one stop shop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• one stop shop

Ive been trying to pump cold oil through a 5 micron filter. The idea being to pump oil from the waste oil drum at the shop, through the filter into the fuel tank. A one stop shop no lift.
    No luck so far, Ive gone up to 45psi but its a slow process. If I designed a stronger filter canister I could go higher. any thoughts

Re: one stop shop

How big a bottle of "Brave Pills" do you have?

There's no way I would consider doing what you are talking about, because what happens if you manage to suck up a great heap of water from the drum?

Apart from that it's a very good idea.

Comment

WOW, This is a great idea. How come none of us here never thought of it.? Good on you mate.

How about you give the shop the filter bag and the drum a week or two before you run out of oil or get them to call you when there is enough filtered oil to fill up your tank?

I might try that
      Fitian
      <><

Comment

Apart from the water issue, you may also have a problem with oil having a high melting point. You will also run into issues with the capacity of the filter to trap and hold contaminants.

If the oil in the drum is near its cloud point, the oil will rapidly block the filter.

If there is a total of 5 litres of carbon and food particles in the drum and your filter can only hold 100mL of contaminants, you will not get far, especially if the suction is from the bottom of the drum.

Does your suplier filter the oil into the drum?
        IS there any solid oil in the oil drum when it is cold?
        Are you sucking the oil to be filtered from the top layer of the oil in the drum?

Regards,
        Tony
        Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
        '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
        '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
        '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
        '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
        '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
        '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
        '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
        '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
        '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
        '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
        '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
        '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
        Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Comment

Hi Tom,

I built system in the video link below but use a cordless drill powered drum pump. It's really only for the trips when I can't carry enough oil to get me there and back (1,500km plus). That's because even in bulk the Racor Aqua block 1000 series filters are over $20 each. Mind you if I use a filter per fill up on my 130 litre tank I am way in front. About $130 or more in front per fill in fact.

If this expensive filter also saves my injector pump form self destruction, I am thousands in front. It's the dissolved salts and acids in the water that are the problem.

The Aqua block filter is treated to repel suspended water in oil and will swell up and stop all together if bulk water is mistakenly sucked through. The filter housing is available on evilbay as a knock off Taiwanese copy and sells for approx. $300 instead of $800 plus. It's and exact copy.

Watch all the Goldenrod videos on youtube, there are some excellent ideas there. The 'head as final heat exchanger' is a favourite. The physics are undeniable. What it doesn't say is that the viscosity of the oil needs to be reduced for the rest of the fuel system to work. So heat or blend but choose your poison; but the WVO / SVO's viscosity must be reduced.

Enjoy if you haven't seen it. YouTube - Episode 6: The One Shot Filtration Unit Demonstration

cheers, Michael

Comment

Forgot to say that the drill powered drum pump is faster and quieter than anything I've seen or heard.

Comment

Working...
            X