Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any Updates on VW's

Hi All
    Im so hanging to purchase a diesel powered car. Was wondering if anybody had any new news regarding VW's and bio diesel? Also where is a good place to track down an earlier model golf tdi, I belive there are a few from the 1990's floating around.
    It would be cool if people could start to advertise diesel cars on this site for us newbies to snap up. Its driving me crazy to track down a good diesel (as in performance, newish and bio compliant). Im thinking about 90 model mercs but they have particulate filters like vw and am unsure about them and bio(which is there excuse for not using bio). Ouch if you had replacement parts for a merc!!
    I have no need for a large 4x4 and dont want an old Rudolf special. Any suggestions?? NO Peugeot's !!!! may aswell get a pink one! sorry guys if your a peugeot driver.

Cheers, let the abuse by peugeot drivers begin!!

Re: Any Updates on VWs

No update that I know of and I'd doubt there would be for a while either. VW are not going to go changing their policy here any time soon, so expect lots more vague mumblings and excuses about why you can use biodiesel in the same vehicles overseas, but not here. I think the particulate filter bit is just a load of crap, so I would not let that throw you off the scent of any other vehicle that as a filter (like I said in the other thread).
    As for a classifieds section, yes, I have been asked this on a few occasions and I may well add a classifieds component to the forum when I do the much touted and awaited grand upgrade, probably in a month or two (when I can get the time).
    Robert.
    Site Admin.

Comment

Re: Any Updates on VW's, Now - Why shoul you expect one? Its a French plot.

To Dieseldude in the best of intentions, my Peugeot say tough titty about VW's and your inability to find something to drive than runs on something else!! Another source of misinformation and obsfucation nes't pas?

They tried to copy the high pressure common rail with their pump deuche (sp?), it sounds more like something you might do in a bidet!

Purple be damned, they come in red and silver as far as I know!

Now go keep looking and get back to us.

Sincerely yours,
      Matt

Yes I drive a peugeot, 2 of them one at a time, one red using petrol the other silver running on smething else nah nah nah.

Written purely as jest so please do not take it any other way. Buggered up the spleeing in the title rats!
      Biodiesel Bandit

Landcruiser '98 80 series B100.

Comment

Re: Any Updates on VW's

I'm not sure if my Toyota Hilux with a turbo charged 2.4 litre engine is classified as an 'old Rudolf special', but I specifically chose it over the newer engines coming out. It runs, and runs, and runs on virtually anything I dump in the tank. At 8.6 litres per 100 km, it works for me.

It's a four-door, 2WD truck with a limited slip differential. It goes virtually anywhere a 4WD vehicle can go, it just does it with a lot less weight and mechanical complexity. Oh yeah, and parts are available anywhere and don't cost anything near what a Merc does.

Horses for courses I say, and I have mine saddled up right now to go on a trip.

Comment

As this seems a thread for bagging what people drive, I will join in. The parts I have purchased for my merc have all been cheaper than the toyota I owned (I could get a merc waterpump $200 cheaper than a toyota one)

And so Terry wont get upset I would have to admit the hiace commuter I drove recentley, (also with a 3litre diesel) was stupidly fast compared to my merc. It was 25 years younger, but towing a trailer, and had 11 kids in it.

Oh yeah and the merc seems to use 14L/ 100 of whatever I put in the tank.

And as I have a beard, people ring the terrorist hotline when I run out of veg oil in front of landmarks.

Ok so you dont buy waterpumps that often, and you do take off from lights often, so who cares about waterpumps.

I didn't really think this through did I.
          bugger.
          cheers<BR>Chris.<BR>1990 landcruiser 80, 1HD-T two tank, copper pipe HE+ 20 plate FPHE, toyota solenoids and filters. 1978 300D, elsbett one tank system.<BR>

Comment

My brother has TWO Mercs, a 300D and a 300TD. The 300D has been running and running and running on low conversion biodiesel and WVO for years now. The only problem he has had (in Washington State, USA) was a cold wintery morning where he got the blend in the tank wrong. He walked back to the house and waited a couple of hours, went back and the sun had warmed it up enough he could drive it. Other than that lesson in blending, he hasn't had a hic-up of maintenance.

The 300TD goes like a rocket, too bad about parts for the worn turbo.

I had to replace the water pump on my Hilux. It cost $200 - you sure you didn't mean to say the Merc pump was $200 MORE than the Toyota?

We have had some discussions about Peak Oil on this forum. When the SHTF, it is not going to be an issue about quality fuel to put in your common rail system - the issue will be simply FUEL. I go back to the 1970's and remember the queue's for petrol. People sleeping in their vehicles overnight so that they would be first, second....37th...54th in line to get fuel.

When you have to get a member of the family to the hospital and all you have for fuel is some Citronella Lamp oil, some Bi-lo vegetable oil and some used motor oil, I want to have either a Merc or Toyota in the driveway.

Comment

No, I did mean I could get one $200 cheaper, but not than a hilux one.

I had a corona (which I latter dropped a petrol twin cam turbo motor into to make a "sleeper", but thats another story) The cheapest I could get a waterpump for was $250 (only genuine availble, could not get one non-genuine, or have the original repaired).
              I could get one for the merc as a dodgy import for $40. (I did read on the net there were inferior ones with pressed impellor blades instead of cast ones, I presumed this to be one of these)
              I bought one for merc as the-same-factory-as-genuine for $115 (mbspares.com.au)
              Perhaps I should have said I bought one cheaper than the toyota one.
              Mind you I did price a merc waterpump from the local merc dealership, and it was about $350. I guess because mercs are everywhere globally there are more spares, both dodgy and reasonable.

