Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how hot is too hot?

Hi all,

On the open road(100km/h for extended periods) the temperature in my filter can climb to 100*C. before I stop some coolant flow to my FPHE. So, how hot is too hot for my VE type Injector pump?

My system uses an insulated 20 plate FPHE, HOH insulated along the enire line and an insulated looped return.

Cheers for the help.

Re: how hot is too hot?

Originally posted by Urvey View Post
    Hi all,

On the open road(100km/h for extended periods) the temperature in my filter can climb to 100*C. before I stop some coolant flow to my FPHE. So, how hot is too hot for my VE type Injector pump?

My system uses an insulated 20 plate FPHE, HOH insulated along the enire line and an insulated looped return.

Cheers for the help.
    Saw your note above. I have about 400 litres of WCO (Solid) in my shed in 20 l pails. I normally make Biodiesel from these but I have far too much now. Are you interested in using it as SVO in your vehicle?

If you are it is yours. If not someone else in this forum may want it.
    I lve in the Adelaide Hills near Woodside.
    Regards,

Arie (DutchAussie)
    2007 VW Caddy 1.9 L TDI with DSG

Australian VW Caddy Website:
    http://vw-caddy.yolasite.com

Australian VW Caddy Forum:
    http://www.getphpbb.com/phpbb/index.php?mforum=d

Australian Biodiesel Handbook:
    http://www.biodiesel-handbook.yolasite.com

Comment

Interesting question and unfortunately I cannot help.

The heating for the oil is to melt and fats and keep the oil viscous so that it flows and acts more "like" diesel.

My query, in the same vein, is that in a toyota 1HZ with a denso IP the fuel actually acts as a coolant for the IP and I assume was designed for a fluid with the viscosity of diesel.

The fuel return line to the tanks gets warm but not "hot".

So generally are there specific operating temperatures for IPs? any idea where they can be accessed/

Geoff
      Telegraph Point NSW
      Landcruiser GXL '96 - 80:20 blends
      Pug 1.6 HDi - 308 Touring Wagon - definitely not game :-)

Comment

Originally posted by DutchAussie View Post
        Saw your note above. I have about 400 litres of WCO (Solid) in my shed in 20 l pails. I normally make Biodiesel from these but I have far too much now. Are you interested in using it as SVO in your vehicle?

If you are it is yours. If not someone else in this forum may want it.
        I lve in the Adelaide Hills near Woodside.
        Thanks for the offer Dutch Aussie but I'd prefer to stick to liquid oils for the time being. Maybe someone else here can help you.

Cheers

Bryan

Comment

You may have to do some research with the manufacturer.

Good question, but a technical one beyond my current knowledge.

Jason
          1977 240D Twin Tank

Comment

Originally posted by Urvey View Post

If you are worried it's getting too hot, I'd consider adding another 3 port valve to your return so that you can unloop it when the temp is high and see how much it drops by.
            Qwarla
            Last edited by Qwarla; 4 June 2007, 09:45 PM.

Comment

I'd not be worried about the IP temperature. They are such large chunks of metal attached closely to the engine block. With coolant temperatures running at 100°C, surely the IP can handle that heat.

Where you 'may' run into problems is the glues inside the filters. I asked a couple of filter manufacturers about the temperature capacity of their fuel filters. Ryco were the only one to reply and I think said they tested their filters to 80° and had them over 100°.

The oil itself is fine at high temps and it's working temperature in a fryer is what ?180°??

Tim
              Toyota Landcruiser 1988 HJ61 Manual Wagon
              12H-T turbo Direct Injection.
              Twin Tank setup runs on 100% WVO after warm up. 30 plate FPHE with 80°C output, 12mm fuel lines
              Start up and shut down electric fuel pump feeds IP direct.
              Front 4WDSytstems Lokka, Rear ARB airlokka for quick escapes up sandhills. Performance GTurbo with 600mm FMIC gives 450nm @ 1700rpm at 20psi boost.

Comment

Thanks for the help guys. And adam, thanks for the text about polymerisation.

What are peoples thoughts on polymerisation? How long does oil need to be held in one spot at above 95*C to polymerise? How bigger problem is it?

Qwarla, I like your idea about an extra 3 port valve, it does sound like a bit of work though. It is also asuming that the fuel leaving the IP is hotter than the coolant temp, can this be said for sure?

Cheers

Bryan

Comment

Hello Bryan,
                  In my humble opinion polymerisation is a issue. May I suggest that you look up "Vegetable oil as a fuel by Joe Beatty" on the web.

Malcolm.

Comment

Originally posted by hannahs bridge View Post
                    Hello Bryan,
                    In my humble opinion polymerisation is a issue. May I suggest that you look up "Vegetable oil as a fuel by Joe Beatty" on the web.

Malcolm.
                    Thanks for the advice,
                    It was a great article yet I'd be lying if I said I understood everything. I do understand that polymerisation is a problem as it seems to 'clog things up' so to speak. I am unsure if there is any other problem with it.

The article however did not mention specific temperatures at which VO would polymerise in a short space of time, eg. would it polymerise in the time it would take to flow from my heat exchanger to my IP if it were at 100*C?

It seems to me that polymerisation is only really an issue in heated tanks. For polymerisation to occur it seems that VO must be held at a high temperature for a long period of time and often in the presence of metal/oxygen. Anyhow, if polymerisation did occur in the tank, wouldn't it just clog the filter and not cause any real damage?

Am I missing something?

Cheers

Bryan
                    Last edited by Urvey; 14 June 2007, 08:08 PM.

Comment

I pick up boiling oil from fryers in steel tins and by the time I take them home I notice that the oil has formed a thin layer of plastic on the side of the tins.
                      Fitian
                      <><

Comment

Fitian, I've had this happen too.
                        What it is however is the oil drying out, a result just like oil based paints. Once I picked up some in my trailer and the shop had punched holes in the drum to aid the oil flow. On the trip home the oil coated the trailer and it set like paint over a few days. Couldn't pressure wash it off and eventually used oven cleaner to get it off.
                        Cheers, Michael

Comment

Michael,
                          Could this be the same thing with heated fuel tanks?
                          Fitian
                          <><

Comment

I would only recommend heating fuel tanks where the oil has a high melting point (eg Tallow, Palm or coconut oils). These high melting point oils also have a very low Iodine Value, which means that they are less prone to polymerisation.

It is not necessary to heat the tank where the oil is liquid already. If it will flow, pass it thru a FPHE before the filter and before the IP.

Regards,
                            Tony
                            Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
                            '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
                            '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
                            '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
                            '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
                            '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
                            '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
                            '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
                            '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
                            '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
                            '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
                            '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
                            '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
                            Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Comment

Hi Fitian,

I'm fairly sure it is a different process happening in the tanks. My trailer experience was a drying out, in full sun, no discolouration, the oil remained clear, but went hard like a plastic skin or paint.

What's happening in the tanks is a wet process and a conversion of some sort; chemical or biological. I suspect it's biological, but will know for sure in a day or two, when I receive a sample and have it analysed.

cheers, Michael

Comment

Working...
                              X