Work Ute Suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Work Ute Suggestions

I am about to purchase a work ute, something like a Hilux Dual Cab with Tray back 95 or onwards most likely, and I have a few quesitons for you gurus ont he biodeiesel scene.

1. I definately want to go biodiesel, can I just buy ANY diesel vehicle, ensure all the lines are synthetic, and potentially get a pre filter for the fuel, and away I go?

2. Given that I wont be making my own diesel, can I switch between petro-diesel and bio-diesel as the supply is available. i.e. if I have to fill up out in woop woop, can i use petro-diesel, and then when in sysdney, go to the biodiesel station?

3. Are there any suggestions about make and model that work particularly well in diesel/bio-diesel for a work truck such as that which i have specified?

I very much appreciate any tips, I am brand new to this scene, but want in!

Regards

Bluey

Re: Work Ute Suggestions

Hey Bluey,

Welcome aboard!

You seem to have done your research well:
    1. Synthetic lines and a Lucas/CAV filter or pre-filter and you shoud be set.
    2. Biodiesel and petro-diesel can be mixed in any blend (ratio) you like. In fact with winter upon us, B100 (100% biodiesel) is harder to source and some suggest a risk of it solidifying in cold conditions. So most of us are having to make do with purchasing B50. Some outlets sell B20 and B5.
    So the effect of fllling with "dino-diesel" is simply to change the blend
    3. The main advantage of "newer" vehicles is the non-rubber lines as standard. An added "piece-of-mind" is that many of the newer turbo-diesel engines have been running on biodiesel blends in Europe where BD is more readily available. You will find such "real world testing" on a 10 year old Hilux like you're interested a bit harder to find - but i'm sure there are people out there doing it.
    I ran a 1986 Landrover with Isuzu diesel for a couple of thousand kms before I sold it and experienced no problems - I didn't even have to change the fuel filter... maybe an advantage of the "old-tech" diesel engines!?!

Good luck

cheers,

Geoff.

Comment

Working...
    X