Originally posted by Terry Syd
              When you have to get a member of the family to the hospital and all you have for fuel is some Citronella Lamp oil, some Bi-lo vegetable oil and some used motor oil, I want to have either a Merc or Toyota in the driveway.
              I have only been in one merc (mine, and it could have something wrong with it) but unless you are in line for a big inheritance, I would pick the toyota for this job!
              As only being a little kid in the 70's I did remember the parents getting rid of the powerboat and buying a sailing boat.
              cheers<BR>Chris.<BR>1990 landcruiser 80, 1HD-T two tank, copper pipe HE+ 20 plate FPHE, toyota solenoids and filters. 1978 300D, elsbett one tank system.<BR>

Comment

HA HA i knew i would stir the pot. Fact is praise be to Rudolf for inventing something with sustainabilty in mind way back when! Anything is better than walking or slipping in horse exhaust. But with so much to choose from (well not really but there a few more diesels popping up) y cant we be picky??
                So does ANYONE have an idea about 90 model golfs?? how about 190d mercs?? any experiance with these, herd the car is great but is laking in the momentum department. Has anybody had anything to deal with importing??
                I had an idea import some diesels from europe cheap and market them down under as fuel savers i recon will shift a few considering people are paying 35k plus on new diesels. I know ill buy a MK 4 golf TDI left, right , middle hand drive dont care. For about half of 35k maybe even less, for sure think of the savings and is bio ready (I THINK).
                Come on get the classifields up and going!!!!!Stop driving ur "classics" around and get some good examples of what diesels are capable of (without holding up banks and so forth)!!
                Shame we missed out on some good models down under and to think just cause of some ppm crap!!

Comment

Hmmm - this is a difficult thread.... I have a 2005 TD Audi which is the same platform as the VW Golf.

The line from VW seems to the same here as the USA - 5% max. To be honest I think that WE are the problem. The lack of BD made and measured against a standard means problems for the car manufacturers.

The scenario that I think they work on is the home brewer who makes lousy fuel - stuffs a perfectly good injector system and then blames VW because they said it would run on BD.....

I am not running B100 in the audi - and I probably never will. As it is a corporate car I stick to using B20-B50. In summer I may let that drift upwards.

From what I have learnt here and elsewhere I believe that the BD kit is just a line heater to ensure a low viscosity fuel - thus my caution with the Audi over winter (yes it does get cold in the western suburbs of Brisbane!).

If you are chasing a golf get one pre PD system and if you want to run B100 then get a fuel heater - they come in many forms.

As for car part prices Toyo look pretty good against Nissan and Audi!!

Good luck,
                  Paul
                  Brisbane
                  80 series TDi with 100K on B100
                  2005 Audi A3 TDi B20-B50 60K on BD
                  1993 Daihatsu Rocky - B100 20K on BD - all good!

Comment

Dieseldude,, If You cant find what you're looking for, your not looking. I think your really just a teenage catholic schoolgirl whos found a new chatroom to flirt around.
                    If your serious to start burning biodiesel and get off the "blood of Iraqi children" merry go round ,, Go here TRADING POST and search in your state only and search for "Diesel".
                    Check out this gorgious head turner.

How about a 40 foot bus to convert into a grey nomad mobile home for $1500 fifteen hundred BUCKS!!
                    later model Mersedes Benz 300d for $10,000 Ten grand.
                    darren leonadas
                    Last edited by darren leonadas; 14 August 2006, 12:58 PM.

Comment

Dude I dont wanna know that you fantasize about catholic school girls, ur trying to look up the wrong skirt. I just wanna find out if anyone knows of a good place to track down hard to get cars. YES i know of trading post and all the other sites, thought it wouldnt hurt asking around this forum for people also looking and may have stumbled accross a good source. If no one can help out with info or ideas about my actual question (90 model golfs) no biggie, save you energy to make bio.

Cheers
                      Dieseldude
                      Last edited by Dieseldude; 14 August 2006, 02:43 PM.

Comment

Hey Dude,

(Now why do I tick my young boys for talking like that?)

Please don't take anything too seriously here. I for one would love to see you find the VW, just to prove the 1D10T$ at VW Australia wrong.

The big issue I see is that you are not going to find one, that is a TDI from more than a few years back. I am not sure but didn't VW stop the old diesels well back in the early 80's? The sales bloke I asked the same question of three years back, said that since VW was 1% of the market and diesels were 1% of their market then why would they bring in diesels? Well 12, months later, jeeze I wish I could have done their market research and charged accordingly!

Go for it, just don;t pass over the Peugeot's, at least I know they run B100. Ha ha ha

Matt
                        Biodiesel Bandit

Comment

From my research i found an article on golf tdi's in aus (drive.com.au) your right they had a diesel ages ago then a break then they released a small amount of 3rd generation tdi in the early 90's. In the article it was noted that only a small bunch of enthusiasts would have these even said a price round the 10 grand mark. Theres obviously no connection through this forum so my search will continue. Im sure peugeots are good cars just not my thing.But i might have to bight the bullet and learn to like them. Or ill buy a new tdi and sneak some bio in!! give me a heads up if anything changes

Comment

Yep that is what I thought. If I was you I would not give up on the VW, take it from me they are well built better in my opinion than the Pugs but pugs have a better engine injection system.

Again if I was you I would be lookin around for the desired VW and then with a supply of well made fuel start increasing the percentages. Do this in summer so as to not have other things influencing it and see how go. Given the yanks are doing it I bet you can too. Winter will require the heater that is about it.

Have you looked here?
                            http://forums.tdiclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=52
                            Above all have fun,
                            Matt
                            Matt
                            Last edited by Matt; 15 August 2006, 11:30 AM.
                            Biodiesel Bandit

Comment

No Offence meant dieseldude, I Just wanna see you burning bio soon.

Comment

Working...
                              X