Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• water pump

Hi all,

I was considering getting a water pump off ebay, but got a little over whelmed with the choice. I was considering ones that pump between 500 - 1000 litres an hour, however my question is, Is a water pump suited to pumping the chemical involved in BD production. Or is any 'ol water pump good enough.

Cheers
    Joe
    Joe Morgan
    Brisbane Biodiesel Site Admin
    http://www.brisbanebiodiesel.com

Searching tips using Google - SVO Dual tank systems
    SVO, Common Rail and Direct Injection - Vehicles converted to Used Cooking Oil

Re: water pump

Hi all,

FYI, this is a response I got from a user in the biodieselnow.com forum

figure out the volume you need to move, the speed you want it moved, the internal pipes/impeller/impeller housing materials that touch the oil and catalyst, if you plan to circulate with the pump instead of mechanical means, the thermal capacities of the pump, the head (how far does it need to go, going vertical?), the energy input for the motor, and the reliability of the parts used. On and On there are considerations you might want to think about. I say use stainless steel if affordable, use pipes that will not add any external compounds to the reaction (talk of galvanized steel that has zinc, adverse to reaction), thats why I started the peristaltic pump thread that no one has responded to, peristaltic pumps never touch the reaction but pump through a tube squeezing motion. see Masterflow peristaltic pumps or my other thread.
    Even the appleseed pictures from girlmark show the cheap little 1/2hp water pumps, about $20 on ebay, though $20 to ship too so there you go.
    Want industrial pumps, use Baldor or Varian or any others you might like.
    Joe Morgan
    Brisbane Biodiesel Site Admin
    http://www.brisbanebiodiesel.com

Searching tips using Google - SVO Dual tank systems
    SVO, Common Rail and Direct Injection - Vehicles converted to Used Cooking Oil

Comment

Re: water pump

Joe I see most of the designs talk of just using water pumps and range from 10Gallons to 300 gallons per hour!! I read somewhere that if the components are made of HDPE then they should not be affected by biodiesel, this was in reference to storage drums but surely applies to other fittings. I would think that a slower pump would be better to avoid severe agitation of the mix and causing emulsion which you don't want to happen.
      Regards
      Peter

Comment

Working...
      X