Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VW Polo 1.9TDI

Hi,
    Has anyone looked at or bought the new Polo tdi (or the Golf but a bit out of my price range). Im looking at buying one soon.
    Im looking at running Biodiesel in it.
    Also wondering what the real world city consumption figures are (not the ones claimed by factory).
    Have looked at the French cars (307 or C4) or the new Astra (Belgium) for build quality and reliability and running costs.
    Paul

Re: VW Polo 1.9TDI

Hi
    I think your polo would really get the economy that is claimed, particularly if you work out the optimum rev range for the turbo and use the gears to stay there.
    I know a touareg isn't a polo, but my 2.5 is quite similar to the 1.9, and when I drive from Newcastle down the F3 to Sydney, my economy profile looks like:

Leaving Newcastle, out the link road and on to the F3 (long gentle uphill pull) - trip avg after 10 minutes ~12l/100k.
    Cruise control ON 110km/hr on F3, to Hornsby -trip avg improves to around 9.2.
    Now fo rthe interesting bit... Once on the urban bit of the Pacific highway (you know, traffic, lights etc) - as long as the traffic isn't REALLY bad (I typically do this on a saturday or @0600 on a week morning) - the trip economy will happily IMPROVE to somewhere in the low 8 area (say 8.3) by the time I get to the Harbour bridge.

My explanation for this is that the freeway run has the rpm just above the "sweet spot" for economy and the run through the city has the diesel virtually idling. You don't have to put your foot down far to pull as the torque is there from quite low revs.

Now my figures are for a 2.5 tonne monster (I get typically 1100km between fills of the 100l tank), so prepare to be impressed by the polo's economy. It should make a prius look sick.

The only thing to check wrt biodiesel is whether it has a DPF (particle filter) on the exhaust, in which case there will be a "not for biodiesel" sticker on the inside of the fuel filler door. What this means and whether it really makes the vehicle unsuitable for biodiesel is the subject of another thread here and much discussion around the world. I don't know the answer to that.

..Neil
    ..Neil

VW Touareg R5 TDI

Comment

Hi Neil,

Thanks for the great feedback re my post. Those are great figures for the Touareg (the TDi Touareg did well in the last several Paris-Dakar).

I cant wait to go and get the new Polo, Ive looked at the specs, torque curve graphs (Nm at rpm), gear ratios, and have even done a spreadsheet calculating speed at rpm keeping in mind the optimum rev range (ie. peak torque) although in the real world I guess one can shortshift earlier - due to the abundance in torque to move the weight.

I drive a manual V6 Magna which I bought in 1997 (regrettingly having missed out on one of the 400 Golf MKIII's brought into Oz) and having had to drive lots of Landcruisers, tend to drive it shortshifting alot driving according to the available torque.

The calcs on the Polo (as you rightly point out for the Touareg re the sweet spot re freeway) show freeway limits are just above the sweet spot - I guess maybe the Oz spec cars gear ratios are designed with 110 in mind.

I have been reading nearly all the postings re DPF's (VW) / FAP (for the PSA cars - C4, 307), the manufacturers stance re biodiesel, all the warnings "Nicht for biodiesel", standards, fuel quality, sulphur contents, Euro emission standards, suitability, the incompatibility with the fuel that gets inject into the DPF to clean it out. It all makes great reading and research, maybe one day car manufacturers can take the consumer seriously. Australia as a primary industry country has the capability to lead the world on this, it could result in the boom of one of the oil yielding crops for the Biodiesel industry.

Again many thanks for the real world feedback.

Regards,
      Paul

Comment

G'day Paul
        Keep in touch re the polo TDI, and what fuel you use - economy figures etc are always interesting. Also, we've got a year or so to go until our honda jazz (her indoors) is up for replacement and the polo tdi would be our current pick.

..Neil
        ..Neil

VW Touareg R5 TDI

Comment

I thought i would add my 2 cents about the polo TDI. I have recently bought a VW Caddy 1.9lt TDI, which is the same engine as in the polo tdi but may be slightly tuned differently. With the 60lt tank in the caddy i can average between 750-800km per tank or at least until the warning light comes on. This is usally in suburb driving not alot of highway cruising. The polo only has a 45lt tank, but i think you should read the carsguide article http://carsguide.news.com.au/story/0...003140,00.html

This has been my 1st diesel car and still do own a honda jazz vtis which i prefer to drive over the caddy. The running cost are about the same for the jazz as the caddy. If they could make a diesel engine that could rev to 8000 rpm then i maybe more convinced, dont get me wrong the VW caddy is great for a van best in its class.

