. Buy the Deutsche Bank commodity ETF (DBC) or buy companies that benefit from richer farmers.
            The Deutsche Bank commodity ETF tracks the prices of six basic commodity futures: light sweet crude (35%), heating oil (20%), aluminum (12.5%), corn (11.25%), wheat (11.25%), and gold (10%). While it’s not a pure play on grain, corn and wheat carry heavy weightings in the ETF.
            As for stocks, I suggest investigating John Deere (farm equipment), Lindsay Manufacturing (irrigation equipment), and Agrium (ag chemicals). An outright purchase of Iowa farmland is the answer for folks looking to keep assets away from Uncle Sam.

Comment

Working...
            X