Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where to start?

Hi all
    I'm another one of those newbys keen to convert my vehicle to run on Veg oil. I have a 99 Mitsubishi Delica 2.8 Turbo Diesel. Anyone got some shortcuts on the best components to look for??
    Mike

Re: Where to start?

2 tank conversion is proven to be the best safe to go.

You'll need...

- Start up fuel tank - an out board fuel tank for example. Just to sart the car on diesel and shut down on diesel. Does not have to be too larg. 20-30 litre should last you for a few days depending on how many time you'll strat/stop the car. Try e-bay or marine shops.

- Fuel hoses 3/8'' and 1/2'' and maybe 5/8'' depends hoses used on your car. Clark Rubber is the best place to go.

- Brass fittings Ts and barbs - Any local fitting work shop or hardware. Also ask them for hose clamps, brackets, bolts, nuts and washers.

- Heat exchangers - to heat the oil before the filter and the engine. search ebay also visit www.helton.com.au .

- CAV fuel filter - Try any diesel shop or ebay.

- 6 port fuel selector valve. try ebay - make sure it is new.

- ON/ON switch + wires + terminals + fuse. Try Jay Car or Tandy

- Cable ties - not less than 5mm wide.

See if you have any more question

Good luck
    Fitian
    <><

Comment

It sounds stupid, but start with your oil source. See whats availible, how much is possible to get and how liquid it is. (start with cafes, they have had ceaner oil in my expirence.) if you can only get stuff that requires heating to get it liquid, you car will require heated lines, heated fuel tanks, heatd filters. You will need to heat the oil (to the same amount as the car heats it) before filtering.
      If you can get clean oil, you only need another fuel tank, lines, and filter and changeover device.

definately either go 2 tanks, or elsbett conversion.
      cheers<BR>Chris.<BR>1990 landcruiser 80, 1HD-T two tank, copper pipe HE+ 20 plate FPHE, toyota solenoids and filters. 1978 300D, elsbett one tank system.<BR>

Comment

Thanks Fitian. Very helpful. I'm trying to get to it between other projects but, especially with quality assistance, determination is setting in...
        Mike

Comment

Hi Chris
          Thanks for your reply, also very helpful. Are you saying that if the oil is liquid & clean enough/filtered well enough that you don't really need to heat it before it hits the injectors? Is the viscoscity low enough at room temp?
          Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Chappos View Post
            Hi Chris
            Thanks for your reply, also very helpful. Are you saying that if the oil is liquid & clean enough/filtered well enough that you don't really need to heat it before it hits the injectors? Is the viscoscity low enough at room temp?
            Mike
            Sorry Chris, I will answer this one but you are still the teacher though

NO NO NO Chris did n't mean that.

His advise is ... before converting your car you need to look for oil around your area first. Then there comes the next step.

If you could only find ...

A- thick or fatty oil then your car conversion will have to contain heated tank heated fuel lines and heated filter too to turn this fat into liquid oil otherwise it will not get through the injectors.

B- liquid oil at roon temp then you will only need heating before the filter and before the injectors only.

Heating the oil before the filter and the injectors is a must.

Two tank conversion is the safest.

Good luck
            Fitian
            <><

Comment

Working...
            X