Free emission testing in Perth, Feb 2007

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Free emission testing in Perth, Feb 2007

Here's an opportunity to see what your biodiesel or WVO/SVO vehicle is putting out into the atmosphere:

InterSector

In addition to random testing, a community education day will take place on Saturday February 24 giving motorists the chance to have their vehicle’s emission level tested. The community day will offer free emission checks, free vehicle ‘health-checks’ by qualified mechanics and free information kits containing vehicle test results, mechanic’s report, and advice on how to improve the performance of your vehicle. The community monitoring will take place at May Circle, Kings Park between 10am and 4pm.The roadside testing will be conducted at the following locations and times.
    · Wednesday February 21: Harborne Street, Wembley (10 am to 5pm)
    · Thursday February 22: Oates Street, Carlisle (7am to 2pm)
    · Friday February 23: Marine Parade, Cottesloe (12pm to 7pm)
    · Monday February 26: Prindiville Drive, Wangara (7am to 2pm)
    · Tuesday February 27: West Coast Drive, Sorrento (7am to 2pm).

It would be great to compare emmision values between similar vehicles using different fuels. I will be taking my Hilux through (still on dino-diesel) and will post the results back here.

Anyone using a two-tank setup, it would be great to go through twice, once on diesel, then again on SVO or whatever.
    1990 LN106 Hilux - Currently planning 2-tank system

Re: Free emission testing in Perth, Feb 2007

Objet,
    I have passed this information on to WARFA members. Thanks for the link, I hope that they have facilities for testing diesel engine exhausts as well as petrol engine exhausts.

Regards,
    Tony
    Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
    '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
    '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
    '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
    '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
    '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
    '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
    '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
    '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
    '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
    '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
    '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
    '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
    Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Comment

Well I went through the emissions test, my first run there was no reading, partly due to the sensor being setup more for lower vehicles (mine is a 4WD Hilux), so I gunned it next time and tried to get closer to the sensor on the left, the side the exhaust is on.

Here's my result:

Carbon Monoxide: 0.07%
      Nitric Oxide: 657 ppm
      Total Hydrocarbons: 69 ppm
      Smoke: 0.15

According to the pamphlet I was given afterwards, the three measured pollutants are rated as:
      Carbon monoxide
      Good <0.69%
      Fair 0.70% to 3.16%
      Poor >3.17%

Nitric Oxide
      Good <1545 ppm
      Fair 1546 to 3251 ppm
      Poor >3252 ppm

Smoke
      Good <0.07
      Fair 0.08 to 0.21
      Poor >0.22

So the vehicle scored better than "Good" on the first two and "Fair" on the smoke, which the operators said was due to the Hilux being a diesel!

I think the test is a bit flawed, I expected the old Hilux would do worse than that, but without other people's diesel data with which to compare I am not certain.
      1990 LN106 Hilux - Currently planning 2-tank system

Comment

Unfortunately, the test is designed for petrol vehicles, not for diesels, so the results, while interesting probably don't mean much.
        Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
        '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
        '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
        '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
        '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
        '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
        '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
        '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
        '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
        '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
        '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
        '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
        '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
        Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Comment

I guess though for people asking "what you can run your car on veggie oil? " wouldnt it be bad for the environment?" I guess the answer is it looks no worse than a petrol car. Of course CO2 is almost effectively zero.
          cheers<BR>Chris.<BR>1990 landcruiser 80, 1HD-T two tank, copper pipe HE+ 20 plate FPHE, toyota solenoids and filters. 1978 300D, elsbett one tank system.<BR>

Comment

Working...
          X