New user - Audi Q7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New user - Audi Q7

Hi - have just bought first diesel car - Audi Q7. Keen to get started using biofuel blends to support and grow this important industry. Any advice for a first user - or just turn up at the biofuel pump and get going with low blend like B20? Anyone using bio in this model car? Any advice appreciated. Thx.

Re: New user - Audi Q7

Hi,

Does the Audi share engines with any of the VWs? i.e. Toureg (sp?).
    Do you know what Audi Australia have to say on using Bio blends?
    Seems that some local manufacturer reps differ from their European counterparts.
    My research into my (near) new Peugeot has lead to a few unanswered questions that I want answered before my first fill up on bio.

Tygar.

Comment

Hmmm, not sure about engine sharing with VW but will check that out. Re Audi Australia's position - before I bought the car I told the dealer that I must be able to use Biofuel in it or wouldn't be interested. The dealer Manager then checked it out for me with Audi Australia service people and gave me the green light. He could not provide anything in writing or other info on how to get started or what to becareful of so that's what's made me nervous about the first fill -up.

What sort of problems should I be looking for when I first get started.

Any ideas on who to go to for more info.

Thanks!

Comment

If you are looking for guidance, don't seek it from Audi. Of course the dealer manager said it was OK, as it got him the deal. You'll find that if you force them for a position, they will simply tell you that no more than 5% is OK. This is because they have done no research or testing themselves here and will simply err on the side of caution.

Mazda did the same when I bought my diesel wagon. The only manufacturer in Aust that will openly accept biodiesel up to a B30 blend is Peugeot, but I believe that they have recently done an about face on this and are now saying B5. (Often the same companies in Europe will have different positions, more in favour of biodiesel even though they are the same car. )

At the end of the day, a diesel engine will run better on biodiesel, particularly a very modern one. However, the fuel must be up to scratch (same with the petrodiesel as well). Australian vehicle manufacturers/importers are simply afraid that biodiesel sold here will not meet spec.

At the end of the day any warranty claim you may have for fuel related issues be they will biodiesel or dirty dino diesel (yes, there are plenty of those claims too) will be avoided by the manufacturer and thrown to the fuel supplier (so keep your receipts!)

Biodiesel that meets the Australian spec will have no problems running in your car, but you'd have to try it yourself and be prepared to suffer ignorance from service people who have never bothered to think that far.

If you wanted to just "dip your toe", you should start with B20. When you've seen that all your wheels didn't fall off, your car didn't catch fire and your bumper mysteriously develop rust, you can try a stronger blend if you want.

If the car has only had a few tankfuls of dino juice in it, you probably won't need to worry about changing any filters as there won't have been much time for dino sludge to have built up yet.
        Robert.
        Site Admin.

Comment

Thanks - will get stared with B20 and will be sure to keep my fuel reciepts. Cheers!

Comment

SueH,

If you hadn't already seen the thread on where folks should by their Bio, the answer is the Biodiesel Station in Marrackville.
            People have had bad experiences with some VP (Volume Plus) servos.
            As you've forked out quite a bit on your Audi it may be prudent.

cheers Tygar.

Comment

Working...
            X