finding WVO in perth?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• finding WVO in perth?

Hi everyone, I'm pretty new to the bio making game and have been researching into it quite extensively. I am about to start my first test batches using unused vegetable oil (which cost a little too much per ltr) I was wonder if anyone could let me know how they went about collecting their WVO. I don't really want to purchase it for more than 40cents a litre and free would be even better. Is it a good idea to go straight to the 'fish n chip' shop? I called FAtaway and alba edible oils about getting some of them but they say that there are regulations involved when purchasing WVO from them. any comment will be much appreciated.

PS Narrogin is a little to far for me to go

Re: finding WVO in perth?

biomyown,
    Welcome to the forum.
    I can let you have a 60 litre drum of used cooking oil to let you get started, and there are members of WARFA who may have a surplus of oil from time to time. In general, we are happy to share our oil.

There have been several threads on how to solicit oil from restaurants, lunch bars and Fish & Chip shops. Perhaps you should search for "oil collection", 'oil sources'. etc.

What I have done in the past, is togo to the potential supplier and ask what sort of oil they use for frying and whether is is solid when cold. If they are busy, come back later when they are not busy, then ask them if they have a reliable collection service and whether they have to pay to have it collected.

Let them know that you would like to try to use oit to run your car on the used cooking oil and ask if they can let you have a sample of 10 - 20 litres to try out.

Work to build the relationship and it can work out well for both of you.
    Here are some tips to help you manage the relationship to the benefit of both parties:
    • Be reliable - arrange a regular time and day for the collection
    • Leave the oil storage area cleaner than you found it.
    • Become a regular customer - Contribute to your supplier's profits, by buying theior product.
    • If making biodiesel, provide some de-meth'd byproduct and a pump pack for your supplier to try as handwash/degreaser.
    • Don't bother them when they are busy.
    • Report back to your supplier on the progress of your experiment.

I pay $0.10 per litre and my supplier provides me around 200 - 250 litres per month.

If you are interested in attending a WA Renewable Fuels Association Inc meeting, give me a call on 08 9497 8619. We usually meet in Victoria Park on the 2nd Sunday of each month. I usually list the meetings in the Calendar section of this site.

Merry Christmas,
    Tony
    Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
    '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
    '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
    '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
    '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
    '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
    '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
    '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
    '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
    '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
    '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
    '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
    '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
    Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Comment

Re: finding WVO in perth?

Thanks for the sound advise Tony, I think I will take you up on you offer of the 60 liters, will give you a call in the new year after I have mad a few successful test batches. Might have to make an effort to get down to one of those meetings too.

Cheers!

Mal aka biomyown

Comment

Working...
      X