KOH Amount

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KOH Amount

Do people use 5 or 7 gms as the base amount of KOH?

Re: KOH Amount

7 for KOH. If you are using 90% pure, then use 7.7 grains. Use the same KOH in the titration fluid and it is self compensating for the titration number.

If in doubt, use more KOH. If you overdose you will only loose a very small amount of biodiesel to soap, but you will ensure a good conversion.

Comment

Thanks again!!!

Comment

Chev28,
        Where are you getting your KOH from? Mitchell? Fyshwick?
        If so how much did you buy and what was the cost like, also what sort of container does it come in?
        I have only ever used NaOH but will need to change at some stage.
        HDJ80 (aka Kiwipete)
        Canberra

Comment

Hi,

Mitchell for the KOH. 20kg for $90 or 5kg for $40.

20 litre drum of Methanol from Hill and Co yesterday $48 ($10 knocked off for slightly rusty handle - no damage to drum or contents).

Where do you go for KOH in Fyshwick? I tried hydroquip but they only have NaOH.

Cheers

Adam

Comment

Originally posted by Chev28
            Mitchell for the KOH. 20kg for $90 or 5kg for $40.

20 litre drum of Methanol from Hill and Co yesterday $48 ($10 knocked off for slightly rusty handle - no damage to drum or contents).

Where do you go for KOH in Fyshwick? I tried hydroquip but they only have NaOH.
            Adam,
            I have been buying my NaOH from the supermarkets in 500gram lots, only costs $3.00 and it stays sealed until I use it and then usually only opened once.
            I gave up buying 20litre drums from Hill&Co I now get them to deliver 200litre drums at $299.20c.
            What I think we should all do is to get together and have a bulk buying spree...in Sydney, as I think there methanol is quite alot cheaper than what we buy it for. That also goes for KOH as well...maybe?
            HDJ80 (aka Kiwipete)
            Canberra

Comment

hdj80, for interest: which NaOH do you buy for $3,00. i am using NaoH (mechanix from woolworths) and the biggest problem with my test batches so far was dissolving the NaOH in methanol... do you have problems as well? how long does it usually take?

Comment

the biggest problem with my test batches so far was dissolving the NaOH in methanol... do you have problems as well? how long does it usually take?
                That's one of the reasons for using KOH. The other is liquid by-product.

Comment

Working...
                X