Cold starting issues already

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cold starting issues already

We have been running home made clear and clean Bio in the wifes Mitsubishi Delica since the start of summer. (10,000 ks) Its been great but now the weather is getting colder I am having trouble in the mornings starting it. (it is parked inside a brick garage so I'd hate to think what will happen at -7degC that we will get july) It starts as normal but only runs for around 30 seconds to 1 minute when the IP runs dry. You can actually hear the pump go quiet about 5 seconds before it stops. I then have to crank it heaps and it splutters for about 3-4 minutes until warm. Once warm no worries. I have changed the CAV filter. I then found an old carter electric fuel pump I had from years ago and temporarily installed it in the engine bay next to the CAV (not the best location I know) and it has fixed the problem, although it must be restricting flow as you can't rev it high while driving. It does not worry her because she drives like a Nanna and has no problem over the last couple of days since.
    I am now looking at a Walbro, see VEGPOWER.COM however, I am hoping the IP is not getting weak? (The bus has 75,000 ks) The CAV unit had to be located on the other side of the engine as there is no room on the passenger side, so it has an extra 1.5 meters or so of fuel line to contend with and I did think this may be an issue when I installed it.
    What I plan on doing in the short term is bypass the CAV and reconnect the OEM filter, remove the temp pump so it is all back to original specs and see what happens. The only problem with the OEM filter is you need to cough up 40 bucks for the filter, remove the intercooler, 2 batteries and you still need a filter wrench and 3 wrists to get to the filter to change it. That would be a great job to do on the side of the road Eh! The CAVs have always been clean but.
    I think I am going to have to sell the thing as it is most dreadful thing to work on.
    Any comments or suggestion would be appreciated.
    Thanks, Chris
    96 Mitsubishi Delica Jasper SOLD [piece of junk]
    93 1HDT Landcruiser SOLD [still going strong]
    90 1HDT Landcruiser Current
    Combined total of 380,000kms on Bio Diesel with no problems related to bio.

Re: Cold starting issues already

Are you sure it is not sucking a bit of air at the filter? try bleeding the system.

Perhaps stick a sample of your bio in the fridge and see if anything comes out of it.

Were there any lumps in the filter when you changed it?

Geoff
    Telegraph Point NSW
    Landcruiser GXL '96 - 80:20 blends
    Pug 1.6 HDi - 308 Touring Wagon - definitely not game :-)

Comment

Hi jasper try a vegtherm in line fuel heater and an electric fuel pump i put this in my navara and when the heater is on it will burn your finger tips in afew seconds when touching the outside

Comment

Get a Walbro FRB-5 lift pump, its alow pressure (< 10psi) pump more than suitable for diesels, it will make your IP a lot quieter and less stressed. I am sure your IP is fine at 75K km, gte an inline heater and a pump and you should be fine.

Here are the details for all who are interested, I got mine here but the poor Australian distributors are let down by poor supply and information from their supplier, better to buy in the US of A our dollar is in our favour currently too.

Ron Gregory
        Auto Performance Engineering
        Auto Performance Engineering - Walbro fuel pumps and more
        email:
        Auto Performance Engineering
        <ape@autoperformanceengineering.com>

That's were I got mine from, about $150AUS landed here may be a bit more since mine was one of two in the parcel so freight was shared.

Matt
        Biodiesel Bandit

Landcruiser '98 80 series B100.

Comment

Originally posted by Jasper View Post
          We have been running home made clear and clean Bio in the wifes Mitsubishi Delica since the start of summer. (10,000 ks) Its been great but now the weather is getting colder I am having trouble in the mornings starting it. (it is parked inside a brick garage so I'd hate to think what will happen at -7degC that we will get july) It starts as normal but only runs for around 30 seconds to 1 minute when the IP runs dry. You can actually hear the pump go quiet about 5 seconds before it stops. I then have to crank it heaps and it splutters for about 3-4 minutes until warm. Once warm no worries. I have changed the CAV filter. I then found an old carter electric fuel pump I had from years ago and temporarily installed it in the engine bay next to the CAV (not the best location I know) and it has fixed the problem, although it must be restricting flow as you can't rev it high while driving.
          SNIP
          Any comments or suggestion would be appreciated.
          Thanks, Chris
          Based on the fact that it starts, runs for a short time and then conks out, is difficult to restart, but after some cranking, eventually fires up, then sputters for a while, I believe that you have a small leak which is either allowing the fuel to slowly drain back to the tank, or leak out of a part of the fuel system, close to the IP. This is supported by the fault ceasing when the fuel pump was added.
          Check for fuel leaks under the car's normal parking spot.
          Check all hose connections and particularly the CAV filter housing, as it can be difficult to get all of the parts lined up, and the seals straight, whilst tightening the bolt.

There is no benefit in adding a fuel heater, unless your biodiesel has a high Melting Point, close to the minimum overnight temperature.

I hope this helps,
          Tony
          Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
          '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
          '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
          '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
          '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
          '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
          '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
          '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
          '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
          '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
          '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
          '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
          '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
          Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Comment

Hi guys and thanks for the replies. I've been away for a bit hence the long time in replying.
            I have since removed the electric pump but kept the CAV and added a bit of clear hose before the IP and there is no air going into it so I guess that rules out the air leak??
            I filled it up with dino diesel (about B25 now) and it still conks out after a minute or so but I have found that if I keep the revs up after starting it, it will keep going. It does almost stop a few times but if I rev it to around 1800-2200 after letting the oil pressure come up, it gets over it and after around 2-3 minutes is happy to idle and no more problems for the rest of the day.
            It is going to need fuel in a few days so I might try more diesel to get to near 100% diesel and if it still has problems reconnect the OEM filter and see form there. I guess if it goes OK on Diesel with the CAV it must be the bio or if not maybe the extra fuel lines and CAV are the problem? The fuel lines from the tank are tiny little things compared to my landcruiser and adding around 1.5 meters of extra hose plus a small filter like the CAV must not be helping. Also the extra lines go up and over the engine to the CAV and back so maybe the extra height is not helping.
            I'll keep playing with it.
            Cheers, Chris
            96 Mitsubishi Delica Jasper SOLD [piece of junk]
            93 1HDT Landcruiser SOLD [still going strong]
            90 1HDT Landcruiser Current
            Combined total of 380,000kms on Bio Diesel with no problems related to bio.

Comment

Check the CAV filter is right, it can be very difficult to see air bubbles and make sure the seals are in the right way, smaller one to the bottom between the filter and the galss bowl, larger one to the top in the retaining ring in the filter housing head.

Make sure the drain is done up tight too, not so tight to break that glass though.

Matt
              Biodiesel Bandit

Landcruiser '98 80 series B100.

Comment

Working...
              X