not enough glycerine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• not enough glycerine

i managed to make a litre of biodiesel using 200 ml of methanol out of WVO but i only got about 100ml of glycerine after settling?
    would this indicate not enough KOH ?

Re: not enough glycerine

well for starters did you do a titration test on ya oil to determine your amount of koh to use?
    how many grams of koh did you use?
    what purity is ya koh?

Comment

That sounds like a low amount, even for new canola oil.

Using WVO you will also end up with neutralised FFAs as soap in the 'glycerin'. Also, any excess methanol will also end up in the glycerin. Since around 12% methanol is the stociometric ratio for reaction (chemically correct, but you need more for a good reaction), then the glycerin level will increase as you add more methanol (like say 25%).

As fantom asked, did you do a titration?

Another question, was the WVO dry? If you have water in the WVO, the water will neutralise part of the KOH and you will have a reduced reaction.

You can take the resulting biodiesel and try another reacton with it. I expect you will find that further glycerin will drop out.

Comment

i did a titration and it came in at 2ml so all up i used 7 grams
        im not sure of the purity ?

Comment

maybe drain off the glycerine, reheat the oil to around 45 - 50 degrees (but no higher) and shake it up again. It might not have been shaken enough in the first place. I'd say you 100mls of methoxide that didn't convert is mixed in with your oil.
          Joe Morgan
          Brisbane Biodiesel Site Admin
          http://www.brisbanebiodiesel.com

Searching tips using Google - SVO Dual tank systems
          SVO, Common Rail and Direct Injection - Vehicles converted to Used Cooking Oil

Comment

theratt, I noticed that you used a total of 7 grams of KOH.

Please note that 5 grams of catalyst is the baseline for NaOH. It is 7 grams for KOH. If your titration was accurate, then your final figures were a bit light on the KOH - you should have used 9 grams of KOH.

Joe, the methanol/methoxide has more affinity for the glycerin. There would only be about 3-4% methanol in the biodiesel, the rest ends up in the glycerin.

Here is something else to know about these reactions. You can add more methoxide to a reaction, but you cannot add more oil to a reaction that has taken place.

I ran into this early on when I made up some methoxide for a batch. I then realised I didn't have enough oil. So I poured the methoxide into the batch of oil I had and went and got more oil. I heated it up, poured it in and it failed to transesterfy. I ended up with oil thinned with biodiesel.

However, you can take a failed batch and drain the glycerin. Then add a small batch of methoxide to take the reaction further. This is what theratt can do with his present batch of biodiesel.

Comment

Hello theratt, Terry and Joe

Neutral has shown that the NaOH/KOH is consumed in a side reaction making biodiesel.
              After an hour there is likely to be no KOH/NaOH left in the biodiesel so additional NaOH/KOH mixed into a little methanol will continue the reaction.
              Do remove any glycerine first.

Tilly
              tillyfromparadise
              Last edited by tillyfromparadise; 27 June 2006, 08:43 PM.

Comment

cheers for all the good comments guys ill make up a little more methoxide
                and give it a mix and see what happens
                im so keen to give this biodiesel a go! im only learning and forums like these are so usefull for a beginner

Comment

hi theratt
                  the purity oh ya koh is important to know as if it is say 90% then for oil that tit at 2ml then you would need a total of 10 grams per litre. if it was 99% purity then you would only need a total of 9.1 grams per litre.
                  cheers fantom.

Comment

Can you do a Titration on the processed Bio to see if it is fully converted?
                    HDJ80 (aka Kiwipete)
                    Canberra

Comment

Try this, Tilly's conversion test -

http://biodiesel.infopop.cc/eve/ubb....7459#435107459

Most vehicles can run on a lower conversion rate than ASTM. Various tests and anecdotal evidence indicated that a 90% rate was suitable for most vehicles. If you have one of the older indirect injection engines, then they seem to get by on 85% quite well. If you had a new high-pressure common rail system, then you should look to the higher levels of conversion.

Comment

Originally posted by hdj80
                        Can you do a Titration on the processed Bio to see if it is fully converted?
                        HDJ, a Titration of even poorly converted biodiesel should indicate less than 0.4mL of caustic. This is because the FFA (which is the acid being neutralised in the titration) should have all been converted to soap, prior to the biodiesel reaction taking place. So even if you only have a 20 - 50% conversion, there should be no FFA to titrate.
                        Tony
                        Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
                        '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
                        '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
                        '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
                        '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
                        '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
                        '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
                        '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
                        '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
                        '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
                        '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
                        '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
                        '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
                        Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Comment

hi all just to give a bit of feedback
                          i have since reprocessed my oil and bingo i got another 90ml of glycerine drop out overnight , have since washed 4 times and dried
                          now it looks great!!
                          very happy, my first litre

thanks guys

Comment

Working...
                          X