Comment

i have had a vw polo tdi for about 5 months now.in the city im getting about 600ks out of the tank before the fuel light comes on and in the country i get about 780 ks which was about 5.3 litres per hundred ks

Comment

Originally posted by moonan
              Now fo rthe interesting bit... Once on the urban bit of the Pacific highway (you know, traffic, lights etc) - as long as the traffic isn't REALLY bad (I typically do this on a saturday or @0600 on a week morning) - the trip economy will happily IMPROVE to somewhere in the low 8 area (say 8.3) by the time I get to the Harbour bridge.

My explanation for this is that the freeway run has the rpm just above the "sweet spot" for economy and the run through the city has the diesel virtually idling. You don't have to put your foot down far to pull as the torque is there from quite low revs.
              ..Neil
              Very important to note that drag is proportional to V^2 ie double your speed and you are pulling 4 times the drag. This likely explains the improvement in economy in this scenario.
              To prove this, you could drive down from Newcastle at about 75km/h

Craig

Comment

You've got a good point wrt the drag and speed.
                I believe that the good economy of modern vehicles has a lot to do with the "slippery" shape. On one hand, I have a couple of mates who have had their R5 TDI engines "chipped" for more power, and their optimum economy is around 115 - 120km/hr which says that in our case, the car is aerodynamic enough that it is probably an engine "sweet spot" that gives best economy; on the other hand, I recently towed a trailer that wasn't heavy but had a large canopy on it (8' high and 8' wide). My economy (which doesn't change much with my usual camper-trailer) went from around 9 l/100km to around 17! Luckily I didn't have to tow it very far...

..Neil
                ..Neil

VW Touareg R5 TDI

Comment

have you tried running bi-diesel in your TDI yet?

Comment

Originally posted by Polo
                    have you tried running bi-diesel in your TDI yet?
                    Of Course not - VW wouldn't approve.
                    I did, however, spend some time in the country - up Ruddrf'd way - and on the property used 200l from a diesel drum over a period of a few weeks. It mixed in my tank with what was there somewhere between 30 - 70% on occasions in March and April.

All went fine! At the next service I asked them to drain the fuel filter and check and there was nothing to report.

The waxy stuff on the lip of the drum on cold mornings has put me off a bit during winter, but who knows what spring might bring.
                    ..Neil

VW Touareg R5 TDI

Comment

Hi,

I have a 2007 VW Caddy and have done 3900 Km so far with anything up to 98% Biodiesel and have an average consumption of 6.7 L /100Km.

My only problem is that I use Biodiesel made from animal fat waste cooking oil. The Cloudpoint for the Biodiesel is about 15 C. The engine runs like a dream on this but as it gets colder I may get in trouble.

I am looking at heating the Fuel Filter and tank but unfortunately the fuel lines are plastic.

Good luck with the Polo.

This is our first VW and I think it is excellent.

I would like to hear more from VW Caddy owners.

Pictures of our VW Caddy are on my Home Site.
                      Regards,

Arie (DutchAussie)
                      2007 VW Caddy 1.9 L TDI with DSG

Australian VW Caddy Website:
                      http://vw-caddy.yolasite.com

Australian VW Caddy Forum:
                      http://www.getphpbb.com/phpbb/index.php?mforum=d

Australian Biodiesel Handbook:
                      http://www.biodiesel-handbook.yolasite.com

Comment

Ive had my polo for 10 months now.On my last trip to canberra,i did 709 kms using 39.5 litres at 5.57 litres per 100 kms.I did have the cruise control set on 120ks thou.The fuel econ is much better at 100 to 110 ks an hour.In the city im getting anything from 7 to 8 litres per 100 ks depending how i drive.Its a lovely car to drive apart from spending alot of time at the dealers.The count now is 7 times now.
                        hope this helps

Comment

I've had a Tdi Polo since 2006. I average 5-5.5L/100km in the city and have been getting 4.5L/100km on the highway (doing 110km/h, usually.)

Comment

Originally posted by warlock View Post
                            Ive had my polo for 10 months now.On my last trip to canberra,i did 709 kms using 39.5 litres at 5.57 litres per 100 kms.I did have the cruise control set on 120ks thou.The fuel econ is much better at 100 to 110 ks an hour.In the city im getting anything from 7 to 8 litres per 100 ks depending how i drive.Its a lovely car to drive apart from spending alot of time at the dealers.The count now is 7 times now.
                            hope this helps
                            Yes it takes a while for the dealers to sort out the factory bugs. One reason why I don't buy new cars. Warranty is all very well but what do you drive when your car is off the road? I don't think many dealers provide a free loan car so 'free' warranty repairs end up costing heaps in replacement vehicle costs. Seems to me ithat about the end of this year would b e a good time to buy a second hand (fully sorted) 2006 polo and then run it on B100.

Comment

Mine went to the dealer 7 times over a year and a half to get a power window fixed - simply because they didn't diagnose it correctly the first 6 times.

Comment

Working...
                              X