bulk methanol and koh

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bulk methanol and koh

Just wondering if anyone knows who sells methanol in 205litre drums other than whiteys at merrylands and 25kg bags of koh or naoh i tried kleenco but a 25kg bag of koh was 70 bucks i have heard of some people buying it for 25 bucks a bag from ajax chemicals in qld and meth for 175 dollars a drum
    but not sure who is the cheapest in sydney
    any help much appreciated
    captain
    Captain_caveman
    Last edited by Captain_caveman; 5 October 2006, 01:27 AM.
    sigpic

Re: bulk methanol and koh

$75 for 25kg isn't too bad ($3kg). If you buy caustic off the shelf at Woolworths it works out to be $7 per kg. I expect to pay more than $75 for 25kg of KOH. As for the methanol, I am paying up to $390 for 220ltr in the country. I have found pure isopropyl alcohol the hardest ingredient to source. But I have finally found some and had to buy it in bulk, so if anyone wants some sent to them, let me know, I've got plenty......

Comment

Hi Caveman

You should be grateful at $70 per bag of KOH, Just yesterday I got slogged $150 for a bag, which has gone up $30 since the last time I went there. (Custom chemicals @ Tomago, Newcastle) He mumbled something about the weak $AUD and Orica going broke.

Anyone know of a company you can order KOH online???

Cheers
      Marcus

PS Hows the dry washing going????

Comment

Marcy and Bluey, check the date on Capt's original post..it's 2006.

Current price at Kleenco is $110 for a 25Kg Bag and Methanol $225 for a 205L barrel from Whitey's.

You can buy both from Deltex at Giraween, Ph 9636 0900, prices are fairly similar the last time I checked (about a month ago). KOH may be a little cheaper.

Comment

damn

I was just following bluey

But as I said, $150 a bag

Comment

can someone help me on those items in Shepparton Vic -- i cant get any one to tell me where i can acquire same

Comment

Gday
              Better late than never they say by the way im using NaOH at $49 a bag up from $35 the last time i bought it the guy a kleeco reckoned it was the goverment that put the price up because of people using it for bio,well that was his excuse for the price rise i'm not sure if there's any truth to that.
              thanks caveman
              ps: marcus the dry washing is working a treat thanks to the guys here on the forum
              Captain_caveman
              Last edited by Captain_caveman; 29 March 2009, 12:59 AM.
              sigpic

Comment

Caveman

I'm dry washing my first batch at the moment, and think I'm sold, have to wait a couple of days for the results.

I went back to using NaOH for my last batch because of the price difference, but never again. The troubles I had. Even though I used a 5% prewash, the next morning my processor was clogged solid aaaarrgghhhh and it wasn't even a cold night, maybe 18C at the worst. Then I forgot to empty the glyc and ended up with 2 containers solid as a rock..... Not sure KOH is worth $100 more than NaOH, but I paid it.

Was scratching my head a bit on how to unclog the processor, but luckily mines set on a pallet, so I just moved it into the sunlight and about 4 hours later, with a bit of help from a stick I got things flowing again. My other option probably shouldn't be mentioned here, due to the backlash I might receive.

Cheers
                Marcus

Comment

Gday marcus
                  I don't let my biodiesel settle overnight i allow 1-2 hours then drain while things are still warm then i pump the rest into my wash tank nothing ever get's clogged
                  thanks caveman
                  ps: marcus forget 5% prewash more trouble than its worth
                  Captain_caveman
                  Last edited by Captain_caveman; 29 March 2009, 04:39 PM.
                  sigpic

Comment

Caveman

Yeah the reason I let it settle overnight was that I'd read that if you use a 5% pre-wash, then it won't clog up, hence the pre-wash. That post was obviously wrong, can't believe everything you read eh...

Marcus

Comment

As everyone knows there is PLENTY of water here in the UK but when youv've struggled with the long process of 'hit and miss' water washing & then bolt two or even three ten inch DRY filters together down to 1micron and put your'e settled bio thro them- you'd never ever go back to the water treatment because it is just self inflicted torture. Due to the problems with water I thought at first I'd never be able to make bio quickly as I do now in 4 Hours Total.---------- I thought there was hardly any water in OZ anyway --only hot dust in most places ??????????

Comment

Working...
                      X