Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking to purchase Landy

Hi all out there,

I reckon this knowledgeable group would be able to comment on this Landcruiser I am looking at purchasing.

I was looking at going bio if possible, but have 0, zilch, haba, aziko, no knowledge of this, so a good start is to get the vehicle first, No!?

It is a 1984 Toyota Landcruiser, 2H with 500000 km done.
    Selling for $5000 without RWC.

See part ad below.

"Recently fitted with a hyclone and K & N hi flow filter, good working truck, very little surface rust only, bullbar, towbar, snorkel, old man emu shocks and ARB greasable spring hangers, Full length alloy roof rack. Well maintained, Engine has had money spent on it with a very recent complete check and compression test showing it to be in excellent condition. Has a New high output Alternator and the Radiator is only about 18 months old.seat covers, dash mat, floor mats, vinyl floor for easy maintenance, flash cd player, very cold air con, camry front seats - very comfortable".

Would really appreciate your comments guys.

Thx, EtheB

Re: Looking to purchase Landy

What would it cost to have it RWC'd?
    That is where the expense will be initially.

No mention of the transmission or diffs, tyres and suspension. These areas get a beating with 4WDs off road and are not cheap to repair.

Can you get a RAC inspeciont or have your mechanic or someone with a LOT of Landcruiser experience to do a pre-purchase inspection on it?

Tony
    Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
    '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
    '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
    '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
    '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
    '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
    '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
    '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
    '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
    '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
    '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
    '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
    '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
    Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Comment

If you are purchasing a vehicle mainly for using bio on, your first step should be to secure your WVO supply, and then start stockpiling it.

Otherwise you might find there isn't any available in your area (for various reasons).
      Sean

Comment

I agree with Tony from WestOz.

see if you can determine the service history - oil changes in Diffs/Txfr and Gearbox, and have a 4WD shop or trusted source do a Pre-inspection, could be worth the money

Comment

A quick look at red book shows that $5K is the top price for an '84 diesel sahara. 500,000kms equals a tad over 20,000kms a year which is okay but it's still a lot of klicks. A quick surf around ebay turned up some better prices. I think you could do better, it's a buyer's market for larger, older 4wds.

Mick

Comment

Originally posted by journeyman Mick View Post
            A quick look at red book shows that $5K is the top price for an '84 diesel sahara. 500,000kms equals a tad over 20,000kms a year which is okay but it's still a lot of klicks. A quick surf around ebay turned up some better prices. I think you could do better, it's a buyer's market for larger, older 4wds.

Mick
            I didn't look at this initially because a Landy generally refers to a Land Rover.
            I would think $2k would be a fair price for a vehicle such as this with significant rego still to run and with a RWC.
            2H motor is an excellent proposition for WVO or Bio fuel.

Comment

Working...
            X