diesel cars so many choices!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• diesel cars so many choices!

i am seeking advise on what diesel cars are a good choice.
    im only 18 never made bd but very keen to get into the scene.
    the big problem $$$ iv only got around $3,000. it would be good to have somthing with some room for transporting wvo etc., it seems all vehicles in my price range have done 400,000ks or more. any advise?

Re: diesel cars so many choices!

If you want something to use for transporting veggie oil, you will need a ute or a car and trailer. You should be able to get a fairly good 2WD ute or diesel car.
    I had a Mazda Capella (grey import) with 200 000km which I bought for $3K a couple of years ago. I have bought Mercedes 300Ds for $3-6K.. I have seen Nissan, Ford, Mazda utes and vans with under 300 000km below $3K.

Keep looking.
    Body condition is as important as engine mileage.
    If the engine starts easily from cold, with minimal Glow Plug usage, then the engine should have good compression.
    Check for excessive blow-by gases by removing the oil cap and seeing if it blows the cap off, or smokes REALLY BAD from the oil filler. Some smoke is normal, try a few good diesel engines to get a feel for the amount of smoke you should expect.
    Check for oil leaks (after a test drive of 10 km or more) by parking on a clean, smooth concrete area and looking underneath after 10 minutes or so.
    Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
    '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
    '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
    '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
    '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
    '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
    '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
    '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
    '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
    '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
    '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
    '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
    '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
    Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Comment

Worth looking at older 4WD's. With fuel prices the way they are a lot of 4WD owners find they can't afford to run them and are buying smaller cars. [Fuel isn't such an issue for the likes of us ;-) ]

Most 4WD's have decent cargo space... or towing capacity.

Don't be put off by a big mileage. A well looked after diesel engine has a lot of life in it... more than your average petrol engine.

As an example. I recently bought a secondhand 1984 Toyota HJ60. Reasonable condition. Needs about $1500 worth of repairs.

But it only cost $2000.

Still with original everything.... and a lot of extras.

AFAIK, it's NEVER been offroad.

I could have bought several much newer 4WD's if I'd been willing to spend 4 - 5K.
      Last edited by kamel; 17 August 2006, 04:04 AM.

Comment

Hi Liam,
        great to meet you in person at the MBDC club meet last night at CERES.
        Keep in mind our vision of soon having a welding workshop to construct a "Suck trailer", from some recycled 44's and a trailer chasse and gear pump etc. The suck trailer will be stationed at CERES for any club member to borrow and service a pick up of WVO oil. So if your not into driving a ute or small pickup truck, you could still get a sedan or more normal looking car, as long as it has a tow bar. Towing a load is one of the beauties of a diesel.
        Have a good look at the trading post online, and click in your state "Victoria" and search the key word Diesel.
        Good luck mate,, I've seen some bargains out there and kicked myself for jumping at the car i have.
        Cheers Darren.

Comment

I get the oil from my cafes when the change it, and get it in 20l containers (one I supple the container, the other puts it in the drum it comes in)

If you can get something similar, you dont need a trailer or ute, just some newspaper in the boot, and some rag for spillages.
          I have a 300d I paid about 3500 for, but it was in good nick, and as the phrase goes, there is no more expensive car than a cheap mercedes!
          cheers<BR>Chris.<BR>1990 landcruiser 80, 1HD-T two tank, copper pipe HE+ 20 plate FPHE, toyota solenoids and filters. 1978 300D, elsbett one tank system.<BR>

Comment

Working...
          X