Wash Test- Dummy !!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wash Test- Dummy !!!

I found the websit JTF and thought wow these guys really seam to know their stuff, so i followed their guidelines religiously making a mini processor and have made 5 x 1 litre trial batches with new vegi oil.

Following thier formular i got good seperation and after a day or two of settleing got reasonably clear BD, but alas things came unglued when i went to follow their next step - the wash test.

After adding 150 mls of water to 150 mls of BD and shaking violently for 10 seconds all i got was mayo, i heated it in the micro wave to 50 degrees and it helped alittle but still looks nothing like their photos on Wash Testing on JTF.

My question is this, why does there seem to be such a big discrepency between the way they do it over there(JTF) and the way I've read its done over here???

Having said that, what should be my next step?,
    Should i wash and if so how?,
    What other steps do i need to take with my samples in order to be able to use them?
    Can i trust info on the JTF site.

Re: Wash Test- Dummy !!!

Hello Outback King

Keith Addison and his Journey to Forever website are held in complete contempt by the VAST majority of the biodiesel world.
    The biodiesel information on the Website is hopelessly out of date and inaccurate.
    Some of the procedures recommended there appear to come out of a Voodoo Book.

It has been common knowledge for at least 3 years that 3.5g NaoH as the base is not sufficent.
    It has been known for the same amount of time that the "Shake-um up" test you made mayonaise with is a meaningless test for completion because soap is as likely to cause the emulsion as an incomlete reaction.

Keith uses the site to SCAM money out of people by begging for donations for the poor and needy and then using the donations for his personal retirement fund.

For the easiest method of making mini-batches have a look at the World Famous Dr Pepper Technique (Pat Pend)
    http://biodiesel.infopop.cc/6/ubb.x?...51&m=857600061

For the easiest method of washing mini-batches look at the World Famous Dr Pepper Wash Technique (Pat Pend)
    http://biodiesel.infopop.cc/6/ubb.x?...7061#741607061

Do not trust a thing you have read or seen on the JTF site, even some of the Photo's are phony!

Th batch of biodiesel you have made will not be ASTM/DIN conversion but it will likely run fine in most diesel engines.

Tilly

Comment

I did the same doing 3.5gm naoh and it would separate was bloody hard to wash and half of my 1lt test batches were very poor conversion, and had the same problem using koh at 5gm litre.
      I then used 6gm of koh then 7.8gm of koh its only 90% pure and i have rounded that up to 8gm koh, Washing is easy and when i do a reprocess test its fine.
      Not using enough naoh or koh base left me with free fatty acids in my oil that made it very hard to wash.

The web sites tilly posted are very good.

If some one reading this thinks my diagnosis is wrong please tell me.

Comment

hi, i have used 3.5gm of naoh and have had a bit of prob washing (allthough going ok ) do you think if i use more naoh the wash will be easyer

Comment

Yes

Tilly

Comment

Originally posted by outback king View Post
            After adding 150 mls of water to 150 mls of BD and shaking violently for 10 seconds all i got was mayo, i heated it in the micro wave to 50 degrees and it helped alittle but still looks nothing like their photos on Wash Testing on JTF.

Having said that, what should be my next step?,
            I know this post is old but the question is still relevent.

I made 20 litres of mayo after a violent bubble wash (my first water wash with a new bubbler).

After trying a few things (microwave, glycerine, acid) I just applied heat. I put my submersion heater into the goop and stayed with it until it was completely seperated. It wasn't very scientific as I should have used a thermometer but I would say as it was heating for an hour or so it would have to have been above 70 or 80. I just kept on heating it until it was all seperated. I was so impressed with how it seperated that the next wash I did was also with the heater. I washed it twice with heat both times the bio was too hot to touch. So it was 60 or above (damn it I should have used the thermometer). I'm sure the water was boiling so it might have even been closer to 90 even? Any how the last wash was a 24 hour bubble wash and was quite good, it came out quite clear so I was satidfied it was ready for some drying. I bubbled for 24 hours and then it was all done.

Originally posted by outback king View Post
            What other steps do i need to take with my samples in order to be able to use them?
            Save the water test until after you've removed soap. But to be honest the concensus seems to be dont even both with it. I have done water tests after washing and drying but all that shows is that the two layers have different specific gravities. It doesn't necessarily say you've produced good quality bio. If you follow all of the good info at this site and at reputable web sites then you should be confident that you have produced good bio.

joe
            Joe Morgan
            Brisbane Biodiesel Site Admin
            http://www.brisbanebiodiesel.com

Searching tips using Google - SVO Dual tank systems
            SVO, Common Rail and Direct Injection - Vehicles converted to Used Cooking Oil

Comment

Working...
            X