Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tritation and prewash?

Hello there,
    I am having problems in my titration getting the 1 ml of oil (at 45-50 degrees) to disolve in the 20 ml of isopropyl alcohol.
    when I mix the oil in the alcohol, the oil seems to settle to the bottom in little bubbles.
    anyone got some tricks to dissolve the oil?

also could someone suggest the best time to add the 5% water for the pre wash?

straight after the initial mixing of reactants?
    or 8 to 12 hours after the initial mixing?
    Thanks to all repliers
    cheers
    Luke
    intuo
    Last edited by intuo; 16 June 2006, 11:05 PM. Reason: spelling

Re: tritation and prewash?

Try heating the oil up along with the alcohol. They will mix a lot easier.

The pre-wash is ONLY done after the reaction takes place. Perhaps after an hour at 55C of mixing. When you drop in the water of a pre-wash it stops any further reaction dead in its tracks - make sure you have your desired level of conversion before you add the water.

Comment

Hello Intuo
      In my experience, I do not think I have ever seen the oil actually disolve into the alcohol.
      The Alcohol washes the FFA's and other acids out of the oil, that is all that matters in the titration.

Tilly

Comment

Re: titration and prewash?

hey terry,
        sorry I meant should I add the 5 % water after i finished the mixing (approx 1 hr later or 8 to 12 hours later when it settles and i will try warming the alcohol to help the oil dissolve better.

p.s. thanks for that response tilly that will give me a bit more confidence in future titrations!

Comment

Hello intuo

add the water 1- 1.5 hours later at the end of the mixing time.
          For the easiest method of titrating you can not beat the world famous Chopstick Titration Technique (Pat Pend)
          http://biodiesel.infopop.cc/groupee/...1/m/9541092001

Tilly

Comment

Working...
          X