Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Running a vehicle on BD in a cold climate

Hi

Still in search phase ... but it's looking good.

Do most Diesel motors cope with straight DB in cold climates ... if not what are my options

1. Warm the BD
    2. Dilute it with Diesel or other product ... what sort of ratios ??
    3. Instal a gas/diesel conversion kit $$$'s ... probably wouldn't solve the problem and we are talking big $$$$$$$$$$'s
    4. Run a 2 tank system ... straight Diesel until warm and then switch over to BD

I used the search function on the forum ... but came up with 22 pages to sift through

Regards

Stuart

Re: Running a vehicle on BD in a cold climate

Running a straight mix works fairly well. Colder the weather, higher the ratio of diesel.

Also depends on what feedstock you use. Frytol, animal tallow, or olive? oil all have high gel points and will basically turn solid in this kind of weather... and for Fern tree are strictly summer fuel.

I run 50/50 to be on the safe side... but mostly use canola, cotton seed oil, and 'generic' vegetable oil. They all have reasonable gel points.

Suppose I really should make a up half a dozen test samples to see what levels I could manage...

*adds to list of things to do... one day*

Comment

Re: Running a vehicle on BD in a cold climate

Stuart, refine your search by using Google within the site. This allows you to search for a phrase.

the basic search function on the forum only looks for words, never for phrases. Thus if you search for "cold weather biodiesel", the search will return all instances of "cold", all instances of "weather" and all instances of "biodiesel". Not user friendly eh?

I hope this helps,
      Tony
      Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
      '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
      '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
      '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
      '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
      '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
      '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
      '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
      '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
      '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
      '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
      '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
      '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
      Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Comment

Working...
      X