More Pressure needed to make Bio Fuel Pumps Mandatory

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More Pressure needed to make Bio Fuel Pumps Mandatory

As a person who uses BioFuels whenever possible, i find it frustrating that i have to make a 80Km round trip to fill up my car with E10 Unleaded, having asked the relevant ministers both state and federally why service stations aren't required to have an e10 pump for those wishing to use alternate fuels and being told mandatory rules will not work.

Of course mandatory e10 availability will work, if the motorists are given a choice between purchasing e10 unleaded or normal unleaded i bet most would choose to purchase e10, especially with the 3cpl price difference.

I run a 2000 AU2 Falcon sedan and when using e10 i regularly get an extra 50km out of a tank of fuel, the car runs smoother and has better pick up, some service stations reject this by saying that no difference can be shown and they are scared of selling a product which will harm the cars engine.

Unless it is made mandatory for all service stations to stock and sell e10, then alternate fuels will go the same way as beta format videos where the format was superior but was plagued with scaremongering.

Re: More Pressure needed to make Bio Fuel Pumps Mandatory

I don't think it's as simple as that. Not always practical to dig up your service station and put in an extra tank you know...

I guess there is always the option to remove an existing product (say, regular unleaded). But I can't see that happening.

Some encouragement would be good, but I think there are a lot of practical (and business) reasons why making it mandatory isn't such a good idea.

How would you be, if you owned a tiny servo in the middle of nowhere, that almost exclusively sold diesel, and now the government were telling you to put e10 in?
    Please click below for info on how you can help the victims of spinal injury, or just spread the word.

Comment

10% ethanol burned your skin?

Stay away from belgian beers then...
      I'm thinking it may have been something else, as my mouthwash has nearly that much ethanol in it. I suppose that what might have happened, was that the ethanol made it easier for something else in the petrol to penetrate your skin? (Either that, or you had a small cut). Even methylated spirit won't sting unless you have a cut.

In any case, I don't see how it's a negative. I'd rather have some ethanol on my skin that stings a little, than have some benzene which gives you cancer...

In regard to the fuel economy, perhaps the ethanol (given that it contains oxygen) gives a more complete burn of the fuel? Certainly my understanding is that engines run on 100% alcohol require more fuel to be pumped in, unless changes are made to the compression etc.
      TroyH
      Last edited by TroyH; 27 October 2008, 01:40 PM.
      Please click below for info on how you can help the victims of spinal injury, or just spread the word.

Comment

Ethanol is quoted as 96 octane, regular unleaded is 91 octane, that is why it burns more efficiently and gives better mileage and performance, as for burning yourself, if you beleive that is was the e10 then give up drinking spirits if you do as the amount of alcohol in spirits far outweighs e10 so imagine what your insides must look like

Comment

Just a note, octane rating has absolutely nothing to do with efficiency.

It's literally a measure of the fuel's resistance to pre-ignition, relative to n-heptane and iso-octane (which I suspect is related to the activation energy of the reaction).

There is all sorts of nonsense floating around various internet forums.

It just means you can run higher compression on a car running ethanol.

The V8 supercars are about to start running on E100 I believe (maybe E85).

Reports are that after a few changes to the setup, they are getting very similar performance and fuel economy as they were from their old fuel.
          Thats based on comments from (I think) Steve Richards, in an interview at Bathurst.

Also, the Octane rating (RON ) of E100 is actually about 116. E10 is a fair bit lower.
          TroyH
          Last edited by TroyH; 27 October 2008, 01:38 PM.

Comment

Troy bloody hell that is good info, 116 Octane, you little ripper I am about to run my 87 model Peugeot 205GTi on the same stuff those V8 cars did last week end, I am thoroughly looking forward to that. Only have to keep those drums sealed very tight and make sure the engine rebuild uses good materials.

Go ethanol!

It is E98 actually in the V8 supercars , 2% petrol and some upper cylinder lubricant.

Matt
            Biodiesel Bandit

Landcruiser '98 80 series B100.

Comment

Working...
            X