Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VW parts prices

Hi guys

I have a VW salesamn on my back about a diesel Jetta. While I really am interested, I'm wondering about VW parts costs as opposed to Mazda? I am also looking at a Mazda6 diesel (if they ever come out!). So decisions decisions......

Thanks!

Re: VW parts prices

At a guess, I'd reckon that the VW parts would be more expensive, as all European parts here tend to be. I don't really have any experience of the VW parts though. I am also probably looking at the Mazda next year, rather than the VW, but I'll wait until then to decide.
    Robert.
    Site Admin.

Comment

Re: VW parts prices

Originally posted by vectorskink
      Hi guys

I have a VW salesamn on my back about a diesel Jetta. While I really am interested, I'm wondering about VW parts costs as opposed to Mazda? I am also looking at a Mazda6 diesel (if they ever come out!). So decisions decisions......

Thanks!
      When I was young, the "accepted wisdom" amongst mechanics of my aquaintance (admittedly in those days, either Holden men or Ford men) was that if you had to buy Japanese, Mazda were to be avoided as parts were too dear!

Now I have a Volkswagen, and would recommend it to anybody over ANY Japanese car (if I was buying a sedan the diesel Jetta would be top of my list)

BUT, the parts for a VW are poisonously expensive. For example, if I need to buy brake pads I will probably need rotors (discs) as well, as they are made of a metal designed to wear at the same rate as the pads! Awesome stopping power but something like $800 to do the job! Admittedly that is for a 2.5 tonne Touareg, but it's the same people.

I think the real difference is not the OEM parts cost - they are all crooks - but whether you can get local aftermarket parts for your routine servicing needs after the warranty runs out. Probably more available for the Mazda, although the diesel will be brand new on the market...

Other ways to compare, ring up the service dept of a Mazda dealer and a VW dealer and get quotes for std services. Then find out the service intervals. Usually diesels are more often than petrol cars, but VW saves a bit there - NO "first service" (they do that one in the factory) and 15000km oil changes on the T'reg diesel. Other servicing at multiples of 30k.

Good luck whatever you decide!

..Neil

VW Touareg R5 TDI

Comment

Working...
      X