late model landcruiser suitability?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• late model landcruiser suitability?

hi guys im searched and searched but to no avail, i cannot find any verification of anyone using a late model diesel landcruiser with BD. id love for someone to verify that this type of vehicle is useable without any major recalibrations etc etc to suit BD

ta in advance

Re: late model landcruiser suitability?

Golden,
    How late? Which year, which engine? These may seem like minor details to you, but I am not familiar with your interpretation of "late model". AFAIK it could be anything from the 90's or more recent.

If you are planning on using biodiesel as opposed to Used Cooking Oil or Straight (not converted to biodiesel) Vegetable Oil, then the engine should be compatible, with no modifications needed at all.
    If you are wanting to pour UCO into the diesel tank, at blend ratios in excess of 10% veggie in diesel, and expect that it will operate forever with no engine damage, then you are in for an expensive education.
    Tony From West Oz
    Vice Chairperson of WARFA
    Last edited by Tony From West Oz; 19 June 2006, 02:23 AM.
    Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
    '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
    '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
    '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
    '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
    '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
    '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
    '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
    '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
    '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
    '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
    '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
    '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
    Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Comment

Originally posted by Tony From West Oz
      Golden,
      How late? Which year, which engine? These may seem like minor details to you, but I am not familiar with your interpretation of "late model". AFAIK it could be anything from the 90's or more recent.

If you are planning on using biodiesel as opposed to Used Cooking Oil or Straight (not converted to biodiesel) Vegetable Oil, then the engine should be compatible, with no modifications needed at all.
      If you are wanting to pour UCO into the diesel tank, at blend ratios in excess of 10% veggie in diesel, and expect that it will operate forever with no engine damage, then you are in for an expensive education.
      hiya tony, cheers for the reply

i realise that this sounds like a total noobie post (and it is!) with silly questions, but after broaching he subject of biodiesel with relatives who are mechanics i have been bombed with "Recalibration" "rebuilding your fuel pump" etc doomsday scenarios and im not entirely comfy with putting homemade fuel into a decent car just yet

anyhow, im looking to buy a car for the purpose of making diesel (running a commodore atm, and its making me quite annoyed at the bowser) and am aiming at an ex government landcruiser, which generally translates into something along the lines of a 2004 model standard wagon...hence my reluctance to throw just anything in the tank. i have no idea at all about the different engines you commonly find in landcruisers these days (TDI? wtf? theres a difference?) since ive never been much into cars or engines. so long as its comfy, reliable, and safe, im happy .

the plan is to make biodiesel in a one stage process from fairly well any oils i can get hold of (i made a test batch of BD using virgin canola today, and another using heavily used animla fat courtesy of my friendly local chinese takeaway guy ) and both of them worked surprisingly well, despite my using the dr pepper method, a teaspoon, and some Diggers brand sodium hydroxide. i was amazed that it separated given how nasty the sodium hydroxide was (the container is hardly airtight, and im in the tropics...)

i have a background in pharmacy so am a tad experienced with a burette (i. hate. titrations.) so im sure ill manage...eventually although i do favour erring on the side of caution...so i dont mind if theres a superfluous cleaning process in there someplace, so long as i dont stuff up my engine...not a fan of the flaky stuff floating in chinese cooking oil!

thanks again
      Golden
      Biofuels Forum Newbie
      Last edited by Golden; 20 June 2006, 11:10 PM.

Comment

I have a 98 80 series turbo diesel and it goes fine. I have a mate who has a 2002 100 series turbo diesel and it too works fine. I would hazard a guess and say any landcruiser diesel will run biodiesel. The newer common rail Hilux will too as long as its very well made biodiesel.

No changes necessary at all. Just watch the cleaning action it will clog fuel filters is there is significant amounts.

Use it with confidence as long as you make the fuel well
        Matt

Originally posted by Golden
        hi guys im searched and searched but to no avail, i cannot find any verification of anyone using a late model diesel landcruiser with BD. id love for someone to verify that this type of vehicle is useable without any major recalibrations etc etc to suit BD

ta in advance
        Biodiesel Bandit

Landcruiser '98 80 series B100.

Comment

Golden, I would not recommend using straight veggie oil in one of the newer Toyota LC, especially one with a common rail fuel system.
          You should have no problem making a high quality biodiesel from any oil you can obtain which has a titration of 5 mL or less.
          I recommend a NaOH catalyst amount of 5 g/l of oil, plus titration amount and 20% methanol V/V oil.

Remember that the process reduces the Melting Point of the oil by 20 - 30°C, producing a biodiesel, with a MP of 10-15°C, made from Tallow with a MP~40°C.

Canola oil will make a biodiesel with a MP well below -10°C (I cannot test below -5°C, slightly lower if Mrs allows me to fiddle the freezer thermostat)
          If your ambient temperature does not drop below 15°C, Tallow biodiesel should serve you well.
          Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Previous Vehicles:
          '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
          '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)

Comment

thanks guys much appreciated. im a bit of a worry wort so an extra inline filter is certainly in order. cheers for the melting point tip, ill make sure to check the BD before filling to see that the viscocity is where it should be. is there perchance a way to modify your engine to preheat the BD near the injector so as to minimise the chance of solid BD being used? if some semi-solid BD did find its way through the injector if indeed you were in a cold climate, what sort of trouble would you be in? (apart from the obvious )

this line of thought has me thinking towards greasecars and heated fuel lines/tanks/rerouted radiator fluids etc...what a shame. tallow is so easy to find!

Comment

The problems which would arise with high MP biodiesel would arise at cold starting. If your IP was a CAV/Lucas/Delphi, ther is the possibility of shearing the shaft. Other IPs may not provide sufficient pressure to start the engine (My Mazda Capella wouldn't start on cold veggie oil, but was not damaged by attempting to start on solid palm oil)

If you suspected that your fuel was near it's melting point, you could pour some hot water over the injector lines and IP, to help raise the fuel temperature above it's MP. Once the engine is running, I suggest that it be idled until the engine reached >50°C. After this point, the engine will be adding heat to the IP by radiation, or for inline IPs, by the engine oil lube system for the IP.

If you were making Tallow biodiesel in Darwin and wanted to spend some time in the desert, and low temperatures were expected, you could ass 10 - 20% diesel to the tank to help the fuel stay liquid in these conditions.

Previous Vehicles:

Comment

Working...
              X