Biodiesel Information

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Biodiesel Information

I have found some interesting links on Biodiesel use in Germany.

The information is very detailed and in English.

Here are the links;

http://www.agqm-biodiesel.de/downloa...nBioDiesel.pdf

http://www.agqm-biodiesel.de/downloa...els2005_en.pdf

http://www.agqm-biodiesel.de/downloa...l_englisch.pdf

Please let me know if these are of use to you all.

All the best

Andreas

Re: Biodiesel Information

Originally posted by ARKH
    I have found some interesting links on Biodiesel use in Germany.

The information is very detailed and in English.
    Please let me know if these are of use to you all.

All the best

Andreas
    Excellent, Andreas. These pages are well written, offering detailed technical information in a form that will not baffle the layman. If only we had an Industry body like AGQM in Australia to present understandable scientific information to the public, and dispel misinformation.
    Thanks for the links.
    Mazda's Secret Service motto: "Tell 'em nothing, charge 'em double".

Comment

Thanks for sharing this Andreas , I should have clicked on this first , so easy to understand

cheers

Peter

Comment

Not so fast guys. My BS detector went off when I read the first document.

I have only seen one report from Bosch on damage to injector pumps, that was in relation to vegetable oil, not biodiesel. I decided to do a bit more research into this issue and started a thread over on the infopop forum. I further sent an email request to the association for further information. Much of the thread doesn't take the issue very far, but the bottom line is I don't trust this association and I wouldn't be using their publications unless I fully researched them beforehand.

Here is a link to the thread -

http://biodiesel.infopop.cc/groupee/...1/m/6261016731
        Terry Syd
        Last edited by Terry Syd; 28 March 2006, 11:17 AM.

Comment

Terry,

you are right. All of the links that I have put up require some qualification.

The Bosch picture is used over and over again. Some of the german forums discuss this as being caused by badly stored or manufactured biodiesel.

Bosch does not seem to be terribly interested in research on biodiesel (it probably cost money).

There is also a lot of confusion about manufacturers recommendations. Citroen in Germany does not give a clearance for Biodiesel at all, while Peugot clear B30. Now that is strange, given that both use the same engine develeped by PSA and Citroen on their French web site says that they run the entire diesel compnay fleet on B30.

So I have decided to run our C5 on B50 for the last 2 month, travelled nearly 3,000 km and found it a good experience.

Andreas

Comment

Well my Peugeot 307 has a Bosch pump and has now gone 27,000 on B100 so do not hesitate. Yes I know the articles you mention regarding the fuel rates they use but I have also read that they use B100 too and give vague non defined answers when asked if its ok to use in your diesel. I wonder why?
            I use injector cleaner regularly, only because the injectors cost in excess of $1000 each (approx $1500 each), I do not joke. I would think they will be cheaper overseas but I will address that IF it happens.

Anyway the only issue I have had is a carbon buildup in the catalytic conv due to its lifecycle of continuous city stop start, a good hot run down the freeway made CO2 out of that, so now the plants can soak it up for the next batch of bio.
            Biodiesel Bandit

Landcruiser '98 80 series B100.

Comment

Matt,

thanks for the info.

What brand of injector cleaner do you use?

Andreas

Comment

Nulon cleaner, available from SuperCheap Auto, made in Australia I believe too.

Any reasonable cleaner would do, in fact on one previous visit to Supercheap I bought a product that specifically mentioned Peugeot HDI engines and said it had been shown to help clean them (yeh right) and improve this, that and something else. Anyway I put it in and noticed no change but I think the injectors are doing just fine all the same, its the catalytic converter thats having problems. I noticed the tail pipe is quite heavily coated with carbon soot, as goes with its stop start lifecycle, it needs some long hot running to dry all that out and get rid of it. Its starting and running very smoothly / quieter than a mineral diesel fuelled version too, no diesel rattle. (my sister has one)

Matt
                Biodiesel Bandit

Comment

Hello,

Can I ask which particular HDi engine you are running - and what year?

Does it have the particulate filter or not?

Comment

Sure, its an '04 model 307 with the DW10TD 2 litre turbo diesel motor. I do not think it has the FAP / Particulate trap and merely has a catalytic convertor for the NOx breakdown. I have to find out about this. As indicated in the 307 thread I got an "Anti Pollution Fault" on the weekend and I will be following up more on this. Running fine after shutdown and restart.

Nothing fancy really but make sure any biodiesel made is extremely well made and conversion % is high as you do not want unconverted oil or mono/di glycerides going into it.

Yell again if you want to know more,
                    Matt
                    Biodiesel Bandit

Comment

what i find hard to understand concerning these bloody car manufacturers, or more specifically, engine manufacturers...they dont recommend running an engine on the damn product it was originally developed to run on. Lets face it, the first diesel engine ran on penut oil!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X