Hose in Hose Set up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hose in Hose Set up

I'm using WVO, cottonseed oil as this is all I can access at moment,low gel point and I'm wanting to be able to bring that up to as high temp in my hilux as quick as I can, my filter is heated both collant and electric, but I'm going to have to do more, so I'm going to heat my fuel tank aswell with a stainless steel innercore, now but I'm thinking whist running hot water back there along undercarriage, I should go the extra distance and try setting up a hose in hose system to make the most out of heat transfer. I've read that copper piping is reactive with wast oil, some electrolitic reaction occurs, so I'll avoid copper and instead because I'm handy with a tig I'm thinking of using stainless pipe to travel the 2.5 mitre trek along the chassis rail, and concocting it in however way to provide heat transfer, has anyone out there done their own hih system and if so have they been able to use stainless, or if done another way how have you gone about it, any opions or advice on this would be great.

Re: Hose in Hose Set up

giday mate,
    use 1/2 inch s/steel or alloy inside 3/4 heater hose, this is important heating everything whilst in the cooler months, i use 5/8 inside 1 inch hose.
    cheers mark
    2003 F250 powerstroke 100,000km
    3 cly deutz diesel
    2 cly deutz diesel
    1994 2.8lt hilux 50,000km

Comment

about sending hot water back to the main tank.
      i have a small start up tank and use the main tank for filtered wvo,heater before filter ,thought about heating oil before it has to be sucked all the way through those tiny lines designed for dino. trouble is thers all that extra plumbing and potential problem spots IDEA. why not simply replace fuel lines with larger diam.
      was goimg to use 1/2'' copper until i heard copper is a catalyst for oxidation
      thinking of useing 1/2'' aluminium or steel , still head scratching. any info.

Comment

Dont forget you can use 1/2" nylon (often used for air hose, it is quite stiff) instead of metal.
        Some other options could also include a hose on hose setup. By bundling your coolant/ fuel hoses together, any leaks will not leak coolant into the fuel, It will heat the oil less than a hose in a hose, but still should stop the oil from gelling.
        I made up some fittings to do hose in hose, but have not used them. When I get to put a heated line in, I will probably do hose-on-hose, unless space is an issue. I do rely on an engine compartment fuel heater to supply most of my heating.
        Captain Echidna
        Last edited by Captain Echidna; 15 August 2006, 06:59 PM.
        cheers<BR>Chris.<BR>1990 landcruiser 80, 1HD-T two tank, copper pipe HE+ 20 plate FPHE, toyota solenoids and filters. 1978 300D, elsbett one tank system.<BR>

Comment

I have used copper pipe in all of my conversions with no problems due to copper corrosion. In fact, the only problems I have had were due to air in the fuel system, electric fuel pumps not designed for veggie oil viscosity and forgetting to change back to my starting fuel. There have been a couple of fuel hoses which needed replacing too.
          Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
          '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
          '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
          '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
          '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
          '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
          '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
          '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
          '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
          '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
          '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
          '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
          '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
          Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Comment

nylon sounds like the way to go thanks C.E.
            Tony i used copper in my heat exchange too. copper does not corrode or react but acts as CATALYST for oxidation. but i reccon fuel is only in the heat exchange for sutch a short time it wouldnt matter and when it stands overnight it should have dino in it[according to plan]
            i do wonder if its worth worrying about though, as copper is nice to work with

Comment

Here is a diagram of HIH construction and a cross-section of a HOH heated fuel line.
              Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Previous Vehicles:
              '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
              '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)

Comment

Thanks for all the feedback, I'm going to get hold of some stainless tubing and have a bit of a muck around with it and hopefully come up with something leakproof and heat efficient and I'll get back and let you all know how it goes. I'm pretty adamant about not using copper as my oil will be sitting in these lines long term and oxidation will happen and what effect this has on the motor, injector pump and lines I'm not sure but it sounds like a slow corrosive effect on metal components. I recon I can figure something out in stainless, it's just with these lower gel point oils I want to be as heat effective as I can be and a little more time spent will be worth it all down the track. Thanks all for your thoughts and the info.. </IMG>

Comment

I have seen copper go green with veg oil, but I am not sure why, and would not be surprised if it has something to do with water and air. For some reason it seems only for parts not often used. Mind you the only thing I remember about high school chemistry was failing it.

Mind you I still have used it in my conversion for a heat exchanger.
                  cheers<BR>Chris.<BR>1990 landcruiser 80, 1HD-T two tank, copper pipe HE+ 20 plate FPHE, toyota solenoids and filters. 1978 300D, elsbett one tank system.<BR>

Comment

Tony thanks for your very useful input on this forum and on my website too.
                    I am in the process of getting parts for my hose in hose setup. I can find the parts in plastic or in brass. Would it make a difference either way?
                    Cheers Jo straight vegetable oil conversion

Comment

I have used 1/2" nylon tubing inside 1" hose with brass compression fittings to terminate. Works a treat - no leaks. Recently I relocated the WVO filter & pump in the engine bay so I had to replace to olive & re-do the compression fittings. There was no sign of fatigue in the tubing which has been in place for about 18 months, this is in my Patrol which spends a lot of time off road.
                      MQ Patrol - WVO since 2005

Comment

Are you using nylon air line hose?

What is the pressure rating of the hose?

Regards,
                        tony

Previous Vehicles:

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Ute View Post
                          I have used 1/2" nylon tubing inside 1" hose with brass compression fittings to terminate. Works a treat - no leaks. Recently I relocated the WVO filter & pump in the engine bay so I had to replace to olive & re-do the compression fittings. There was no sign of fatigue in the tubing which has been in place for about 18 months, this is in my Patrol which spends a lot of time off road.

Where did u get your nylon, what colour, what price
                          Vegetable Fuels PTY LTD

Comment

The line is marked Esdan nylon flexible tube JJ 5435. 1/2" & rated to 250PSI.
                            It is semi translucent / white in colour & takes standard brass compression fittings. I don't know for sure what it's intended use is, maybe post-mix dispensing?
                            I sourced the hose from Brierley Hose & Handling, a local industrial hose supplier.
                            MQ Patrol - WVO since 2005

Comment

Was the 1'' tubing a hose or nylon as the inner?

Do you have a photo to put in the forum??
                              nature fuels
                              Last edited by nature fuels; 13 December 2006, 04:32 PM.
                              Vegetable Fuels PTY LTD

Comment

Working...
                              X